Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

edited: I’m a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    edited: I’m a dumbass.
    Go on......
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Day 36 is here and we a finally wrapping up another week before we meet Cal Poly in the Dome. Meanwhile:

** The Bison record for rushing first downs (27) was set against Morningside in 1977. Nine more were added through the air for a total of 36.
    **In 36 games for the Bison Mark Speral (1977-1980) had 222 pass completions for 3,721 yards and 22 touchdowns.
    **Millersville Pennsylvania lost in the 1988 D2 National Quarterfinals 36-26.
    **Ryan Johnson (1997-2000) in his 36 contests had 240 completions for 17 touchdowns and 3,806 yards.
    **After the 2012 National Championship NDSU was ranked #36 in all of Division 1 in the AP Football Poll. The Bison became the first FCS team to have a ranking in the final AP Poll twice.
    **In the 2015 FCS Playoffs opponents scored a total of 36 points or an average 9 per game. Once more, how about that NDSU playoff defense.
    **In the 2016 FCS Quarterfinals, the Wretched Rabbits were defeated 36-10. Being the team to kick SDSU out of the playoffs was some satisfactory revenge for the 19-17 regular season loss.

Cyrus Lemon, a 5-11 196 - pound strong safety wore the #36 jersey from 2006-2010. His career best in tackles (12 total, 7 assists and 5 solo) all came in the 2008 game against SDSU. With graduation in 2010 and the EWU loss, he never was part of a National Championship team, but he was one of those players that helped establish the foundation for the current dynasty. The photo below is of Cyrus helping Chad Wilson track down a Jayhawk.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4189&path=football

A second #36 was Chris Board. I know, he wore #1 for four years, but I will have enough fish to fry when there is only one day left.
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5400&path=football
    He started out as a strong safety and then moved to linebacker in 2015. He was better at linebacker than as a safety, but he was especially outstanding on special teams. In four playoff games last year he tied for the team lead with 23 tackles (13 solo). Here are three pictures of Chris in action. The first is UN_ quarterback Mark Studsrud watching Chris getting to know John Santiago, followed by photos from the Incarnate Word and JSU games.

Currently, the #36 jersey is worn by Cam Pedersen. In his three year career, he has made 37 (a career long in 2016 of 52 yards) of 6o field goals for a 61.61 success rate. Of the 23 misses, 5 have been blocked (21.7%) with four of those coming last year. I know at least of a couple of those were bad or botched snaps, but this has to be unacceptable, and along with special teams in general (ie.,"Watch Out For The Fake"), that has to be addressed this offseason. At least three of his field goals that were made came in crunch time. In 2016 one was a 28-yard effort against EWU with only 42 seconds left to send the game into overtime. The second was a 36 yarder against YSU last year to win in overtime. The last one is the 37-yard game-winner against Iowa with no time left.

Cam has also handled most of the kickoffs (161, 9698 yards, 30 touchbacks and a 60.2 average) and extra points (181). In total, he has scored 292 points.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

"And that's the way it is" Friday, July 27th, 36 days until the season opener (homage to Walter Cronkite).

Major omission: roadwarrior says his streak is now 36 years old, and that would mean it started in 1982. My theory for years is that it is much longer than that and I swear if you use a magnifying glass he is in this photo.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-27-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Good work vet70!

One correction...

#36 Cam Pedersen. You have it Cam's last name spelled incorrectly.

Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Good work vet70!

One correction...

#36 Cam Pedersen. You have it Cam's last name spelled incorrectly.

Dewey
    Thanks, got it corrected.
    Paul Fix

36 = Years since my streak started.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    36 = Years since my streak started.
    Congratulations--added to day 36 with a photo.
    Paul Fix

Its another great day in Bison football history paradise and 35 days to go until we play the Mustangs. While we are waiting:

**We are 150-35 (.811) since moving to Division 1 in 2004.
    **From 1964-1973 the Bison had a record of 90-12-1 (.882). Those seasons included a 35 game streak where NDSU was undefeated. That feat seems to have gotten lost because of the more recent streak that lasted for 33 games from 2012 to 2014. The Bison also won three bowl games between 1964 and 1971.
    **NDSU's D2 playoff record was 35-13 (.729).
    **In 1985 the Bison won their 5th National Championship by beating Northern Alabama 35-7. If anyone screams "We want Bama" be sure and add the "Northern" or we will start seeing more photo illustrations in the Fargo Forum.
    **NDSU beat Central State (Ohio) in the 1986 semifinals, 35-12.
    **In 1988 there was another National Championship when NDSU beat Portland State 35-21.
    **2013 saw the Bison Beat Towson 35-7 for National Championship number 11.
    **SHSU came to town for a semifinal game in 2014 and lost 35-3. That was the third of four straight FCS Playoff games where they were defeated by the Bison. Old habits are hard to break.

Paul Hatchett (1986-1989) played in 27 games, totaled 2,309 yards on 387 carries (6 ypc) and scored 35 regular-season touchdowns. By the time his career was over he was a two-time AP All-American, helped NDSU win two National Championships, and held 15 rushing and scoring records including 41 career touchdowns (including playoffs). In 1968 he finished with 1,213 yards (190 carries, 6.4 average) and 17 touchdowns. He still holds the school record for the best average per try at 15.7 (at least 10 attempts, 173 yards on 11 attempts against Augustana in 1967). He also shares Bison records for touchdowns (5 twice) and total points in a game (30 also twice). An emphasis on running the damn ball at NDSU is nothing new.

I think it is safe to say Hatchett is the best Bison player to never be inducted into the Hall of Fame and I seriously doubt he ever will. I won't go into details here as I am sure that Bison fans and many others are familiar with the circumstances of his life after he left NDSU in 1969. For those who are not the details are easy to find. The second photo below was taken at the Pecan Bowl in 1968 when Paul ran for 106 yards and a touchdown in the Bison 23-14 victory over Arkansas State.

Another Bison great was quarterback Jeff Bentrim (1983-1986) who also played in 35 career games. He amassed 2,945 yards on 603 carries (4.9 average) and 3,400 passing for 6,345 yards. he still holds the Bison touchdown record for a season (23) and career (64). He helped NDSU make four straight trips to the D2 National Championship game and three titles in 1983, 1985 and 1986. Below is a picture and a video showing Bentrim and the team having fun in the sun at Dakota field against Augustana in November 1986 (25-0 Bison). Who needs a stinking Dome anyway. And who the hell is that guy interviewing Solomonson in the video?

I would be remiss if I didn't at least include a link to a video showing what is I believe is the greatest run in Bison history. Just mention "The Pitch" and every Bison fan knows of Bentrim's flip to Molstre just as he was inches from the ground. It happened on December 7, 1985, in a semifinal playoff game against South Dakota. The Bison trailed 7-0 and thanks at least in part to this play they won 16-7. What else can I say? Did I mention that I believe that it was the greatest run in Bison history?
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1126&FORM=VIRE
    https://gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=82&path=&kiosk=

Last, another Bison who wore the #35 Bison jersey was 5-10 191-pound free safety Christian Dudzik (2010-2014). The things that I remember most about Dudzik were that he was very fast and a sure tackler. He was a well-rounded player who was a cornerback for his first year and then moved to safety as well as returning punts. He finished his career with 13 interceptions which tied him for third in Bison history, was 4th in tackles (154) and 5th in passes defended (40). He helped win four MVFC titles and National championships along the way.

That's enough for now. "Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future". More tomorrow on day 34.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-29-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Paul Fix

We are now at 34 days to go, over half-way through the thirties and soon under a month until Cal Poly heads out of the tunnel at the Dome and gets the traditional warm welcome from the crowd. Without a doubt we are picking up steam and Loaf you had better step it up and get that AC/DC group booked for the West Lot or you might face a lynch mob. Well, at least we might break out the tar and feathers. You know how hostile and unruly Bison tailgaters get when they are liquored up. I hope you realize you have been making this promise since February 3, 2016, and now is the time for some results.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, to the business at hand:
    **After last season NDSU's all-time record stands at 710-371-34 (.657 not counting ties). Only five Universities founded after 1893 have more victories.
    **NDSU has won a total of 34 conference titles: 26 in the NCC, 1 in the Great West and 7 consecutive in the toughest conference in FCS football (2011-2017).
    **The Bison are the only FCS team to be ranked higher than #34 in the final AP Football Poll (#32 after the 2011 season and #29 after 2013.)
    **Steve Nelson was drafted by the Patriots in 1974 as the 34th overall pick (8th selection in the 2nd round).
    **In 2000 Lamar Gordon set the playoff record for rushing attempts at 34 in a losing effort against Delta State.
    **Joe Mays was drafted by the Eagles in 2008 with the 34th pick in the 6th round. He was the 200th overall selection.
    **Brock Jensen set the Bison record for touchdown passes with 34 in 2013.
    **The Bison beat Iowa State in 2016 34-14 in 2014 for win #8 (5 straight) against an FBS team. This is my favorite photo from that game and it gives a different perspective than the straight on shot.

In 2018 6-1 246-pound Junior Brock Robbins will once again wear #34. He had a broken foot in the 2016 season and was out for six games. To date, he has played in 22 games with no carries and only 4 catches for 22 yards. Here are two pictures that illustrate the life of a fullback. Instead of "Where's Waldo" it's "Where's #34".

A prototypical NDSU middle linebacker was #34, 6-2 228-pound Grant Olson (2010-2013). He played in 55 games and unfortunately suffered what was effectively a career-ending injury in 2013 that caused him to miss the last two regular season games and three games of the playoffs. He did return for the Championship game where he made 3 tackles. According to Bison Athletics, these were his career bests:
    Solo Tackles: 11 at Illinois State, 11-17-12
    Assisted Tackles: 23 vs. Wofford, 12-8-12
    Total Tackles: 29 vs. Wofford, 12-8-12
    Game W/Double-Figure Tackles: 6 (5, 2012 / 1, 2010)
    Tackles for Loss: 3.5 vs. Indiana State, 10-13-12
    Sacks: 1.5 vs. South Dakota State, 11-10-12
    Forced Fumbles: 1 vs. three teams, last vs. Prairie View A&M, 9-22-12
    QB Hurries: 2 vs. three teams, last vs. Georgia Southern, 12-17-11

I will always remember several things from the 2012 Wofford playoff game. First, Grant's records of 23 assisted and 29 total tackles. Second, their running back, Eric Breitenstein was a beast who ran for 136 yards on 24 carries for an average of 5.4 yards. Third, we won the game 14-7. With about 3:30 left Woffard had a 4th and three at the Bison 7 yard line. Olson stopped the running back at the 6-yard line with one of his six solo tackles. The Wofford coach said after the game that if they had scored they would have gone for two.

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4599

That's another day in the books. Day 33 is already formatted, but you will have to wait until tomorrow (I know, the anticipation is unbearable).
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-29-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    Paul Fix

I wish that Wofford game was available to watch online.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif