Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Recruits

Default 2019 Recruits

With Junior duals going on now and Fargo nationals not too far around the corner, seems like a good time to look ahead to next year's recruits.

To my knowledge, the only commit for next year is Reed Williams out of Wisconsin. He took 3rd in the big school division in Wisconsin and projects around 174.

To start a wish list, there are two obvious names in state, in Ryan Ripplinger of Bismarck and Kyle Burwick of Hettinger. These guys are rock solid and continue to do well when they get a chance against strong national competition. They both won state at 126, and NDSU is deep down low, but I'm hoping they're high priorities. Their timelines would fit seamlessly (after a redshirt) with Bianchi and Sykora graduating in 2 years.

In MN, the well isn't particularly deep next year outside the best recruit in the country (for the 3rd time in the last 4 years). Guys I think could have some success at the D1 level are Jake Svihel, Cade King, Cael Carlson, & Zach Glazier. Glazier and King are my favorites of the bunch. Glazier projects at 174/184 and King at 184/197.

Looking outside MN and ND, I think the biggest name that NDSU might be in play for is Jace Luchau out of CA (projects at 165) and ranked #11 by Flo at 160. Another to watch is Joey Bianchi (Paul's brother) from Wisconsin. He hasn't had the HS success Paul had, but he's been pretty solid in his own right. Outside of them, I have no clue who NDSU could be after.

This class could potentially have big shoes to fill. After this class redshirts, NCAA qualifiers Paul Bianchi (125), Cam Sykora (133), Andrew Fogarty (165), and Lorenzo de La Riva (at CSUB) all graduate. Starters Cordell Eaton (197) and Nico Colunga will be graduating too. IMO, 197 is the biggest need in this class unless Noah Cressell really bulks up and improves as he comes to NDSU this year.

Default Re: 2019 Recruits

After his huge junior duals performance, Kyle Burwick of Hettinger is now ranked #5 at 126 in the country by Flo. He's likely on a lot more radars nationally now.

Michael Weber out of Montana is ranked #19 at 145 and he wrestled for team ND at Junior duals. Hopefully the staff is after him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    After his huge junior duals performance, Kyle Burwick of Hettinger is now ranked #5 at 126 in the country by Flo. He's likely on a lot more radars nationally now.

Michael Weber out of Montana is ranked #19 at 145 and he wrestled for team ND at Junior duals. Hopefully the staff is after him too.
    I can't remember which team it was, but one of them threw a fit about Weber wrestling for ND. Luckily it got cleared up when it was proven that both state chairs signed off on him wrestling for ND.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    With Junior duals going on now and Fargo nationals not too far around the corner, seems like a good time to look ahead to next year's recruits.

To my knowledge, the only commit for next year is Reed Williams out of Wisconsin. He took 3rd in the big school division in Wisconsin and projects around 174.

To start a wish list, there are two obvious names in state, in Ryan Ripplinger of Bismarck and Kyle Burwick of Hettinger. These guys are rock solid and continue to do well when they get a chance against strong national competition. They both won state at 126, and NDSU is deep down low, but I'm hoping they're high priorities. Their timelines would fit seamlessly (after a redshirt) with Bianchi and Sykora graduating in 2 years.

In MN, the well isn't particularly deep next year outside the best recruit in the country (for the 3rd time in the last 4 years). Guys I think could have some success at the D1 level are Jake Svihel, Cade King, Cael Carlson, & Zach Glazier. Glazier and King are my favorites of the bunch. Glazier projects at 174/184 and King at 184/197.

Looking outside MN and ND, I think the biggest name that NDSU might be in play for is Jace Luchau out of CA (projects at 165) and ranked #11 by Flo at 160. Another to watch is Joey Bianchi (Paul's brother) from Wisconsin. He hasn't had the HS success Paul had, but he's been pretty solid in his own right. Outside of them, I have no clue who NDSU could be after.

This class could potentially have big shoes to fill. After this class redshirts, NCAA qualifiers Paul Bianchi (125), Cam Sykora (133), Andrew Fogarty (165), and Lorenzo de La Riva (at CSUB) all graduate. Starters Cordell Eaton (197) and Nico Colunga will be graduating too. IMO, 197 is the biggest need in this class unless Noah Cressell really bulks up and improves as he comes to NDSU this year.
    I think Bianche has 1 more year left than Sykora. We do need to get Burwick and Ripplinger as you indicate. We do need a 197. Weber I believe has really dropped in the rankings by Flo. Also I thought our 1 commitment for 19 was Habish from Minnesota who is a 174.
    Last edited by harleycowboy; 06-29-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Hettinger's Kyle Burwick off to a good start at nationals in Fargo at 126 pounds.

Jace Luchau, 152 pounds out of California has a really interesting next match against Abbas of Iowa.

Jackson Turley from Virginia is a kid who has stated he wants to get out of VA for college and I think is a possible target. He's at 170 pounds.

Ryan Ripplinger of Bismarck is at 132 and has won a pair of 1 point matches, including a huge win over Colton Camacho from Pennsylvania, who is ranked #14 nationally.

Kyle Burwick took a visit to NDSU last weekend. Hoping to see a verbal out of him soon. He would be a huge get at a weight of need.

Luchau released his scheduled visits and NDSU wasn't among them, but that isn't really surprising given his national profile.

Coach Garnett said they got a verbal yesterday via twitter, same day Burwick visited...
    Doesn't mean that's who signed but sure makes you think, hopefully!

Well it wasn't Burwick, but looks like Gary Wokojance has verballed

https://ndwrestle.com/2018/09/04/ohi...mmit-for-2019/

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    Well it wasn't Burwick, but looks like Gary Wokojance has verballed

https://ndwrestle.com/2018/09/04/ohi...mmit-for-2019/
    Adidas rankings (found on The Open Mat website) has Wokojance at #10 in the 182 lb wt class
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Add Bismarck's Ryan Ripplinger to the list! Projects at 141 long term and has had some battles with Burwick