Thread: FBS Premier League format

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default FBS Premier League format

Most of the discussion here about "going FBS" is based on the current conference system. And most of the discussion about major change in the FBS system is something like going to four 16 team conferences.

What if you blew up the current FBS and FCS conferences and remade college football into made it eight 24 team conferences? Each conference would have upper and lower divisions. Teams would play most of their games within their respective upper or lower division. However, there would be a possibility of teams moving up/down toward the end of each season or between seasons.

My point is not the exact structure, but the radical concept of teams moving up/down between upper and lower levels based on their performance. I've heard the Big 12 Commissioner say something about "thinking differently about the conferences" and wondered if he meant something like this.

A premier league format opens the door for great FCS teams (NDSU) and undefeated mid-major teams (FIU) to earn their way into the premier national championship competition.

P.S. Not just trying to start another thread about "should we go FBS," but thought this might be an interesting off-season conversation. I'm certainly intrigued by it. And frankly, I don't care so much about the national championship part as the increased play between FBS and FCS teams.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Default Re: FBS Premier League format

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Most of the discussion here about "going FBS" is based on the current conference system. And most of the discussion about major change in the FBS system is something like going to four 16 team conferences.

What if you blew up the current FBS and FCS conferences and remade college football into made it eight 24 team conferences? Each conference would have upper and lower divisions. Teams would play most of their games within their respective upper or lower division. However, there would be a possibility of teams moving up/down toward the end of each season or between seasons.

My point is not the exact structure, but the radical concept of teams moving up/down between upper and lower levels based on their performance. I've heard the Big 12 Commissioner say something about "thinking differently about the conferences" and wondered if he meant something like this.

A premier league format opens the door for great FCS teams (NDSU) and undefeated mid-major teams (FIU) to earn their way into the premier national championship competition.

P.S. Not just trying to start another thread about "should we go FBS," but thought this might be an interesting off-season conversation. I'm certainly intrigued by it. And frankly, I don't care so much about the national championship part as the increased play between FBS and FCS teams.
    There was some dude who did an entire article on this idea a few years ago. However, this requires P5 schools to share money. Yep, good luck with that.......(reason I mock G5 fans who think they will ever get in the CFP.....)

I like the concept on the surface. Maybe there's a way to make it work, but it seems that there would be too many logistical hurdles to clear. Scheduling could be a nightmare if you don't know what level teams you'll be playing from year to year.

I recognize it is quite unlikely. The circumstances of breaking apart that would bring it about would probably also make it impossible to put back together. However, I want to think that it could be a way for the FBS conferences to expand.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Promotion/Relegation is awesome. Would looooove to see this happen.

Unfortunately, it never will. Which 10-25 P5 programs are willing to "lose their seat at the table" on purpose? You need the P5 schools to agree to potentially lose everything they have, and give it to other schools who they have promulgated the myth that they are the "little brothers" or JV.

Alabama probably wouldn't care... Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana etc might have ALOT to say about this idea though haha
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Promotion/Relegation is awesome. Would looooove to see this happen.

Unfortunately, it never will. Which 10-25 P5 programs are willing to "lose their seat at the table" on purpose? You need the P5 schools to agree to potentially lose everything they have, and give it to other schools who they have promulgated the myth that they are the "little brothers" or JV.

Alabama probably wouldn't care... Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana etc might have ALOT to say about this idea though haha

There would have to be financial motivation. Either a windfall profit. Or an escape from potentially worse financial decline.

As attendance declines and broadcast/cable TV declines, some sort of financial chaos is bound to come.