Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's your offensive and defensive breakout candidate in 2018?

Default Who's your offensive and defensive breakout candidate in 2018?

Even though this team returns quite a bit from last year there's still opportunity for breakout performances on either side of the ball. Last year Jabril Cox was clearly at the head of the pack for breakout performances defensively and offensively Ty Brooks, despite being limited by injury, came into his own as a home run hitting RB. Who's your pick this year and why?

My pick defensively would be S Michael Tutsie. He played very well in spring ball and recently Klieman called him out specifically saying he would've played in the playoffs last year if they had the "get 4 games free" redshirt rule last then that's in place now. There will be snaps to be had opposite Robbie Grimsley albeit with plenty of competition with guys like James Hendricks, Jaxon Brown, and Jaylaan Wimbush but I get the feeling one of those aforementioned guys will be the nickel DB as a CB/FS hybrid a la Bryan Shepherd so there will be even more snaps to go around between them.

Offensively I'll go with WR Christian Watson. This pick is mostly predicated on where there's the most opportunity. I was really disappointed that he got hurt in the spring since I've heard he has all the tools to be a great WR at this level. Someone is going to have to get targets out wide since Shep will probably move into the slot quite a bit during obvious passing situations. Watson still seems to be the most likely candidate to me to be that guy.

Default Re: Who's your offensive and defensive breakout candidate in 2018?

Offense: Noah Gindorff
    Defense: Jack Begley

Cox might be the best pick again with how much he was affecting games by the end of the year. Sky's the limit with his speed and instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    My pick defensively would be S Michael Tutsie.
    I think you might be on to something. I have to admit the first time I saw a picture of him he was wearing glasses and looked like all he was missing was the pocket protector. Then I watched his video and the way he hits. He might just be a great one.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Depends if breakout means going from good to great or being a first time player.

Players who could be a break out player..

Offensively..
    I'm gonna say Desmond Cain. Year in the system. Last year he was getting his feet wet.

Defensively...
    In gonna go with Jack Begley. We need a Mike linebacker who is good in coverage and from what I hear hes a smart dude and with DeLuca, he had no chance of burning a redshirt last year. He was a huge recruiting win last year
    Last edited by HerdBot; 06-26-2018 at 01:20 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I'm going to say Spencer waege on defense. He almost had his redshirt pulled and think he has big impact in there rotation at de. I know its going to be hard with menard and tuska but we rotate guys a lot. Quin alo was another guy I considered worth the loss of tanguay.
    On offense I'll go with Christian Watson. Hopefully he can be healthy after missing spring ball. We need another wr to step up.

Offensively I think Radunz will break out after the injury and dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Offensively I think Radunz will break out after the injury and dominate.
    I hope he's back to 100%. He could dominate. Another guy on the line to watch is c volson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    I hope he's back to 100%. He could dominate. Another guy on the line to watch is c volson.
    Radunz, like Menard were lucky they got injured early so week 1 or 2 should be realistic

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Radunz on offense...……..

Mercadel on defense...….

Offense - Ben Ellefson - The freshman TEs get the hype but Ben has quietly played in every game the last two years. With Illies and Wentz gone there are a lot of opportunities to get receptions at TE.
    Defense - Marquis Bridges - Made his name in the playoffs but if he is starting all year there is another level. With Allison locking down one side the number 2 corner is going to see a lot of balls his way. Bold prediction, Bridges leads the MVFC in INTs