Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    It does seem incredible, doesn't it.
    http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/r...cidcareer.html
    Absolutely mind boggling!! Is he the career record holder in that category at NDSU?
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Absolutely mind boggling!! Is he the career record holder in that category at NDSU?
    Yes--- the 32 breakups were at NDSU.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    It does seem incredible, doesn't it.
    http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/r...cidcareer.html
    There are a few records on there that need to be updated.

https://stats.gobison.com/fb/HISTCARR.HTM
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    There are a few records on there that need to be updated.

https://stats.gobison.com/fb/HISTCARR.HTM
    Thanks for the information.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

“Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives” (for some odd reason I can't stand soap operas). There are only 31 days of our lives before we see how Code Green is prepared for that Cal Poly version of the triple option. In 2016 they caught the Bunnies napping, gouged them for 440 yards rushing (59 carries, almost 7.5 ypc) and beat them in Brookings 38-31. SDSU called the game that year the "Beef Bowl." If she was still alive Clara Peller would be asking questions about the Rabbit defense (insert other and undoubtedly better jokes here). Here is a 10-minute 44-second video with the highlights of the SDSU defenders in a Chinese fire drill. More on their triple option the next two days.

**The Bison have been in the playoffs a total of 31 times. The 23 from 1964-2003 (including 3 Bowl Games; the last playoff game was in 2000) resulted in 8 National Championships where the NDSU outscored their opponents 262 to 91. That is an average of 32.75 to 11.38 for a +21.37 differential. In the 8 playoffs in D1 between 2010-2017, there have been 6 Championships. Overall, that is close to one National Championship every 4 years since 1964.
    **The Bison beat Montana 31-16 in the 1970 Camellia Bowl.
    **In 1974 Jerry Dahl had a Bison record 31 quarterback sacks. I think that 44-year-old mark won't be broken anytime soon.
    **U.C. Davis lost to NDSU in the first round of the playoffs 31-25 in 1984. In the same round in 1985 with U.C. Davis, it was 31-12.
    **NW Missouri State lost 31-17 to the Bison in the opening game of the 2000 playoffs.
    **Tony Satter (1987-1990) had 31 career touchdowns.

One of the Bison who wore #31 for a year and then switched to #1 was Shamen Washington (2004-2009). Shamen had injuries in 2004, 2006 and 2008, but still managed to play in 43 games. He ran the ball and caught passes, but was at his best as a punt and kick returner. He returned 75 kickoffs for 1,916 yards (still a Bison record. Also, a 25.5 average) and 74 punts for 921 (12.4 yards per return). When his runs and receptions were added to those efforts he had 3,666 all-purpose yards.

Washington’s Career Bests Are Listed As:
    Rushing Attempts: 9 vs. Valparaiso, 8-28-04 (67 yards)
    Rushing Yards: 80 vs. Montana Tech, 9-11-04 (1 carry)
    Rushing TDs: 2 vs. Arkansas-Monticello, 9-1-05
    Long Rush: 80 vs. Montana Tech, 9-11-04
    Receiving Yards: 30 at Mississippi Valley State, 10-13-07 (1 reception)
    Punt Returns: 6 vs. Valparaiso, 8-28-04 (98 yards)
    Punt Return Yards: 98 yards vs. Valparaiso, 8-28-04 (6 returns)
    Longest Punt Return: 69 vs. Weber State, 9-17-05
    Kickoff Returns: 5 vs. UC Davis, 10-22-05 (96 yards)
    Kickoff Return Yards: 107 vs. Illinois State, 11-3-07 (4 returns)
    Longest Kickoff Return: 93 at Mississippi Valley State, 10-13-07

The picture below was taken during that return.

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football
    So much for day number 31. Sand keeps going through the hourglass. Tomorrow is day 30. th.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Fix

Hail the BISON!!!

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That felt good!

Only 30 days to go and finally, I am starting to think we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel (In my universe I hate that expression). The one-month to go video posted above has me wanting football to get here even more.

Meanwhile, being a man of my word (occasionally) I wanted to start today's festivities with a few comments about our guests from the West coast. In 2016 Cal Poly was 7-5 with a first-round loss to San Diego in the playoffs. Last year they were absolutely horrible with a 1-10 record and predictions for next season have them near the bottom of the Big Fluffy. For the 2017 season, their rushing production plummeted from 4,122 yards (5.7 ypc, 343.5 per game) and 39 touchdowns to 2,847 (3.8 ypc, 231.7 per game) and 16 touchdowns in 2017. One huge reason was the injury suffered by their fullback, Joe Protheroe. In one article he has been ranked as the fifth top running back returning to the FCS in 2018:

"Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly, R-Sr., 6-0, 230. Also back from injury -- he suffered an ACL tear in last year's second game -- Protheroe seeks to rebound as a fullback in Cal Poly's triple-option offense. A workhorse with both speed and power, he racked up 1,334 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground in 2016."
    https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...backs-fcs-2018

This guy has the potential to be trouble. Overall he accounted for a third of the Mustangs touchdowns and almost a third of their rushing yardage in 2016. Time to break out the Zenners. Also, note Dunn and Anderson are ranked #6 and #1 respectively. More on Cal Poly tomorrow, but meanwhile to other business:

**NDSU's record in the D2 Playoffs was 30-12 (.714)
    **The record for most points by an individual in a game is 30 and is held by, Fenney, Satter, Speral, and Hatchett (twice).
    **In 1948 the Packers drafted Clarence McGeary as the 30th selection in the 6th round (281 overall).
    ** Montana was defeated in the Camellia Bowl 30-3 in 1969.
    **NDSU was ranked #1 in the FCS Coaches Poll for 30 straight weeks during 2012-2014.
    **Chris Klieman is the 30th coach for the Bison. In 4 years (2014-2017) he has a record of 54-6 (.900) along with 4 Valley titles and 3 National Championships. He is also 2-0 against FBS teams with victories over Iowa State and Iowa.

#30 from 1957-1959 was fullback Curt Quenette. He was a two-time first-team All NCC in both 1958 and 1959 when he was voted as the league MVP. After leaving NDSU he had a career in the Army that included two tours in Vietnam where he was awarded the Purple heart for being wounded, a Commendation Medal. three Air Medals and a Bronze Star. The first link is to a picture from the University archives.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-u...n/photostream/
    https://admin.gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=238&path=&kiosk=

One thing that I have noticed is that when players first join the Bison they are assigned a jersey number and then switched after their redshirt year. Yesterday #30 was 5-10, 185-pound Seth Wilson, and then this morning I noticed that Seth is now #22. Klieman quit moving the player's numbers around and messing up the timing of my posts.

That jersey number used to belong to Sam Ojuri who was one fine running back. To say Wilson shows a lot of promise would be an understatement. He had his redshirt pulled last year because of injuries decimating the backfield and played in 8 games. When he got into the rotation he showed speed and proved to have an ability to evade tacklers. He had a total of 420 yards on 72 carries (5.8 ypc) and 6 receptions for 66 yards. Seth's best game was against SHSU when he ran for almost 200 yards (194 on 24 carries, 8.1 ypc.). Actually, every Bison running back ran all over SHSU, but I think Wilson is going to be something special. I can't wait to see what this great athlete he can do in the next three years.

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

The earth will probably make another rotation around the sun and tomorrow will be 29 days to go.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-02-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Paul Fix

KC Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Looking at the Cal Poly blog site, they were commenting about the fact that the NDSU has student acceptance rate of 93%, compared with their low, low rate. Feeling quite superior, they also complained that NDSU doesn't have a FBS team within hundreds of miles to compete against for recruiting. Also saw a comment that they're having smarter players meant that they could get by with smaller (slower?) players. Despite probably being the least interesting of the season, I am still excited to get tickets for the game. Did see a couple of Bison fans were on their site. They had respectful conversions with them. Was good to see that some people can go to other teams web sites and carry on cordially.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Bison View Post
    Looking at the Cal Poly blog site, they were commenting about the fact that the NDSU has student acceptance rate of 93%, compared with low, low rate. Feeling quite superior, they also complained that NDSU doesn't have a FBS team within hundreds of miles to compete against for recruiting. Also saw a comment that they're having smarter players meant that they could get by with smaller (slower?) players. Despite probably being the least interesting of the season, I am still excited to get tickets for the game.
    The comment that liked best was one I found a couple of weeks ago. The poster was a dad of one of the players who complained that we were winning too much and wanted NDSU to be forced to go to the FBS. I also posted over there a couple of times and the acceptance rate was one of the first things that were brought to my attention. I don't understand how smarter players mean that they can get by with smaller ones. There are alot of things that I don't understand about West and East coast elitism. It seems to me that we have been competing with several FBS teams for recruits. Some of their attitudes probably stem from frustration over their 1-10 record last season. The least interesting game for me is probably;y North Alabama, but I will be in my usual end zone seats.
    Paul Fix