Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    I distinctly remember 4.
    I know it was four. I was being a smart ass for my "good friend" Loaf.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Yes, I realize it is too early to start a countdown thread. Way too early with 50 days out. I don't care and I might be crazy, but as the Waylon Jennings song goes, "It keeps me from going insane." I have held out as long as I can, it helps keep me out of trouble, and I am tired of reading the AC/DC thread (sorry Loaf ). Besides, I am getting old and pretty much do what I want these days anyway. So here is to the possibility of 14>1 having to change his screen name again and seven of eight FCS National Championships..
    Like the way you think!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Its not till "death do us part"....unless you make another call like that ...you bum!!
    .........good grief..........

I know it was four. I was being a smart ass for my "good friend" Loaf.
    I thought Tony had banned inside jokes on Bisonville.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

As I wrote yesterday in my first post, 50 days to go for Cal Poly (it is 50 right?). Fifty as in NDSU's FCS record 33 game winning streak that was the 3rd longest in Division 1 in 50 years. Fifty as in Stick's 50 yard pass to Shepherd against JMU.

Fifty as in Ross Kennelly, Bison Sophomore linebacker #50:

If my math is correct tomorrow will be 49 days to go. If I am wrong I am sure someone will give me shit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Only 49 excruciating days to wait for Cal Poly. Last season on November 11 th NDSU clinched it's seventh straight MVFC title with a 49-14 rout of the Coyotes. Also #49 for the Bison was a fairly decent linebacker. He made his first start against SD in 2014 and had 12 tackles (5 solo) and an Int.
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5407&path=football

If the sun comes up tomorrow will be one less day to wait.
    Paul Fix

We are finally within three weeks at a mere 48 days before Cal Poly. From 1964 to 2000 the Bison played in 48 post-season games. These included six bowl games (5-1 and three AP National CNmpionships ) and 42 D2 playoff games (30-12 and five more National Championships.). That's over a span of 23 post-seasons, a total win percentage of .729 and 8 Nattys. Overall not a bad tradition.

Second is Brock Jensen's FCS record 48 career wins (47 as a starter, but that is for another day). One of the greatest wins, of course, was in 2013 at K-State featuring what is simply known in Bison lore as "The Drive." One reporter described the 80 yard, 18 play effort that took 8 minutes, 30 seconds as "Soul-Sucking." At one point Bill Snyder told his assistants to get the two-minute offense ready, only when all was said and done there were only 28 seconds left. The final play of the drive was a thing of beauty for a couple of reasons.

First, Brock pivots, brushes against #71 Gimmestad, hits the hole and when he gets clipped by a K-State player he spins and backs into the end zone. Second, the blocking on this play was great. Notice 6' 2"304-pound Gimmestad comes from the right side of the formation, cuts in front of Jensen and pancakes 6' 2" 245 Mueller, #44 on the left. Mueller was no slouch and won the Big 12 Defensive Player Of The Year award in 2013.

Third is #48 Dan Marlette, 6' 1"220-pound Senior linebacker. We hope for great things out of him this year. Here he is with the Dakota Marker that we need to get back this year and I trust the Jackrabbits will surrender it instead of hiding the trophy.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8022&path=football
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-15-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    Paul Fix

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We are finally within three weeks at a mere 48 days before Cal Poly. From 1964 to 2000 the Bison played in 48 post-season games. These included six bowl games (5-1 and three AP National CNmpionships ) and 42 D2 playoff games (30-12 and five more National Championships.). That's over a span of 23 post-seasons, a total win percentage of .729 and 8 Nattys. Overall not a bad tradition.

Second is Brock Jensen's FCS record 48 career wins (47 as a starter, but that is for another day). One of the greatest wins, of course, was in 2013 at K-State featuring what is simply known in Bison lore as "The Drive." One reporter described the 80 yard, 18 play effort that took 8 minutes, 30 seconds as "Soul-Sucking." At one point Bill Snyder told his assistants to get the two-minute offense ready, only when all was said and done there were only 28 seconds left. The final play of the drive was a thing of beauty for a couple of reasons.

First, Brock pivots, brushes against #71 Gimmestad, hits the hole and when he gets clipped by a K-State player he spins and backs into the end zone. Second, the blocking on this play was great. Notice 6' 2"304-pound Gimmestad comes from the right side of the formation, cuts in front of Jensen and pancakes 6' 2" 245 Mueller, #44 on the left. Mueller was no slouch and won the Big 12 Defensive Player Of The Year award in 2013.

Third is #48 Dan Marlette, 6' 1"220-pound Senior linebacker. We hope for great things out of him this year. Here he is with the Dakota Marker that we need to get back this year and I trust the Jackrabbits will surrender it instead of hiding the trophy.

The patience brock showed on that run was a thing of beauty, then the spin move at the end was the dagger. Such a fun game.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The patience brock showed on that run was a thing of beauty, then the spin move at the end was the dagger. Such a fun game.

Slowly we turn to 47 days before the Cal Poly Mustangs experience a game in the Fargodome. Break out the speakers during practice to try to simulate the noise, "The crowd noise won't bother us" etc., etc.. More on that in a few days. I again have to mention Brock Jensen's FCS record 47 wins as a starting quarterback. In 2003 at Augustana Rod Malone set the Bison record for rushing attempts with 47 carries.

In 1990 the Mustangs came to Fargo for an NCAA D2 Quarterfinal Playoff game. At the time Cal poly had the second-best rushing and top scoring defense in the nation. The Bison ran for 452 yards on 65 carries and won 47-0 on their way to their 8th National Championship. After the game, the Cal Poly coach was quoted as saying "I told you that coming in here was like going to Iraq with a 22 (caliber gun), didn't I?"

Last, from 2013-2016 #47 was worn by 6-1, 222 pounds outside linebacker Pierre Gee-Tucker. He was plagued with some injuries during his career, but when he was healthy he not only contributed as a linebacker but also on special teams. He finished fourth on the team in tackles in both his Junior and Senior year. Undoubtedly, the play that he will most for remembered for was his hit on the Iowa quarterback in 2016 that resulted in an M.J. Sumph 21 yard interception return for a touchdown.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6721
    Tomorrow is another day closer.
    Paul Fix

Thanks for the stories Vet. I was at that 2003 Augie game in Sioux Falls when Rod Malone set the record for most rushing attempts in a game. Without checking I think he got close to 200 hard earned yards for the game. Rod was a machine that day and took a lot of hits. Must have wore him out that season as Rod was given the ball on 4th and short against UND when we needed it most and could not get that last important yard to keep the drive going. UND won and kept the nickel. That is all they got now. Must be tough to watch big brother have so much success.