Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    That game was decided by turnovers.
    I see what you did there. Here I thought it was because they scored three more points than we did.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Vet, what about all the great players 51/52 to 99 that did not get mentioned in your countdown? I think you need to finish this sometime.
    SD that is a good point but a project that someone will have to take on. For me, day 1 on this countdown is it unless hell freezes over. That will be when UN_wins an FCS National Championship which will never happen since I have it straight from SS that they are about to go to the FBS any year now.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

I have a present for you, my friend, for all of your hard work on this thread (and, Lord knows, that with your extremely suspect mathematical skills ……….it must be/have been pure hell to put it all together most days!).

I'm going to post my present for you on this thread soon, so be watching for it. It's just a bit away, it's just a bit away

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    I have a present for you, my friend, for all of your hard work on this thread (and, Lord knows, that with your extremely suspect mathematical skills ……….it must be/have been pure hell to put it all together most days!).

I'm going to post my present for you on this thread soon, so be watching for it. It's just a bit away, it's just a bit away

I'm touched by your generosity (I think). Because you are being so magnanimous I am bringing you two gifts a week from Saturday when we meet in the West Lot (without AC/DC for how many years now?) one in each hand.
    Paul Fix

The Countdown To Cal Poly continues with day 8 and the 44th edition of my humble efforts to entertain and provide valuable and trivial information about the history and current state of Bison football. Yesterday we had single digits left and today we are still there. First off, a few words about #8 D.J. McNorton (2007-2011; 5-10, 206 pounds). During his 50 game career, he ran for 2,985 carries on 578 attempts (5.2 average, 32 TD's) and had 64 receptions for 810 yards (12.7 average, 9TD's). None of those receptions were bigger than the 39-yard middle screen the first play after the Voigtlander's fake punt in National Championship #1 to give the Bison a 10-6 lead.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

We went for an evening drive yesterday and the thing that caught my eye were more NDSU flags flying than usual. Maybe it was just an illusion on my part with only 8 days left before that season-opening match up with those smart kids from San Louis Opisbo. The colors of those flags come primarily in forest green and/or gold with all sorts of different designs. You can purchase one with "National Champions" on it (they rarely go out of style these days) or several variations of the Snorty Bison. Those can be found only with the Bison by itself, or with the accompanying slogans of either "Bison Pride" or "Bison Nation." There is also one imitating the U.S. flag with green and gold stripes and Snorty taking the place of the 50 stars in the upper left-hand corner. All those are well and good I suppose, but this one is by far my favorite. I relish the role of the Bison as the scourge of the FCS.

**During the 1913-1914 season Howard Wood led the Bison to a 5-5-2 record. If my mathematical calculations are correct that is a winning percentage of .500. He was, of course, the 8th Head coach.
    **The season interception record at 8 (1953) is held by Frank Esposito.
    **Before the Bison joined the FCS they earned 8 National Championships: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86 88, and 90. At this point in time 8>0.
    **NDSU has a streak of 8 straight FCS playoff appearances (2010-2017). That happens to be 8 straight quarterfinal games.
    **From 2010-2017 the Bison have had 8 straight winning seasons. It is also 51 in the last 54 years.
    **From 2011-2017 NDSU's record is 97-8 (.924).
    **The Bison have a record of 8-2 against Missouri State, WIU, and ISU-R.

One of NDSU's best #8's was All-American linebacker Joe Mays (5-11, 243- pounds; 2003-2007). He is #2 in the NDSU record books with 159 unassisted tackles in his career. He also had 265 total, 90 as a Senior. There were 29.5 of those for a loss. He was drafted into the NFL in 2008 by the Eagles and in his career (until 2015) he played for six teams. During his time at NDSU Joe picked up a few awards:
    * 2007 Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America team
    * 2007 Associated Press FCS All-America third team
    * 2007 Great West Football Conference Defensive Player of the Year
    * 2007 All-Great West Football Conference first team
    * No.5 on The Sports Network ’s 2007 Linebacker chart
    * 2007 Phil Steele ’s College Preview GWFC Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
    * 2007 Phil Steele ’s Preseason All-GWFC first team
    * 2006 Football Gazette All-Northwest Region third team
    * 2006 All-Great West Football Conference first team
    * 2006 Football Gazette I-AA Preseason All-America third team
    * 2005 Football Gazette All-Region second team
    * 2005 All-GWFC first team (media), second team (coaches)
    * Three-time GWFC Defensive Player of the Week
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4704
    Below is a picture of Mays for your viewing pleasure. Evidently, once a Bison, always a Bison. Hell, once after a Wyoming victory even Craig flashed the horns. Old habits are hard to break.

I can't wrap up day 8 without a few comments about #8 Bruce Anderson (5-11, 210-pound Senior). Needless to say, he is very strong inside and very fast when he gets in space People used to say someone got or needs to get "open". Thank goodness everyone seems to return from space safely. I knew I would think of some other cliche that's one of the "Things That Really Bug Vet". Bruce has already carved out a few places for himself in the NDSU record book:
    Game: #1 most points scored (30, tie), TD's scored (5, tie) and longest kick return (100 yards, tie; and #5, 97 yards)
    Season: #1 kick return TD's (2) and average per kick (36.56); and #3 Kick return yards (585).
    Career: #1 Kick return TD's (2, tie); #4 kick return yards (1,141); returns (42) and average (27.48).
    If Bruce can stay healthy I don't see anything but an upside for him. I am really looking forward to seeing this guy play again this season.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

That's a wrap for day 8 and tomorrow on day 7 there is only ONE WEEK left in the countdown.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Paul Fix

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There's been a pretty good run of #8's for the Bison over the past decade and a half.

Re: Bruuuuuce...

I'll never forget the 2015 quaterfinal game against UNI, Bison were down at half, and Bruce took the 2nd half kick-off to the house. Huge play.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post

I'll never forget the 2015 quaterfinal game against UNI, Bison were down at half, and Bruce took the 2nd half kick-off to the house. Huge play.
    Was that the last time we had a return TD? Seriously it feels like that was the last time we got a TD after a punt or kickoff.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post

...as I stood in the concession line.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Was that the last time we had a return TD? Seriously it feels like that was the last time we got a TD after a punt or kickoff.
    That is the last kick or punt return for a TD that I can find.
    Paul Fix