Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed Schulz dead at 64

Default Re: Ed Schulz dead at 64

To see all the people who loved him tweeting about him, I wish I'd would have met that version years ago.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    To see all the people who loved him tweeting about him, I wish I'd would have met that version years ago.
    Just about everybody speaks well of the dead. Heck people will probably say nice things about you when you are dead.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This dates me me big time, but when Ed essentially took over Jim Adelson for NDSU and other Fargo sports it was great fun at football games when the chants started along the lines of "Ed Shultz su.ks, You're Right!", then he inadvertently shot his dog and it only got better (or worse depending on your point of view!). As a sports broadcaster he was decent as I recall. As a political broadcaster he showed his true calling by parroting whomever was paying him and that takes talent. The real thing that bothers me is that he was only 5 years older than me when he passed. That is too young...may he rest in peace and my condolences to his family.

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Great highlight film! This was back when I lost touch with NDSU football (no internet, no national coverage, nothing). The option offense was fun to watch at the D2 level. The game sure looked faster than more contemporary D2 championship games I have attempted to watch. Those uniforms are nothing to be proud of, though.
    The play by play is excellent as far as I am concerned.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Love him or hate him, he is and will always be a Fargo/Moorhead legend. How many stories can we compile about big Eddie?

1. He is 1 or the 2 people any of us would think of when we think "Voice of the Bison." Yes, Scottie passed him, but many of us grew up loving Bison football through listening to Eddie.
    2. He had rumors of beating his wife.
    3. He jumped out of a press box once to go after someone who threw a bottle at him.
    4. He shot a dog. And he did have a very good outdoors show.
    5. He was top dog in the TV sports market, when we jumped ship to work with a new media company owned by Ottertail Power is memory serves; becomes the voice of the "knuckleheads." (Yes, Rocky quote, but love it too much.)
    6. Was an extremely successful conservative local commentator until he realized that market was flooded nationally, so he becomes a liberal commentator. He was an early master increasing himself through the politics of division in media.
    7. Succeeds nationally with syndicated radio show, and MSNBC show.
    8. Features the Bison on his national show after the first title. (I actually thought that was pretty classy.)
    9. Gets in trouble with MSNBC after a major league meltdown, and always seemed to be on a short leash after that.
    10. Gets let go by MSNBC.
    11. Goes to work for Putin, who most would agree is a Trump fan. (Can't make this stuff up.....)

What a crazy, crazy life. I hope he found what he was looking for, but he made some serious coin in the day. I'll choose to remember Eddie as I do Scottie Miller, as my window to Bison football. RIP Eddie.
    The bottle was not thrown at Ed, it was intended to be flipped over the press box, but was short armed through the press box window, barely missing Dana. Ed flipped out and ran into the crowd, grabbing a few people by the collar along the way.

Grew up listening to every Bison away game football and basketball on AM radio. Eddie's voice was a staple in our house on Saturday afternoons like many in the FM area. Two things above all else stand out to me. One not necessarily Eddie related, one of the championship games when I was young we were at my grandparents in SD and I remember my dad making the entire extended family listen to the game. The other(so many memories that go along with most other people's so I'm sharing a unique one here), I once saw Eddie standing on the baseline of a basketball game circa 1986ish ... he was looking over a piece of office paper ... He puts it down, looks into the camera and rambles off a few solid minutes of scores and sports stories for 10 o'clock news or some live cut in or something. Remember being super impressed whatever it was for.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaOkie View Post
    Great highlight film! This was back when I lost touch with NDSU football (no internet, no national coverage, nothing). The option offense was fun to watch at the D2 level. The game sure looked faster than more contemporary D2 championship games I have attempted to watch. Those uniforms are nothing to be proud of, though.
    The play by play is excellent as far as I am concerned.
    Was Road at this game? Lol
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/colum...ly-complicated

McFeely nailed it. My question is are there people really that gullible that they don't know people like Eddie, O'Reilly, Hanity, Limbaugh, Jeff Tobin, etc., etc. don't believe half the crap they spew, but are doing it for the coin? I find that very, very scary......even McFeely, while likely always left leaning, know playing that up is good for ratings......

God help us if people really take these people seriously.....

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    http://www.inforum.com/opinion/colum...ly-complicated

McFeely nailed it. My question is are there people really that gullible that they don't know people like Eddie, O'Reilly, Hanity, Limbaugh, Jeff Tobin, etc., etc. don't believe half the crap they spew, but are doing it for the coin? I find that very, very scary......even McFeely, while likely always left leaning, know playing that up is good for ratings......

God help us if people really take these people seriously.....
    I always suspect that people who are successful in that medium take a genuine part of their personality and crank it up to 11.

Anyways, love him or hate him, there is certainly a place for him in Bison lore. He was an asset to NDSU's program and certainly help promote the product.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.