Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New TV Revenue Model

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default New TV Revenue Model

So, I'm thinking about some out-of-the-box ideas today.

In the future, I expect TV revenues to be driven more by subscription to a team or conference, not mere sharing of TV rights. So, rather than just getting the FCS games that your local provider decides to offer, perhaps you could subscribe to the teams and conferences you want to watch. If given the choice of a conference and a handful of additional teams, it is hard to imagine that NDSU wouldn't be on everyone's subscription list. And while you may not have a huge population in your state, you would surely have the largest FCS subscription base by far.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Default Re: New TV Revenue Model

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    So, I'm thinking about some out-of-the-box ideas today.

In the future, I expect TV revenues to be driven more by subscription to a team or conference, not mere sharing of TV rights. So, rather than just getting the FCS games that your local provider decides to offer, perhaps you could subscribe to the teams and conferences you want to watch. If given the choice of a conference and a handful of additional teams, it is hard to imagine that NDSU wouldn't be on everyone's subscription list. And while you may not have a huge population in your state, you would surely have the largest FCS subscription base by far.
    We had that already, it was/is called All Access and it sucked. ESPN3 is better.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A few years from now, Amazon and Netflix will throw their hat into the ring and they have just as much or more money than ESPN has to spend on content. They already have access to most of the US so the transition will be easy. Amazon and Netflix is rising. ESPN is declining and with less and less cable subscribers, it's inevitable. Of course they won't have access to the big dogs of the world for a while since they are locked up, but in time it will happen. The G5 schools will probably be the first to broadcast on these platforms since they don't get the SEC/Big Ten type money.

Netflix already pays 50-70 million for 1 season of a top show. How much would they pay for an entire FOOTBALL CONFERENCE? Split that up among 10 teams and suddenly you have money, you have more exposure, and Netflix has totally unique content and great viewership. Shit, they could even sell COMMERCIALS to recoup some of that money.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    A few years from now, Amazon and Netflix will throw their hat into the ring and they have just as much or more money than ESPN has to spend on content. They already have access to most of the US so the transition will be easy. Amazon and Netflix is rising. ESPN is declining and with less and less cable subscribers, it's inevitable. Of course they won't have access to the big dogs of the world for a while since they are locked up, but in time it will happen. The G5 schools will probably be the first to broadcast on these platforms since they don't get the SEC/Big Ten type money.

Netflix already pays 50-70 million for 1 season of a top show. How much would they pay for an entire FOOTBALL CONFERENCE? Split that up among 10 teams and suddenly you have money, you have more exposure, and Netflix has totally unique content and great viewership. Shit, they could even sell COMMERCIALS to recoup some of that money.
    To make it work, you need to market what NDSU and the MVFC are all about... market the MVFC as the last bastion of smash mouth football! In a world where college football is all about "air raid" spread offenses -- I think there is a segment of the college football audience that appreciate teams that run the football down the other teams throat. Properly marketed, exploiting the blue collar "boulder on the shoulder" attitude, and you might get some interest.

ESPN is going to own Fox pretty soon so I think they might re-purpose the regional sports networks to get some of their stuff like FCS football on to it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    To make it work, you need to market what NDSU and the MVFC are all about... market the MVFC as the last bastion of smash mouth football! In a world where college football is all about "air raid" spread offenses -- I think there is a segment of the college football audience that appreciate teams that run the football down the other teams throat. Properly marketed, exploiting the blue collar "boulder on the shoulder" attitude, and you might get some interest.
    If/when TV goes to a subscription model that requires viewers to pick teams and conferences, I have to think that you will get a big share of the market that wants hard-nosed football.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    ESPN is going to own Fox pretty soon so I think they might re-purpose the regional sports networks to get some of their stuff like FCS football on to it.
    It's just a band aid on a model that will disappear some day. At the end of the day, Fox and ESPN will have the same number of channels and if Fox wouldn't put FCS on, not sure why ESPN would.

But with the espn streaming channels, they will suddenly have a ton of content.

Fox Sports North is the one channel I would love to see. That's a basic cable channel in ND, SD, and MN. You want to on a channel that has the twins, wild, and wolves. I would take that over state wide NBC. But in time, FSN North will run out of viewers too as people cut cable.

But long term Netflix or Amazon could be like the early days of ESPN when they had no viewers and nobody cared about the Big East basketball but Villanova and Georgetown ended up being national brands and as ESPN grew, it was a great deal for both

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    They actually have to sell off those regional Fox Sports channels. The Government required that they sell those off before they would allow the acquisition of Fox.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

It's just a band aid on a model that will disappear some day. At the end of the day, Fox and ESPN will have the same number of channels and if Fox wouldn't put FCS on, not sure why ESPN would.

But with the espn streaming channels, they will suddenly have a ton of content.

Fox Sports North is the one channel I would love to see. That's a basic cable channel in ND, SD, and MN. You want to on a channel that has the twins, wild, and wolves. I would take that over state wide NBC. But in time, FSN North will run out of viewers too as people cut cable.

But long term Netflix or Amazon could be like the early days of ESPN when they had no viewers and nobody cared about the Big East basketball but Villanova and Georgetown ended up being national brands and as ESPN grew, it was a great deal for both

How long do you think the channels will last? Will there be a period of overlap between channels and team subscriptions? Or might it jump right to team subscriptions?

I think there will be a short overlap as the providers transition to an "all subscription" model.

Pick a single game (very expensive per game).
    Pick a single team (expensive, but worth it to the people who want to watch their team).
    Pick a conference (probably closest to the current channel model).
    Pick a bundle of teams and/or conferences (perhaps with a limit on the number of "premium" teams or conferences you can pick).
    Unlimited package (I gotta have this one).

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I like the ESPN 3 option we've become accustomed to. Not a huge fan of how they are now changing it to ESPN+ and if I recall correctly we now have to pay for access to see NDSU games or games that are offered only on ESPN+ ($5ish per month I think). Not terribly expensive but making the consumer pay for what they already had access to for free (part of your internet provider).