Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Provost resigns

Default Provost resigns

Dear Campus Community,

Provost Beth Ingram has informed me today of her decision to step down from her post to take up her tenured faculty position in the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics, effective August 16, 2018. Beth came home to North Dakota after a successful career at the University of Iowa, where she served as Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education. She became Provost just as the state’s economy suffered a reversal, requiring her to make large reductions in the academic budget. She did so guided by the University’s determination to provide the best possible education to our students, support for faculty research, and service to the people of North Dakota.

Despite these challenges, Dr. Ingram was able to recruit six deans to join the University and bring about advancements in research administration, promotion and tenure processes, and student support. She represented North Dakota State University at numerous national conferences and was able to communicate to a broad audience about the outstanding achievements of NDSU faculty and students.

Beth will join the faculty and, I have no doubt, continue to make contributions to the University, albeit, in a different role. I appreciate all that she has done and will do as someone of rare talent, unquestioned integrity, and genuine determination.

Dean Bresciani

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Provost resigns

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Dear Campus Community,

Provost Beth Ingram has informed me today of her decision to step down from her post to take up her tenured faculty position in the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics, effective August 16, 2018. Beth came home to North Dakota after a successful career at the University of Iowa, where she served as Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education. She became Provost just as the state’s economy suffered a reversal, requiring her to make large reductions in the academic budget. She did so guided by the University’s determination to provide the best possible education to our students, support for faculty research, and service to the people of North Dakota.

Despite these challenges, Dr. Ingram was able to recruit six deans to join the University and bring about advancements in research administration, promotion and tenure processes, and student support. She represented North Dakota State University at numerous national conferences and was able to communicate to a broad audience about the outstanding achievements of NDSU faculty and students.

Beth will join the faculty and, I have no doubt, continue to make contributions to the University, albeit, in a different role. I appreciate all that she has done and will do as someone of rare talent, unquestioned integrity, and genuine determination.

Dean Bresciani

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Leaving an institution for another job is one thing, leaving a senior administrative post to teach and research is usually a sign that there was trouble in paradise.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this develops. Leaving an institution for another job is one thing, leaving a senior administrative post to teach and research is usually a sign that there was trouble in paradise.
    True...2 of 3 main administrators gone now....

No, not necessarily. Very common for senior people nearly retirement to "take a step back" as a faculty member and "coast" to retirement. Saw it over and over at the U of M. Its kind of like semi-retirement with a nice salary.

BTW, could also be trouble in paradise, but just saying not the only possible reason.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    No, not necessarily. Very common for senior people nearly retirement to "take a step back" as a faculty member and "coast" to retirement. Saw it over and over at the U of M. Its kind of like semi-retirement with a nice salary.

BTW, could also be trouble in paradise, but just saying not the only possible reason.
    I agree, but in this case I think it’s the latter...lot of dissatisfaction with upper admin right now....

I don't disagree that trouble is the only reason, that is why I wrote "usually." Saw it over and over again at NDSU for 37 years.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

I don't disagree that trouble is the only reason, that is why I wrote "usually." Saw it over and over again at NDSU for 37 years.
    How old is she? I think that means a lot in this kind of speculation.

How old is she? I think that means a lot in this kind of speculation.
    I can't find her age, but she got her BS degree in 1981. If she was a traditional age student that would mean she was born in about 1959. If my math is correct, which is always suspect, that would mean she is about 60. The other thing that is a red flag to me is that unless it was kept tightly under wraps (which is hard to do there) it seemed to happen all of a sudden. It will come out sooner or later.
    Paul Fix

Things must not be honkey dory in Old Main.

It's not uncommon for administrators to return to the faculty. It is odd that it is effective next month.

There are have been a number of administrative resignations/firings and nothing but internal searches. NDSU is undergoing duress because of the budget, but this is not normal practice.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    lot of dissatisfaction with upper admin right now....
    Let’s see … 50 % drop in external research funding since 2011, steady decline in enrollment over the last half decade or so, same webpage as 20 years ago. Who should be held accountable for these trends? Living in a castle someone else built is great until it starts falling apart and you realize you have no idea how to maintain it ...