Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Not all of these old coaches appear that horrible if you look at records and what they did for the early program.
    Yes, I think you are correct. I fessed up to that yesterday.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Really enjoying this, vet. Best countdown thread we've had. Single digits tomorrow!

Observations:

Not all of these old coaches appear that horrible if you look at records and what they did for the early program.

The Feeney pitch to Reggie in that UND game is almost as good as "The Pitch" for those who've never seen it. Damn, did we have a good time that weekend.

Wonder if we'll ever get AP love again? Tough with no FBS games.....
    Agreed! I make a motion to nominate Vet70 into the role of "The Official Countdown Thread Starter".
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    Agreed! I make a motion to nominate Vet70 into the role of "The Official Countdown Thread Starter".
    "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."
    Too late. Everyone else has already taken a step backwards, you are the lone B-viller at the front of the line.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post
    Too late. Everyone else has already taken a step backwards, you are the lone B-viller at the front of the line.
    I temporarily forgot the number one rule I learned over 50 years ago: never volunteer. I have regained my sanity (sort of).
    Paul Fix

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I temporarily forgot the number one rule I learned over 50 years ago: never volunteer. I have regained my sanity (sort of).
    I think you inadvertently volunteered by coming up with such a solid thread. And if (and by if I mean when) we win the national championship this year you won't have a choice about this next year. Much like bi5on being the official game day thread starter, it's just the way it is now.

Keep up the good work on this thread, we're almost there. Start strong, finish stronger.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

It is day 9 in our backward counting in fixed units from our arbitrary starting number of day 50/51 to mark the time remaining before the event we have all been waiting for finally arrives. That means SINGLE DIGITS have arrived at last. Meanwhile, I give you #9 Kole Heckendorf, (2004-2008) 137 career receptions, 1,988 yards, and 13 touchdowns. The most memorable thing to me about Kole is two game-winners from Steve Walker against SHSU and Cal Poly with virtually no time left.

Before getting more into how day 9 specifically relates to the Bison I want to finish my rant about "Things That Really Bug Vet" in regard to the football speak that we will hear over and over again this season:
    **They wanted the game more. Really? You mean regardless of the level of talent on the field all you have to do is want it more? That adds a whole new dimension to recruiting.
    **We have to give, or we gave 110%. This is totally impossible. I try my very best in writing these posts every day and no matter how hard I try I can never get above 105%.
    **Its a game of inches or they are playing with a short field. Actually, in this country at the collegiate and pro level, it is a game played on a field that is 160 feet wide and 120 yards long even if there is a garage door at the end. In Canada, the field is even larger, but we all know they are really weird at everything, eh.
    ** It's only a yard but it is a long or short yard. What? All yards are 3 feet or 36 inches long. At least that is what I was taught. I even checked and rechecked a yardstick.
    **They need to start milking the clock. What kind of milk? Would that be whole, skim, 2%? I like Almond.
    **We need to take these games one at a time. I have to admit this makes absolutely perfect sense. Playing two or more games at the same time would be really hard, even for the Bison.
    **In football (fill in the blanks) minutes are a lifetime.
    Even at 60 minutes that is a pretty short lifetime. After an internet search, I couldn't find anything that lives only 60 minutes.
    **There is no love lost between these two teams. I don't get it. If there is no love "lost" doesn't that mean they really love one another? Not that there is anything wrong with that. Thanks again, Seinfeld.
    **What a hit, he will feel that tomorrow. If it is that great of a hit he should have felt it that when it happened.
    **They need to play for a full 60 minutes and/or its a game of two halves. Aren't those the rules?
    **There is no quit in that team. Sure there is, all teams quit. The Bison quit when the game is over, and teams like SHSU will quit a lot sooner.
    **They are just marching down the field. Is this a football game or halftime with the JSU band? I guess the marching band could refuse to yield when the half is over. You know, like Don McLean's "American Pie?"
    **XYZ team is running downhill. Does that mean the other team is running uphill? You would think that any University or Pro team would at least invest in a field that is level.
    **He called his own number. Does Stick really get in the huddle and just say "#12"?
    **They are running the ball down their throat or up the gut.
    Ouch. Either way that has to hurt.
    **They really want to get 6 here. Actually, they probably want 7 or 8.
    **The game will be decided by turnovers. Good, that simplifies things. All we have to do from now on is have fewer turnovers than the other team and not worry about the score.

Okay, that's enough about cliches. There are other "Things That Really Bug Vet", but that is all that I'll share on this topic.

**Paul J. Davis had a 10-7-1 (.583) record as the 9th Bison head coach (1915-1917).
    **The career record for fumbles recovered is 9 and belongs to Clem Clooten (1975-1977).
    **As everyone knows NDSU knows is 9-3 against FBS teams. The record against each of the four conferences is Big 10: 3-1; Big 12: 3-1; MAC: 2-0; and Mountain West: 1-1. Bring on the Pac-12.
    **The Bison have beaten ISU--B 9 out of 10 times. We should have never lost that game in 2012 and it st still is one of those "Things That Really Bug Vet".

Whenever I reflect on a former Bison wearing the #9 jersey one of my first thoughts is Esley Thorton (6-3, 225 pounds; 2010-2014). A number of Bison have switched positions (like James Hendricks and Marquise Bridges) and Esley was one of those players. Thornton was a backup quarterback in 2011 who switched sides of the ball to become a linebacker. At that position and on special teams Esley recorded 132 tackles during his career (69 unassisted). He had two interceptions in 2014, the most important of which was with 8 seconds left against Illinois State. That is when Coach Spack and ISU-R ran out of time. When Esley made that game-saving catch I imagine he felt a great deal of satisfaction after dropping an interception earlier in the 4th quarter. I hope he got to keep the ball.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

Marquise Bridges (5-11, 180-pound Junior) is a #9 that I am excited to watch play cornerback this season. In 2016 he moved from wide receiver and so far he has played in 18 games and is credited with 22 tackles (14 unassisted). In 2017 he had 3 interceptions, the most important of which came in his first career start against JMU due to injuries to Wimbush and Allison. The big play came when JMU was at the Bison 20 yard line and Bridges made the catch at the 3. Because of his play, Marquisee will be a starting corner this season allowing Wimbush to move to safety. If he comes to the shutdown corner that he appears to be capable of being we are going to have a killer defense this year (whoops, there goes a cliche "That Really Bugs Vet").
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

Day 9 is in the books and mercifully there are only 8 to go before the season kicks off.
    Paul Fix

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70;1291000[B
    ]**The Bison have beaten ISU--B 9 out of 10 times. We should have never lost that game in 2012 and it still is one of those "Things That Really Bug Vet".[/B]
    That game was decided by turnovers.

Vet, what about all the great players 51/52 to 99 that did not get mentioned in your countdown? I think you need to finish this sometime.

Great job with the countdown vet70.

Just one addition to your day 9 countdown post would be there are 2 #9's for the defending FCS and 14 time National Champions the North Dakota State University Bison.

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8055

#9 Carson Yaggie
    Class: Redshirt Freshman
    Position: Wide Receiver
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 197
    Hometown: Breckenridge, Minn.
    High School: Breckenridge HS

*2017 MVFC Honor Roll

2017 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the season as a redshirt in the Bison program...Made the Missouri Valley Football Conference honor roll.

HIGH SCHOOL: 2017 graduate of Breckenridge High School...Three-year starter who played quarterback, wide receiver and safety under coach Chad Fredericksen...Completed 61 percent of his passes for a school-record 1,962 yards and 20 touchdowns his senior year...Added seven rushing TDs...Passed for career-record 3,721 yards and was responsible for 52 total TDs...Single-game record 334 passing yards...Went 15-6 as starting QB...First team all-conference in 2015 and 2016...Section quarterback of the year...Two-year starter in basketball...Four-year starter on the baseball diamond...Honor roll student...Participates in Mathletes, JETS and Knowledge Bowl.

PERSONAL: Majoring in agricultural economics...Son of Jeff and Janet Yaggie...Has two brothers, Connor and Preston, and a sister, Lauren...Latest in family’s long line of NDSU students...Great uncle Bob Yaggie and cousins Bruce Yaggie and Alex Yaggie played football for the Bison...Cousin Brooke Yaggie played women’s basketball at NDSU.

Good luck with the upcoming season and in the classroom Carson.

Go Bison!

Dewey