Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Really enjoying your countdown Vet, cannot wait to read what you dig up on coaches 1thru 10.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Really enjoying your countdown Vet, cannot wait to read what you dig up on coaches 1thru 10.
    The dark ages of Bison football start at about day 20.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    The suspense is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Undies would call it the glory years.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Stats prediction for Big Sky Conference ranking for Cal Poly:

10. CAL POLY MUSTANGS
    STADIUM: Alex G. Spanos Stadium
    HEAD COACH: Tim Walsh (51-52, nine seasons; 168-134 overall)
    2017 RECORDS: 1-10, 1-7 Big Sky (12th)
    STARTERS RETURNING: 11 (7 offense/4 defense)
    KEY PLAYERS: Khaleel Jenkins, QB, Sr.; Joe Protheroe, FB, Sr.; Broc Mortensen, SB, So.; J.J. Koski, WR, Jr.; Harry Whitson, C, Sr.; Tyler Whisenhunt, RG, Jr.; Apefai Taifane, OL, Jr. (West Hills College transfer); Jayson Lee, LB, Jr.; Kitu Humphrey, S, Jr.; Dominic Frasch, CB, Sr.; Mark "Sharky" Reza, CB, Jr.; Casey Sublette, PK, Sr.
    THREE KEY LOSSES: Jared Mohamed, FB; Joey Kuperman, OL; Mason Montgomery, LB
    OUTLOOK: In its 100th season, Cal Poly seeks to rebound from an injured-riddled campaign, when eight starters missed playing time and the Mustangs plunged from seven wins and an FCS playoff berth in 2016. Health is paramount with FB Protheroe, a 2016 first-team All-American (2,461 career yards and 22 touchdowns on the ground), and QB Jenkins, who missed the final six games a year ago. An experienced offensive line will help fuel the triple option offense. The Mustangs may be involved in a number of high-scoring games considering the defense suffered heavy losses. Their season opener is at FCS champ North Dakota State on Sept. 1.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...02952393102204

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is gonna be painful to watch. Cover the kids' eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Stats prediction for Big Sky Conference ranking for Cal Poly:

10. CAL POLY MUSTANGS
    STADIUM: Alex G. Spanos Stadium
    HEAD COACH: Tim Walsh (51-52, nine seasons; 168-134 overall)
    2017 RECORDS: 1-10, 1-7 Big Sky (12th)
    STARTERS RETURNING: 11 (7 offense/4 defense)
    KEY PLAYERS: Khaleel Jenkins, QB, Sr.; Joe Protheroe, FB, Sr.; Broc Mortensen, SB, So.; J.J. Koski, WR, Jr.; Harry Whitson, C, Sr.; Tyler Whisenhunt, RG, Jr.; Apefai Taifane, OL, Jr. (West Hills College transfer); Jayson Lee, LB, Jr.; Kitu Humphrey, S, Jr.; Dominic Frasch, CB, Sr.; Mark "Sharky" Reza, CB, Jr.; Casey Sublette, PK, Sr.
    THREE KEY LOSSES: Jared Mohamed, FB; Joey Kuperman, OL; Mason Montgomery, LB
    OUTLOOK: In its 100th season, Cal Poly seeks to rebound from an injured-riddled campaign, when eight starters missed playing time and the Mustangs plunged from seven wins and an FCS playoff berth in 2016. Health is paramount with FB Protheroe, a 2016 first-team All-American (2,461 career yards and 22 touchdowns on the ground), and QB Jenkins, who missed the final six games a year ago. An experienced offensive line will help fuel the triple option offense. The Mustangs may be involved in a number of high-scoring games considering the defense suffered heavy losses. Their season opener is at FCS champ North Dakota State on Sept. 1.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...02952393102204
    Good information.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

I noticed yesterday morning that we have now reached a milestone for this thread with over 10,000 views. My assumption is that there have been a large number of BV members and visitors who have hit the thread to wipe it off their "New Posts" list. Regardless, one of my favorite books includes jokes about lawyers from the Nolo Press. In it, the author's dedicate their work to "Those lawyers who fight for truth and justice. We know you are out there somewhere". As I persevere for the next 23 days I am confident that there are at least two or three loyal daily readers out there somewhere...maybe even a half a dozen.

** NDSU participated in 23 NCAA postseasons from 1964-2003.
    **The 1968 Pecan Bowl saw NDSU beat Arkansas State 23-14.
    **Ev Kjelberston was the 23rd head coach for the program from 1973-1975. He recorded 17 wins against 14 losses (.567) along with two NCC titles.
    **The record for field goal attempts at 23 in a season is shared by Shawn Bibeau (2006, 16 made, .696) and Ryan Jastram (2010, 14 made, .609).
    **The Bison are 23-1 in home openers in the Dome (.958).
    **In the 2012 semifinal playoff game against GSU the Bison won 23-20. It was one hell of a game. Brock Jensen did a dress rehearsal for the 2013 K-State game by scoring the game-winner on a quarterback keeper. This time there was 3:20 left and it was 4th and 3 from the GSU 5 yard line. The drama didn't end until there were 20 seconds left when Carleton Littlejohn blocked a 50-yard field goal. GSU had some darn good football players on that team like Jerick McKinnon who accounted for 57% of GSU's offense. He was a Viking for 4 years and recently signed a 4 year deal with the 49ers for 30 million. Not bad at all even after California State taxes.

**The Bison won 23-21 over #13 Iowa in 2016 on Cam Peterson's 37-yard field goal on the last play of the game. The Hawkeyes were FBS victim #9 (and the sixth FBS win in a row). Next up on the menu, Duck in 2020. Here is an article from Sports Nation titled "North Dakota State fends off upset bid from upstart Iowa". I am sure if any Iowa fans read it they were impressed.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/17/1...-fcs-fbs-upset

Today's player's profiles feature three pretty good ones. The first #23 is 5-11 209 pound running back Kyle Steffes (2002-2006). He is still in the top 5 for several Bison record categories:
    **Game: #5 (tie) for most carries, 35 and rushing TD's 4 (tie).
    **Five career records: #3 rushing yards 3,952; #1 rushing attempts 800; #4 rushing yards per game 96.4; #5 all-purpose yds 4,401; and #5 total TDs 43.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

The second #23 is Matt Voigtlander who was basically a football version of a utility infielder (2007-2011). In 49 games he rushed for 646 yards on 86 carries (8.6 average and 2 TDs), had 9 receptions (156 yards, 16.7 per catch and 2 TDs), and had 4 kickoff returns for 39 yards. He also played on special teams where he had 23 tackles (12 unassisted). I couldn't find any evidence that he was left tackle or played linebacker but he did also punt 66 times (25 inside the 20-yard line). for 2,720 yards (2,679 in 2011). for a 41.2 average. His signature game came in National Championship #1 against SHSU when he punted 10 times for 442 yards. The most important play was not a punt but when he ran for 27 yards on a 4th and 4 play. The Bison were trailing 6-3 in the 3rd quarter when Matt saw a wide open lane and called for the fake. On the very next play, Jensen threw a middle screen to running back D.J. McNortan that went for 39 yards. As far as we know nobody on the SHSU team or coaches yelled: "WATCH OUT FOR THE FAKE." I bet there was at least a few expletives. Sound familiar? Below is a picture of his fake punt run against SHSU.

The last #23 for today was not only a very good running back but also a great entertainer. Whether it was blowing kisses to an Iowa State cheerleader or playing to the crowd John Crockett (2012-2014, 6-0, 215 pounds) was special. He only played for three years (46 games) and despite splitting carries he had 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons. He also is the top 5 of several statistical categories:
    **Season: #1 in yards, 1,994,, rushing attempts, 368, and all-purpose yards 2,419; #3 total TDs, 22; #4 rushing TDs 21 (tie); and #4 total points, 132.
    **Carrer: #2 rushing yards and #3 rushing attempts. (4,309 , 752); #2 all-purpose yards (5.155); and #5 all-purpose yards per game (112).
    John also threw two passes, one to Carson Wentz for a 16-yard score against Western Illinois in a very tough game the Bison won 17-10. He also always struck me as a very good blocker and in one of the pictures he demonstrates that to a Wildcat in Manhattan where he is giving Jensen time to throw. The 3rd one is also one of my favorites of John in the middle of the Leatherneck defensive huddle.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5719

Keep those cards and letters coming in and tomorrow will be 22 days left in the countdown.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-09-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Paul Fix

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Crockett!

It's getting so close!

Go Bison!

Lardsin must go!

As I was thinking about last season I had the odd feeling that in spite of the Bison winning their 6th FCS Championship and 14th overall (yes, UN_ visitors that is 14>1) something was missing. You know, when you kind of get that empty, gnawing feeling in your gut and it's not hunger. Then it hit me. Before the opener against Mississippi Valley State, there was no banner raising celebrating the 2016 title. To use some elegant prose, that sucked. I also have realized for some time that as a result of this unprecedented run Bisson fans expect to win every year and we are spoiled. After winning last season, an order is once again restored in the universe and things are as they should be. Twenty-two days to the banner raising and the gnawing feeling (at least over this) in my stomach will go away.

**Ron Erhardt was the 22nd head coach for the Herd from 1966-1972. His record was 66-7-1 (891). He guided the Bison to National Championships #2 and #3 in 1968 and 1969 and six NCC titles.
    **Chad Stark was drafted by the New York Giants in 1987. He was selected as the 22nd pick in the 12 round (328 overall).
    **From 2010-2014 NDSU had a 22 game road winning streak. It was ended with a 23-3 loss at UNI.
    **The Bison had a 22 game FCS playoff streak from 2011-2016 that ended when were beaten by JMU in the semifinals. I am forever grateful to the Bunnies for their 10 turnover choke fest last year so we could end JMU''s dreams of two straight titles.

Among others, two of my favorite running backs wore #22 on their jersey. I could add Seth Wilson as a #22 since Klieman is bound and determined to mess up my thread by continually switching numbers. At any rate, I wrote about Seth on day 30. For today Sam Ojuri played in 51 games (6-0, 212 pounds, 2009 and 2011-2013). He is #4 all-time in both rushing yards (3, 694) and rushing attempts (648). He totaled 36 touchdowns (34 rushing). Sam had over 1,000 yards in 3 straight seasons in spite of splitting carries and when he teamed with Crockett they were quite a pair. He played on three National Championship teams from 2011-2013 and holds the Bison record for the longest run from scrimmage, a 95-yard touchdown against St. Francis in 2011.

The second player that I want to highlight is #22, King Frazier (5-11, 212 pounds). He played for the Herd in 44 games from 2014-2016 after transferring from Nebraska. During that time he totaled 2,653 yards on 513 carries (5.2 average) and 27 touchdowns (one was a pass reception). In all, he had 2,851 all-purpose yards. I remember him as a power runner who would hit the hole where it was supposed to be and if it wasn't there he would bull his way for the yardage he could get. The gif below shows that he also had some breakaway speed when he got out in the open. After his career was over he was interviewed by Tyrant Football Headquarters and was asked if there were any parting words for NDSU fans and his response was "Once a Bison Always a Bison". You can't ask for any more.

In case you missed it or want to see it again here is a link to a video that runs about 3 minutes or so of the raising of the 2015 Championship banner at the 2016 opening game. If you want to view a six-minute version of the festivities it should follow, but in case it doesn't the link for that one is below the first one. The second is actually kind of funny to watch because it looks like the video operator tailgated really hard at Thundershots before the game. At any rate, my gnawing feeling is slowly going away. Tomorrow will be 21 days until the 2017 banner raising.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5&&FORM=VRDGAR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OW40SOTBM
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Paul Fix