Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TV Revenue Model

Default Re: New TV Revenue Model

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I like the ESPN 3 option we've become accustomed to. Not a huge fan of how they are now changing it to ESPN+ and if I recall correctly we now have to pay for access to see NDSU games or games that are offered only on ESPN+ ($5ish per month I think). Not terribly expensive but making the consumer pay for what they already had access to for free (part of your internet provider).
    That's kind of lame. For that 5 bucks a month, we probably dont see a penny but ESPN gets revenue and great content. Now there will be less viewers now that people who were getting it for free have to pay $60 a year. Other streaming platforms look more appealing

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Curious if we took the NDSU All Access and made it available on Roku and Google Play if it would get more subscriptions and if the quality would be better

So many cool options. How many people didnt buy this years Atrack The Process DVD because, well, it's a DVD. What If it was available on Amazon and it's in your cloud forever.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Curious if we took the NDSU All Access and made it available on Roku and Google Play if it would get more subscriptions and if the quality would be better

So many cool options. How many people didnt buy this years Atrack The Process DVD because, well, it's a DVD. What If it was available on Amazon and it's in your cloud forever.
    What if NDSU athletics streamed it live on Youtube, and somehow monetized it with ads... not an expert on this option, but it might be possible, and it would be a foot in the door with Google

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    What if NDSU athletics streamed it live on Youtube, and somehow monetized it with ads... not an expert on this option, but it might be possible, and it would be a foot in the door with Google
    I think all that stuff is the future. You Tube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world after Google itself. They have already launched a streaming service and are starting to produce their own content. Their streaming service, like Netflix, runs perfectly and seemingly everyone in the country has access to it on their phones, tablets, PC's, and flat screens. Facebook Live has just as much or more potential.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    Since my son plays DIII lacrosse and I am so far away I watch all of his games online.. some of the teams they played did it this way.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Things are going to get quite interesting as the expiration draws near for the "grant of rights" TV deals by the conferences.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Much as we all like FCS, MVFC and NDSU the fact is that, in the big picture, it is a niche market. For this reason I don't think that the FCS teams/conferences will put together packages like "the B1G Network"or something like that. Though, possibly, the FCS could do it, but still not sure that the market is big enough to justify its own network(s). I think the more likely thing would be for Amazon or Netflix to enter a contract with the FCS to broadcast and archive games for fans and include it with their "subscriptions" (Must be a Netflix customer OR Amazon Prime member). Why would Netflix or Amazon do this? Simple, it is considered to be easy "original" content. TBS had the Braves and WGN had the Cubs and it meant that, for relatively little money compared to producing a "series" they had HOURS of exclusive and original content. I realize that the production and broadcast of a program isn't free but given the choice between having to hire writers, pay a bunch of actors/actresses, etc. and having 3-4 hours of content that "writes itself" the choice can be appealing.

The other option would be for teams to set up their own systems. This can be expensive so I would worry that they would try to do it "on the cheap" and, while the quality of football would be high, the quality of production to view it would be very low.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    Much as we all like FCS, MVFC and NDSU the fact is that, in the big picture, it is a niche market. For this reason I don't think that the FCS teams/conferences will put together packages like "the B1G Network"or something like that. Though, possibly, the FCS could do it, but still not sure that the market is big enough to justify its own network(s). I think the more likely thing would be for Amazon or Netflix to enter a contract with the FCS to broadcast and archive games for fans and include it with their "subscriptions" (Must be a Netflix customer OR Amazon Prime member). Why would Netflix or Amazon do this? Simple, it is considered to be easy "original" content. TBS had the Braves and WGN had the Cubs and it meant that, for relatively little money compared to producing a "series" they had HOURS of exclusive and original content. I realize that the production and broadcast of a program isn't free but given the choice between having to hire writers, pay a bunch of actors/actresses, etc. and having 3-4 hours of content that "writes itself" the choice can be appealing.

The other option would be for teams to set up their own systems. This can be expensive so I would worry that they would try to do it "on the cheap" and, while the quality of football would be high, the quality of production to view it would be very low.
    An FCS channel would attract a decent amount of viewers but that model would never work because only 10 teams generate all the viewers and interest. Outside of the big teams, we would be attracting all the viewers and split the money with teams nobody cares about. They would have to compensate the teams who are on the air with more revenue.

If you took the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, and Southland and had a TV Network, that would have more clout. But with 4 conferences, there wouldn't be enough teams getting air time.

In a perfect scenario, doing it by conference would be good. Every week there is at least one good game.

Doing it by team has some potential if the technology is right. Sidearm sports and the all access is kind of meh production and its $89.95 for a full season of home games or $11 per month. No idea if we get a ton of revenue from it but I guarantee if it could be accessed through ROKU, Google Play, or Amazon more people would pay.

But its still not the mass numbers to attract viewers or subscribers.

I am pretty confident between NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, UNI, Youngstown, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, and Misery State there are enough fans who would subscribe to a full season of football games. The question is would we give away the product for cheap to get mass viewers on a channel or get less viewers and a shared subscription fee?

The Dakota schools are pretty easy to find on TV already if you live in the footprint. Its the fans who live outside of the footprint who would be the big target. How many NDSU fans live in Minnesota who are outside of the KVLY feed? The non Dakota MVFC teams are less accessible on local TV.

If I was the MVFC, I would sell the conference TV rights to Netflix for cheap just for the exposure, as long as it has a big time production. Can't put some D2 level production on Netflix. Money could be recouped through national advertising.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Can y'all clear this up for me before the season? I have Midco internet and get my TV through PSVue streaming service (may switch to Hulu w/ live tv at some point), and have had access to WatchESPN in the past. With ESPN+ am I going to have to pay the monthly fee to get access to the other MVFC (and Southland) games that I've gotten accustomed to watching?

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Can y'all clear this up for me before the season? I have Midco internet and get my TV through PSVue streaming service (may switch to Hulu w/ live tv at some point), and have had access to WatchESPN in the past. With ESPN+ am I going to have to pay the monthly fee to get access to the other MVFC (and Southland) games that I've gotten accustomed to watching?
    I am not sure which FCS games will be ESPN3 and which ones will be ESPN+, so I subscribed just to be safe... it's $5 a month which is really no big deal. O enjoy being able to watch MVFC games all day on Saturdays -- also like to sneak in a little Southlan football as well.

Wish the CAA and Big Sky got it together and started streaming all games on ESPN... personally don't give a crap about any of the other conferences.