Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Most important Ojuri run? K St bomb from deep inside Bison territory. He scores against literally any other Bison opponent that year.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Most important Ojuri run? K St bomb from deep inside Bison territory. He scores against literally any other Bison opponent that year.
    I think you are correct. That 66 yard run from the Bison 2 prevented what could have been a disaster and eventually resulted in 3 points.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

_

So, here we are with 21 days or three full weeks left before we entertain the Mustangs of Cal Poly. Sometimes I feel like we are making tremendous progress after starting on day 50/51 and the adrenalin is flowing, but at other times I think September 1st will never get here. Right now my emotions are very much up and down. I now know how Sisyphus would have felt getting his huge boulder closer and closer to the top of the mountain only to have it roll downhill again. Since Fall camp has gotten underway for the Bison the only solution might be to start getting ready for the season by getting myself in shape for the tailgating grind (if you get my drift). Okay, enough complaining.

**Darrell Mudra (1963-1965) was NDSU's 21st head coach. He compiled a 24-6 (.800) mark and guided the Bison to its 1st National Championship. Brace yourself, from here on out coaching records get pretty ugly. From 1894-1962 the combined mark was 208-230-30 (.476).
    **The NDSU record for assisted tackles during the regular season is 21. Three Bison share that mark: Steve Armstrong (1971, Jim Dick (1985), and Paul Schaffner (1989).
    **In 1982 Virginia Union was defeated in the 1st round of the playoffs 21-20.
    **ESPN made its first College GameDay visit to Fargo on September 21, 2013. They would make a return visit a year later.
    **In the four 2014 playoff games the Bison defense gave up a total of 86 points or an average of 21.5. That was the highest for any of the six FCS title runs. In the SHSU semifinals, the Bison surrendered only a field goal but gave up an average of 27.7 in the other three contests. Victories in those three were by a total of 12 points and SDSU and Illinois State were beaten by touchdowns in the last minute of play. The hospital cardiac units were probably kept very busy that year during the playoffs.
    **The Bison Playoff record in the Dome is 21-1 (.955) with the only loss to you know who in 2016.

The player profile for day 21 is Senior cornerback Jalen Allison (6-0, 188 pounds). In his three years career, Allison has played in 43 games and has 135 tackles, 88 them unassisted. To this point in his career, his best game in terms of tackles was 10 against Charleston Southern in the 2016 season opener. Jalen has turned into a very good cornerback with 6 interceptions (1 TD) with 4 of them coming last year. He missed the National Championship game because of a cheap shot that injured his knee in the SHSU semifinal and also had offseason surgery to repair a shoulder injury suffered in the late in the regular season. Here is hoping he has fully recovered from both and will have another good season.
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6691
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

We have no choice but to keep trying to climb the mountain. I guess it is only a matter of time. Tomorrow we will wrap up the 20's in the Countdown To Cal Poly.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Greetings from the inner sanctum of my "Fortress of Solitude" (also known as my home office) and Day 20 of the Countdown to Cal Poly. In looking back it is hard to believe that this is the 32nd edition from your humble correspondent, and we are over 60% of the way to that encounter with the Mustang triple-option offense. Unlike Loaf and his AC/DC thread, I do not intend for this to go on ad nauseam without some type of ultimate resolution.

(*Ignore the Ohio State motif in the background )

**Bob Danielson (1957-1962) was the 20th head coach for NDSU and put together a 13-39-2 (.240) record. I told you yesterday it was going to start getting ugly from here on out. Trust me, I only lie when it suits my purposes.
    **Grambling lost in the 1965 Pecan Bowl 20-7 and the Bison won National Championship #1.
    **The season record for breaking up passes is 20 and was set in 1972 by Lorren Henke.
    **In the first round of the 1977 Playoffs Northern Michigan lost 20-6.
    **In 1978 Dirk Kroeze established the record for defensive penetrations in a season (tackles for loss not including sacks) at 20. Once again, we've just lost Izzy. Speaking of Izzy, where has he been lately?
    **From 1980-1989 the Bison were 103-20-2 (.837). During that decade they participated in 8 D2 playoffs and six National Championship games. They won four of those contests in 1983, 1985, 1986, and 1988. The Bison also won 7 NCC titles during that decade.
    **Steve Walker is currently #4 all-time with his 20 passing touchdowns in 2007.
    **The Bison were ranked at #1 in the STATS Poll for 20 straight weeks from 2012 to 2013.

Two strong safeties and a wide receiver are among the Bison to wear #20. First Craig Dahl (2003-2006; 6-1, 213 pounds) played in 43 games and made 238 tackles in his career. According to the record books, he had 229 total tackles with 132 of them unassisted (#7 in Bison history), although another NDSU source said that it was 134. Either way that was pretty decent. Craig is also #8 with 2 blocked kicks and #10 with 5 fumbles recovered (tied with many others in both categories). He also had 7 interceptions and 5 kick returns for 75 yards while at NDSU. In 2007 he caught on as a UFA with the Giants and in his 9 year NFL career he also played for the Rams, 49ers, and then the Giants again. I couldn't find any pictures of Dahl in action while he was at NDSU, but here are two from his stint with the Giants.

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3880

The second #20 was 5-11, 206-pound strong safety Colten Heagle (2010-2014). Heagle was a heavy hitter who played in 58 games and holds the Bison Single-season record for unassisted tackles with 59 (2014; also #9 with 50 in 2013), a mark he shares with Nick DeLuca. He is #6 in total tackles (336) and #1 with 191 unassisted tackles in his career. This last record is particularly impressive to me given the fact that #2 is Joe Mays with 159. Throw in 6 interceptions (3 in his last year, 2014) and 14 TFL and you get the idea Colten was a busy boy. Below is a list of his awards:
    * 2014 Buck Buchanan Award Finalist
    * 2013 Sports Network FCS All-America Third Team
    * 2013 College Sports Journal All-America
    * 2013 All-MVFC First Team
    * 2012 Preseason All-MVFC
    * 2011 All-MVFC Second Team
    * 2011, 2013 MVFC Defensive Player of the Week
    * 2010 MVFC All-Newcomer Team

The third #20 is 5-11, 188-pound Senior wide receiver Darrius Shepard. So far he has played in 42 games and has combined 178 yards rushing (24 carries, 7.4 yards a carry, 1 TD; Jet sweep anyone?) with 1,776 yards receiving (126, 14.1 average, and 11 TD's). Although his number of receptions did not decline in 2017 Shepard only had 1 TD compared with 5 in each of his first two years. His single TD did come at a great time on a 50-yard play against JMU to extend the Bison lead to 14-3. One other catch I will always remember is the 18-yard game-winner in 2015 from Wentz against UNI with just 38 seconds left. With losses to graduation in 2017, Darrius needs to step up and have a great year.

Finally, it is goodbye to the 20's and hello to day 19 of the countdown tomorrow.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Paul Fix

Slowly we turn, second by second, minute by the minute, hour by hour. I could go on, but you get a general idea of what I mean. I love good theatre and Bison football has certainly obliged since the current dynasty started in 2011. Not all of the drama has been positive with a two-point loss to SDSU, and three-point losses to YSU, ISU-B, South Dakota, and Montana. And of course, the JMU debacle. On the other hand, there were thrilling wins over UNI, K-State, and Iowa; overtime success against YSU, EWU, and Charleston Southern; and down to the wire playoff victories against GSU, SDSU, ISU-R, and JMU. And who could forget the anxiety of the 2015 UN_ game when they bolted out to a 3 point lead and we only managed a 34-9 win? I have probably left some games out, but that is off the top of my head. With six National Championships in seven years, on balance, the melodrama has been far more good than bad. Personally, I am greedy and want two more before the new decade arrives. Our friend 14>1 wants to wear a 16>0 shirt when he goes to Oregon in 2020. Anyway, who knows what drama awaits us this year. Only 19 days to go before we start to find out.

**It was 1947 when Jerry Mulready was the 169th player selected in the NFL draft. He was chosen by the Pittsburgh Steelers as the 4th pick in the 19th round.
    **Les Luymes was the Bison's 19th head coach and was 5-4 (.556) in 1956. Hey, it was a winning record and it gets a lot, lot worse.
    **In 1984 Dave Piepkorn was drafted by Cleveland. He was the 19th pick in the 5th round and #131 overall, although unfortunately he was cut toward the end of training camp.
    **The fewest points allowed by the Bison defense in a 3 game playoff series was 19 in 1986. The opponents and scores were: Ashfield, 50-0; Central State of Ohio, 35-12; and South Dakota, 27-7.
    **Lamar Gordon was drafted by the Rams in 2000 as the 19th pick in the 3rd round (84th overall).
    **Currently NDSU has a 19 game streak of home-opening wins since 1999. If it doesn't become 20 in 19 days it's going to be a long season.

Two excellent punters wore #19 for NDSU. John Prelvitz (2006-2010) was on the team for 4 years but only played in 36 games over 3 seasons. He is still #2 all-time (tie) with an 80-yard punt against Missouri State in 2010 and holds single-season records for total yards and attempts (75/3,197). For his career, he is #4 for attempts (161) and average yards per punt (40.88), as well as #5 in total yards (6,581). In the 6-3 victory against FBS victim #4 Kansas, he had 8 punts for 853 yards (44.1 per punt). Of those 8 there were 3 placed inside the 20 and 2 touchbacks. The other 5 were returned for a total of 8 yards. That is fairly decent special teams play.

The other #19 was Ben LeCompte (2011-2015), one of the very best. He is tied at #8 with a 75-yard punt and is #2 in the single-season category with 2,843 yards (he is also #'s 4, 6 and 7 in this category) and #4 with 621 attempts. For his career, he is #1 for yards (10,158), attempts (228), and average (44.55). Oh, and he picked up a few accolades along the way:
    * 2015 STATS All-America First Team
    * 2015 FCS ADA All-America First Team
    * 2015 AP All-America Second Team
    * 2015 College Sporting News Fab 50 All-America
    * 2015 College Sporting News Special Teams Player of the Year
    * 2014 Sports Network All-America Second Team
    * 2014 College Football Performance.com FCS Punter of the Year
    * 2014, 2015 All-MVFC First Team
    * 2013 All-MVFC Second Team
    * 2012 MVFC All-Newcomer Team
    * 2014 College Football Performance.com Punter of the Week
    * 2013 MVFC Special Teams Player of the Week
    * 2013 Sports Network Special Teams Player of the Week
    * 2012 MVFC Newcomer of the Week
    * 2012 College Football Performance.com FCS Playoffs Weekly Award
    * 2012 College Sports Journal Freshman of the Week
    * 2012 College Sports Journal FCS All-Freshman Team
    * 2015 MVFC Commissioner's Academic Excellence Award
    * 2013, 2014, 2015 MVFC Honor Roll

No, this last picture is not a Forum photo illustration. Ben attempted to kick 2 field goals in his career. I was just trying to find out if you were paying attention.

It appears that this year's punting chores will be handled by #38 Sophomore Garret Wegner. I think everyone is hoping for an improvement in the punting over the last two years. Garret, if you are one of the faithful readers of the Countdown to Cal Poly thread (and why wouldn't he be?) you could do worse than watching some tape of these two #19's. I normally shy away from giving coaching advice like other members of BV, but Garret, watch the tapes.

We are turning the page to another day tomorrow which according to my mathematical calculations will be 18 days to go. Let's hope for only good drama from September 1st through January 5th. I am pretty sure that it won't totally happen that way though.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-13-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Paul Fix

Today there are 18 days to go until the season opener and it is hard for me to believe there are only 17 more editions of The Countdown to Poly after today.

I read a post on this thread last week that Cal Poly has only 4 returning starters on defense so I took a quick look at their 2018 roster. Things are particularly looking grim on the D-line, where they have apparently even enrolled Chumley to play. So much for those low acceptance rates.

**Del Anderson had the distinction of being the 18th head coach at NDSU for the 1954 and 1955 seasons. His record was 1-16-1 (.183). No, that isn't reversed or any kind of typographical error. I fact-checked this one three times. Let the nightmare begin in earnest.
    **Against the Coyotes in 1965 the Bison defense established the record for fewest yards allowed at -18. That was some defense that day. I fact checked that one three times as well.
    **In the 1981 semifinals, Shippensburg State was beaten by the Bison 18-6.
    **Bob Erickson was taken by the San Francisco 49ers as the 18th pick in the 17th round and the 434th selection overall in 1973.
    **Stacey Robinson was the 18th pick of the New York Giants in the 2nd round (46th player taken overall in 1985).
    **Pittsburg State was defeated 18-12 in 1994 in the first round of the playoffs. Pitt State was one of my alma maters. Not that it really matters. It happens to be the only University with the nickname Gorillas, and the mascot is called Gus. That matters even less.
    **The Bison hold the MVFC record for the most consecutive conference wins at 18 (2012-2014).

Before he wore #7 quarterback Cole Davis (2013-2017; 6-3, 215 pounds) was number #18. He played in 21 games during his career and had one rushing touchdown (where he hurt his shoulder) and one passing. Overall he completed 15 passes in 29 attempts for 190 yards. Throughout his time at NDSU Davis was either #2 or #3 on the depth chart (zero starts) behind Wentz and Stick and in 2016 he began holding for the extra point and field goal tries. Holding for kickers and being an O-lineman strikes me as toiling in anonymity unless you screw up. To me and I am sure to many others the important thing about Davis was that while others left NDSU when it became obvious that their playing time was limited he remained loyal to the program. For that Cole deserves a lot of respect.

Jersey #18 is currently worn by Sophomore Adam Cofield (5-11 205-pounds). To date, he has seen limited action due to the Bison being deep at running back deep at running back and a knee injury that he suffered in the YSU game last year. In 2017 he played in 6 games and rushed for 163 yards on 43 carries (3.8 average). Before he got hurt I thought he showed some promise with an ability to get the tough yards between the tackles. Entering this season I would guess he is the 5th back which might limit his playing time again, but who knows what will happen with injuries.

Fannette, it is almost time to start the Cal Poly sign ideas and look alike threads. Tomorrow will already be only 17 days to go.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-14-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    Paul Fix

That Pitt St game you mention is the stuff of legend. It went to OT, first OT college game I ever saw. Guy I played against in high school was a big hero that day, Kelly Artz. One of the best pure athletes I've ever seen play ND 9 man football:

http://deerequipment.com/employeepag...elly_artz.html

Jersey #18 is currently worn by Sophomore Adam Cofield (5-11 205-pounds). To date, he has seen limited action due to the Bison being deep at running back deep at running back and a knee injury that he suffered in the YSU game last year. In 2017 he played in 6 games and rushed for 163 yards on 43 carries (3.8 average). Before he got hurt I thought he showed some promise with an ability to get the tough yards between the tackles. Entering this season I would guess he is the 4th back which might limit his playing time again, but who knows what will happen with injuries.

Fannette, it is almost time to start the Cal Poly sign ideas and look alike threads. Tomorrow will already be only 17 days to go.[/QUOTE]

Who would you put him ahead of? Dunn, Anderson, Brooks, Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by #1BISONFAN ASHLEY View Post
    Jersey #18 is currently worn by Sophomore Adam Cofield (5-11 205-pounds). To date, he has seen limited action due to the Bison being deep at running back deep at running back and a knee injury that he suffered in the YSU game last year. In 2017 he played in 6 games and rushed for 163 yards on 43 carries (3.8 average). Before he got hurt I thought he showed some promise with an ability to get the tough yards between the tackles. Entering this season I would guess he is the 4th back which might limit his playing time again, but who knows what will happen with injuries.

Fannette, it is almost time to start the Cal Poly sign ideas and look alike threads. Tomorrow will already be only 17 days to go.
    Who would you put him ahead of? Dunn, Anderson, Brooks, Wilson[/QUOTE]

That is a good catch. I'll make that #5.
    Paul Fix

Here we are at day 17 in the Countdown To Cal Poly and I can feel the anticipation building more each day.

In developing these posts, when I have a case of writer's block I will do the body of these daily missives and then the openings and closings afterward. Today, after checking and rechecking the spelling of names, facts, and figures and proofreading several times in an effort to present you, my loyal readers, with accurate data (after all, I wouldn't want to be the first to post inaccurate information on BV) my head is spinning so much I can't think of anything clever at the beginning to say (really, I do try). So, like Seinfeld, this part is really about nothing (and maybe it always is) and on with the business of the day.

**Mac Wenkunas compiled an 11-21-1 (.348) record from 1950-1953 as the 17th head coach of the Herd. I don't like to say I told you so (well, to be honest sometimes I do), but I told you so. I have the feeling that if a current coach had a record near this bad or the ones that are to come BV would break out the tar and feathers and run him out of town on a rail. I guess it would be better than a hanging.
    **In 1986 the 17th pick in the 26th round was Ken Rota. He was selected by the Green Bay Packers as the 461st player in the draft.
    **Doug Lloyd was the 17th selection in the sixth round (156th overall) by the Oakland Raiders in 1989.
    **In the first round of the 1990 playoffs, Northern Colorado was defeated 17-7. The Bison went on that season to win National Championship #8.
    **In 2011 NDSU beat SHSU 17-6 and a dynasty was born with National Championship #1. The 11 point difference was by far the closest that SHSU has come to winning in four D1 playoff games with NDSU.
    **During the 4 games in the 2012 D1 playoffs, NDSU scored 68 points for an average of 17 per game.
    **Last season NDSU beat JMU 17-13 for D1 National Championship #6. For me, it was at least a modicum of revenge for the 2016 semifinal loss.

I really have a lot of respect for those players who knew they were never going to get a chance to play for a National Championship. I don't remember who it was, but I recently read an interview where one of these players was asked if there were any regrets and his answer was something to the effect that he and others knew their role in the long-term goals of the program. One of my favorite linebackers from that transition era was 6-1 230-pound Mike Maresh who wore #17 from 2004-2008. Mike played in 42 games (all starts) and is #12 on the all-time unassisted tackles list with 120 (plus 121 assists). He also had 16.5 TFL, 4 interceptions, and 4 sacks during his career as a weakside linebacker. Below is a very short video of Maresh making friends with everyone he meets.

Kicker Adam Keller (6-1, 205 pounds; 2011-2014) was one of the Bison's all-time best. By the time this #17's career was over, he managed to place #5 or better in just a few NDSU record categories:
    Game: #3 (tie) PAT kicking (9); #1 most FG's (5), #2 twice (4, tie) and #5 (3, tie).
    Season: #1 total points (145, 58 PAT's and 29 FG's), PAT's made (76; also #3, 58 and #4, 57 tie); PAT attempts (78; also #3, 61 and #4, 59 tie); PAT% (98.3, 58/59 ); FG's made and attempts (29/34 and #2, 18/24); and #2 FG% (85.3, 29/34; and #5 (tie) twice 75%, 9/12 and 18/24).

I feel like one of the infomercials that advertise an item for only $19.99: "But wait, there's more".

Career: #1 PAT's made, and attempts (101/198); #4 PAT % (.965); #3 points scored (359, 191 PAT's and 56 FG's); #1 FG's made and #2 attempts (56/70): and #1 FG% made (80, 56/70).
    Overall he didn't do too bad for a guy who occasionally swung his leg and headed for the sideline.

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5750

All I'll say for now is that is it for the number 17 and tomorrow is day 16. I'll redouble my efforts at being quick-witted for the next post. Feel free to PM me with suggestions for my openings so I can rip them off and pretend they are my own. For now, I have been saving a special beverage for such an occasion like this one. Maybe this will help me think more clearly.
    Last edited by Vet70; 08-15-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Paul Fix