Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Day 3 in the countdown is here and we are getting oh so close to Bison football. Actually just a few minutes early for this edition. As I always think to myself when the Bison have a small lead close to the end of the game, "Go clock Go." Some might call that milking the clock, but I wrote about that one already as one of the "Things That Really Bug Vet".

If you are reading this you are more than likely a football fan yourself (why else would you click on this thread?) and know it is the #1 sport in America, Obviously, when people come to BV the Football Forum has by far the most interest. As of this posting, there are 16,472 threads and 628,484 posts on that forum. Shortly after I do my final proofreading (believe it or not they get more than one going over) those numbers will most likely change. So, what is it besides the physical nature of the game I really like?

First, before the Bison games, the tailgating is tremendous fun. An event on this scale never happens in Fargo with any other sport. I consider the folks at Thundershots and others good friends and in return they at least tolerate me. That is no small feat. Another thing is the traditions of the game itself like video openings and the anticipation of the tunnel walk. To be perfectly honest for a change, I could do without that stupid kiss cam. I have let it be known that if they ever show me on the screen I will let everyone know the Bison are #1 if you get my drift. As far as the game itself goes there is nothing I enjoy more than watching the players do all of the things they shouldn't be able to do. Linemen who weigh upwards of 300 pounds running as fast as they do, quarterbacks throwing the ball over 50 yards, wide receivers making acrobatic catches, super fast running backs, and linebackers and defensive backs hitting like they are using baseball bats (there I go with the physical nature of the game again). In addition, sometimes I get a real kick out of the opposing coaches. I absolutely love it when the Pelinis and the Crypt Keeper have a meltdown. I can't wait for Stig to show up in the Dome during week four. As far as I am concerned his complaints to the NCAA about the Bison entrance rituals being an unfair advantage in the playoffs because they are not NDSU home games shows he has a screw loose. He must have been drinking several cans of Josse. To be continued for one more day. That is 1/2 of the days that are left in the countdown.

**The 3rd coach of the Thundering Herd was Eddie Cochems (1902-1903) and his record was 9-1 (.900).
    **3 is the number of Bison losing seasons since 1964. The win-loss-tie record since that date is 499-137-4 (.778).
    **In 1976 Dan Meyer set a single-game record when he recovered 3 fumbles against Northern Michigan. In 2017 Levi Jordheim equaled that record against UNI.
    **It was in 2002 that Lamar Gordon was drafted by the St Louis Rams as the 19th pick in the 3rd round. He was the 84th player taken in the draft. Billy Turner was drafted in the 3rd round (3rd pick, #67 selection overall) by the Miami Dolphins.

Trevor Gebhart was a Bison (2010-2014; 6-1, 197 pounds) wide receiver who wore the #3 jersey. He played in 50 games and had 82 catches (#15 on the all-time list) for a total of 865 yards, an average of 10.5 yards a catch. He also had 4 touchdowns.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

That #3 was passed on to Tre Dempsey (5-10, 184 pounds. 2013-2017, free safety). In his 59 game career, he had 197 tackles (124 unassisted) and 16 interceptions. That number of interceptions ties him for 2nd in the Bison record book for a career (21 for Marcus Williams). I guess the fashionable term these days is a "pick". I read somewhere that commentators call them by that term so they can say "pick six". That makes sense to me--saying "interception six" wouldn't have the same panache. Of course, they could always say "he's taking to the house" which sounds ridiculous. In fact, if I had thought of it at the time I could have put on my list for "Things That Really Bug Vet". Now Tutsie's "taking it to the crib" sounds really modern. Okay, I am way off track, but you probably knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Back to Demsey. Tre had 6 interceptions in both 2016 and 2017 and that put him in a tie for the 6th spot in that category for a single season. He also finished 5th for his career for the 42 passes he defended (26 breakups and 16 interceptions). He did receive some well-deserved recognition for his efforts:
    * 2016, 2017 AFCA All-America First Team
    * 2017 Walter Camp All-America First Team
    * 2016 STATS FCS All-America Second Team
    * 2016, 2017 HERO Sports FCS All-America Second Team
    * 2017 Phil Steele FCS All-America Third Team
    * 2016, 2017 All-MVFC First Team
    * 2016 MVFC Defensive Player of the Week
    * 2014 MVFC All-Newcomer Team
    * 2015 MVFC Honor Roll

Currently, #3 is worn by Jaxon Brown (6-2, 204 -pounds; Junior). He has played in 12 games each of the last two years as a backup linebacker and safety and has recorded 15 tackles (11 unassisted). Eight of his tackles came on special teams. Linebacker is a position that could get dicey this season in terms of depth and hopefully, if we have to rely on him he will be up to the challenge. On the latest depth chart, he is listed as #2 on both outside linebacker spots behind Jabril Cox and Levi Jordheim. Don't be fooled by the #38 on the pictures. Changing numbers on the jerseys as often as they do is all a conspiracy to confuse the opposition. I can't figure out any other reason for it.

Today is in the books and tomorrow there will be 2 days left in The Countdown To Cal Poly. IT WILL ALSO BE TWO DAYS UNTIL BISON FOOTBALL. There have been days I thought we would never get to this point

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Trevor Gebhart, to me, will always be one of those legends of the Bison program, much like Cole Davis is a legend. Trevor could have been an absolute start at both USD and SDSU, but he chose NDSU. He eventually settled into his role as being that third guy you had to worry about when chasing Vraa and Smith around. He was a terrific down the field blocker, and sprung many long runs for guys like SO and JC. To this day, he exudes Bison Pride.

Favorite memories of Trevor:

1. The USD "home" game in Sioux Falls in 2012. Trevor having a great day catching the ball, and clearly being excited to be in Sioux Falls playing.
    2. Somehow, convincing a Georgia Southern cheerleader to marry him. That is still one of the biggest and best non-football bison football stories.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Trevor Gebhart, to me, will always be one of those legends of the Bison program, much like Cole Davis is a legend. Trevor could have been an absolute start at both USD and SDSU, but he chose NDSU. He eventually settled into his role as being that third guy you had to worry about when chasing Vraa and Smith around. He was a terrific down the field blocker, and sprung many long runs for guys like SO and JC. To this day, he exudes Bison Pride.

Favorite memories of Trevor:

1. The USD "home" game in Sioux Falls in 2012. Trevor having a great day catching the ball, and clearly being excited to be in Sioux Falls playing.
    2. Somehow, convincing a Georgia Southern cheerleader to marry him. That is still one of the biggest and best non-football bison football stories.
    Only if they're still together...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Sorry, but Crockett impregnating an Iowa State cheerleader by blowing a kiss after a touchdown run will never be topped.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Sorry, but Crockett impregnating an Iowa State cheerleader by blowing a kiss after a touchdown run will never be topped.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Only if they're still together...
    Well, they just recently got married and moved south not that long ago......something we all don't know?

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Vet, I am glad you called the personal foul on yourself for "Milking the Clock"...that is truly one that gets me irritated and in someways, curious how it would be done, but that is for another day. I would imagine there will be a number of offers of Free Beer for Stig when he comes to town...but be careful what you wish for...he might take you up on it.

Well, they just recently got married and moved south not that long ago......something we all don't know?
    I heard they got married but I didn't keep tabs on how their relationship is going...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I heard they got married but I didn't keep tabs on how their relationship is going...
    Looked up his Twitter account. According to a recent tweet by former Bison coach Atif Austin and retweeted by Trevor, him and his wife, Carla, are living in North Carolina.
    Hail the BISON!!!

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Looked up his Twitter account. According to a recent tweet by former Bison coach Atif Austin and retweeted by Trevor, him and his wife, Carla, are living in North Carolina.
    But are they happy or merely keeping up appearances? WE NEED TO KNOW DAMMIT!
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.