Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Look at it closely. I think only two guys got there hands on him. All the others were a mish mash of getting caught in the wash and one it looks as though the defender was actually blocked off of him at the last second.
    Yes. If you go to the slow-mo portion of the video, at about the :54 mark, looks like #2 had him wrapped up and #40 was coming in from behind to finish him up, but then there's a guy who comes in from the top of the screen and I can't read his number, but it looks like instead of tackling Bruce, he knocks #2 and #40 off of him, and then Bruce springs free...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    You get points equal to one-eighth of a Zenner (I'll save you the calculation: 4 divided by 8=1/2 point). You would have been awarded more but you got the year wrong and hedged on whether it was a TD or not. Perkins did have an 88-yard punt return for a TD against Richmond in 2015 the week after Bruce had his run. I see you are not very good with dates.
    Yes, I always was a little premature with my dates.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Darrius Sheppard had a punt return for a TD in the Indiana State game in 2016. That was the last P or KO return for TD.

Discussion over. Loaf has spoken.

**The Bison earned 8 D2 National Championships: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86 88, and 90. At this point in time 8>0.
    Serious question, were the first eight National Championships all DII or were they three College Division National Championships (1965, 1968 and 1969) and five DII titles (1983, 1985, 1986, 1988 and 1990)?
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Serious question, were the first eight National Championships all DII or were they three College Division National Championships (1965, 1968 and 1969) and five DII titles (1983, 1985, 1986, 1988 and 1990)?
    You are correct. I'll get it changed. Thanks. It's still going to come out to be 8 with a little finesse.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

You are correct. I'll get it changed. Thanks. It's still going to come out to be 8 with a little finesse.
    It's always been a confusing point for me since DII didn't start until 1973, but everyone in the press (including ESPN when covering NDSU games) bunches the first three as DII instead of the College Division, which technically was the predecessor to DII.
    Hail the BISON!!!

There are a mere 7 days to go in The Countdown To Cal Poly and at least for me, next Saturday can't get here soon enough. I imagine there are a few others that might feel the same way. Only one week left and we started this thread with over 7 weeks to go. See how clever that was to work in the number 7 one (two) more time (s)?

Today and tomorrow (that would be days 7 and 6) I am going to mention two members of the NDSU staff that I think are often overlooked and don't get the credit they deserve for the success that NDSU has had at the FCS level. The first is Dr. Bruce Piatt who is the Medical Director and Orthopedic Surgeon at NDSU. He handles sports medicine for all 14 NDSU athletic teams and supervises a number of areas relating to the well being of athletes including preventative medicine and nutrition. Piatt has worked with NDSU for over 21 years and performs surgery when it is necessary and deals with other injury care and rehabilitation. He also has a private practice and from the experience of a good friend, I know he is first rate. Tomorrow I will write a little something about another person that I don't believe always gets the recognition he deserves, but you will have to click on the thread again to find out who. How is that for a hook?

**Arthur Reuber had a 12-7-1 (.625) record as the 7th Bison Head Coach from 1909-1912.
    **In 1965 the Bison beat Grambling in the Pecan Bowl 20-7 and won National Championship #1. The 1985 semifinals saw SD losing 16-7 and in the same year, the Bison won National Championship #5 by beating Northern Alabama 35-7. That was followed in the next year with Championship #6 when NDSU beat SD again 27-7. In the 1990 second round of the D2 playoffs, Northern Colorado was beaten 17-7. In 1992 Northeast Missouri lost 42-7 in the first round. That is a lot of 7s which seems like a pretty reasonable number of points to give up if you want to win games.
    **Rick Budde holds the game record for penetrations at 7 (TFL sans sacks, 1974). Normally I would remind everyone at this point we have lost Izzy, but he seems to have been missing for some time now. In the same year, Jerry Dahl sacked Rabbit quarterbacks 7 times, also a single-game record. Both of these players were pretty darn good.
    **The Bison team record for interceptions is 7, set against Minnesota State-Mankato in both 1977 and 1997.
    **In 1981 Kevin Donnalley was drafted as a Cardinal with the 5th pick in the 7th round (#171 overall). Peter Campion was chosen by the Panthers as the 213th player with the 2nd pick in the 7th round. Nick Schommer was picked as the 33rd player in the 7th round by the Titans (the 242nd player drafted).
    **Tony Satter's career rushing average was 7.47 (1987-1990, #1 all-time; 3,212 yards, #7 all-time on 430 carries).
    **In the second round of the 2010 FCS playoffs Montana State was beaten 42-7. Georgia Southern lost 35-7 in the 2011 semifinals. Towson lost 35-7 as NDSU won National Championship #11. Richmond was beaten 33-7 in the 2015 semifinals. Finally, in 2016 San Diego was beaten in the second round 45-7. There are those lucky 7's again.
    **From 2011-2017 NDSU won 7 MVFC titles and made 7 straight semifinal playoff appearances.
    **NDSU's record against Southern Illinois is----wait for it----7-3.
    **Colorado State University became FBS victim #6 when they lost 22-7 in 2012. I remember their AD being interviewed during the game and he remarked what was happening to the Rams was embarrassing and it was. Take a few minutes to watch the video put out by CSU after the game. It should also be embarrassing for them and I guarantee you will get a good laugh or your money back. After this bit of fantasy football go to the next post for NDSU's version and reality (only one video can be put in a post. I learned that the hard way).

Earlier in the countdown, I profiled two #7's who wore other numbers earlier in their careers, Cole Davis on day 18 and Tre Fort on day 34. You really can't tell Bison players without a scorecard. At this point, I am going to move on to a couple more players. Daniel Eaves (6-1, 204 pounds) was a free safety for the Bison between 2007-2011. He played in 46 games and had 166 tackles (91 unassisted), 5.5 TFL and 4 interceptions in his career. Below are his career bests:
    Solo Tackles: 7 at Missouri State, 11-20-10
    Assisted Tackles: 6 at Missouri State, 11-20-10
    Total Tackles: 13 at Missouri State, 11-20-10
    Tackles For Loss: 1 vs. Missouri State, 10-24-09; vs. Indiana State, 11-1-08
    Sacks: 1 vs. Indiana State, 11-1-08
    Forced Fumbles: 1 at UNI, 9-11-10; at Kansas, 9-4-10
    Fumble Recoveries: 1 at Montana State, 12-4-10; at Youngstown State, 10-9-10
    Interceptions: 2 vs. South Dakota, 9-25-10
    Passes Defended: 2 vs. three teams, last vs. Robert Morris, 11-27-10
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

A second Bison to wear the #7 jersey was DB Zach Colvin (5-10, 189 pounds; 2010-2014). He sat out the 2010 season and missed the 2011 campaign with a knee injury, but he did play in 44 games from 2012-2014. His career totals were 51 tackles (29 unassisted), 2 TFL and 7 interceptions.

In the spirit of diversity and multiculturalism, hasta mañana, día 6. If that is wrong, it's not my fault. Blame the Google translator. Tomorrow is DAY 6 UNTIL BISON FOOTBALL
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-25-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Paul Fix

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Outside of CSU's first drive we just did what we wanted with them, pretty fun game. I forgot how great of a returner Marcus was... he had a couple of long ones in that game.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There are a mere 7 days to go in The Countdown To Cal Poly and at least for me, next Saturday can't get here soon enough. I imagine there are a few others that might feel the same way. Only one week left and we started this thread with over 7 weeks to go. See how clever that was to work in the number 7 one (two) more time (s)?

Today and tomorrow (that would be days 7 and 6) I am going to mention two members of the NDSU staff that I think are often overlooked and don't get the credit they deserve for the success that NDSU has had at the FCS level. The first is Dr. Bruce Piatt who is the Medical Director and Orthopedic Surgeon at NDSU. He handles sports medicine for all 14 NDSU athletic teams and supervises a number of areas relating to the well being of athletes including preventative medicine and nutrition. Piatt has worked with NDSU for over 21 years and performs surgery when it is necessary and deals with other injury care and rehabilitation. He also has a private practice and from the experience of a good friend, I know he is first rate. Tomorrow I will write a little something about another person that I don't believe always gets the recognition he deserves, but you will have to click on the thread again to find out who. How is that for a hook?

**Arthur Reuber had a 12-7-1 (.625) record as the 7th Bison Head Coach from 1909-1912.
    **In 1965 the Bison beat Grambling in the Pecan Bowl 20-7 and won National Championship #1. The 1985 semifinals saw SD losing 16-7 and in the same year, the Bison won National Championship #5 by beating Northern Alabama 35-7. That was followed in the next year with Championship #6 when NDSU beat SD again 27-7. In the 1990 second round of the D2 playoffs, Northern Colorado was beaten 17-7. In 1992 Northeast Missouri lost 42-7 in the first round. That is a lot of 7s which seems like a pretty reasonable number of points to give up if you want to win games.
    **Rick Budde holds the game record for penetrations at 7 (TFL sans sacks, 1974). Normally I would remind everyone at this point we have lost Izzy, but he seems to have been missing for some time now. In the same year, Jerry Dahl sacked Rabbit quarterbacks 7 times, also a single-game record. Both of these players were pretty darn good.
    **The Bison team record for interceptions is 7, set against Minnesota State-Mankato in both 1977 and 1997.
    **In 1981 Kevin Donnalley was drafted as a Cardinal with the 5th pick in the 7th round (#171 overall). Peter Campion was chosen by the Panthers as the 213th player with the 2nd pick in the 7th round. Nick Schommer was picked as the 33rd player in the 7th round by the Titans (the 242nd player drafted).
    **Tony Satter's career rushing average was 7.47 (1987-1990, #1 all-time; 3,212 yards, #7 all-time on 430 carries).
    **In the second round of the 2010 FCS playoffs Montana State was beaten 42-7. Georgia Southern lost 35-7 in the 2011 semifinals. Towson lost 35-7 as NDSU won National Championship #13. Richmond was beaten 33-7 in the 2015 semifinals. Finally, in 2016 San Diego was beaten in the second round 45-7. There are those lucky 7's again.
    **From 2011-2017 NDSU won 7 MVFC titles and made 7 straight semifinal playoff appearances.
    **NDSU's record against Southern Illinois is----wait for it----7-3.
    **Colorado State University became FBS victim #6 when they lost 22-7 in 2012. I remember their AD being interviewed during the game and he remarked what was happening to the Rams was embarrassing and it was. Take a few minutes to watch the video put out by CSU after the game. It should also be embarrassing for them and I guarantee you will get a good laugh or your money back. After this bit of fantasy football go to the next post for NDSU's version and reality (only one video can be put in a post. I learned that the hard way).

Earlier in the countdown, I profiled two #7's who wore other numbers earlier in their careers, Cole Davis on day 18 and Tre Fort on day 34. You really can't tell Bison players without a scorecard. At this point, I am going to move on to a couple more players. Daniel Eaves (6-1, 204 pounds) was a free safety for the Bison between 2007-2011. He played in 46 games and had 166 tackles (91 unassisted), 5.5 TFL and 4 interceptions in his career. Below are his career bests:
    Solo Tackles: 7 at Missouri State, 11-20-10
    Assisted Tackles: 6 at Missouri State, 11-20-10
    Total Tackles: 13 at Missouri State, 11-20-10
    Tackles For Loss: 1 vs. Missouri State, 10-24-09; vs. Indiana State, 11-1-08
    Sacks: 1 vs. Indiana State, 11-1-08
    Forced Fumbles: 1 at UNI, 9-11-10; at Kansas, 9-4-10
    Fumble Recoveries: 1 at Montana State, 12-4-10; at Youngstown State, 10-9-10
    Interceptions: 2 vs. South Dakota, 9-25-10
    Passes Defended: 2 vs. three teams, last vs. Robert Morris, 11-27-10
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

A second Bison to wear the #7 jersey was DB Zach Colvin (5-10, 189 pounds; 2010-2014). He sat out the 2010 season and missed the 2011 campaign with a knee injury, but he did play in 44 games from 2012-2014. His career totals were 51 tackles (29 unassisted), 2 TFL and 7 interceptions.

In the spirit of diversity and multiculturalism, hasta mañana, día 6. If that is wrong, it's not my fault. Blame the Google translator. Tomorrow is DAY 6 UNTIL BISON FOOTBALL
    “Towson lost 35-7 as NDSU won National Championship #13.” I pretty sure that was natty #11 since the Bison have won three since then for a total of 14.