Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the potential weaknesses of the 2018 team?

Default Re: What are the potential weaknesses of the 2018 team?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Then explain to us here on Bisonville what the heck happened to SDSU, with their receivers and emphasis on the passing game, getting spanked by JMU?

BTW, our team are 14x Champs (for now), you dumb F'Hawker. They got their 7th title way back in 1988.
    Nope, you're just too dumb to understand. The teams in the FCS with the best receiving corp don't win National Championships, or haven't in a long time. Why? The defenses covering them are too good at this level.

Hence, why NDSU focuses on a run game with a West Coast Offense Scheme that utilizes TEs and RBs in the passing game too. Having some super elite WR at the FCS level isn't going to make much of a difference on how NDSU plays (maybe they throw the ball five more times a game, at most). Also, those type of WRs rarely play at this level. Moss did for bit along with T.O. and, of course, Jerry Rice. You see that type of WR in the FCS maybe once a decade.

In regards to FCS top WRs compared to guys likes R.J., they're not that much better, if at all. Their numbers are better because of one thing - the systems they play in. As I said before, if R.J. played for a team like SDSU instead of our team, we would have be envious of them like we were with Wieneke. His numbers would have been monstrous, but no National Championship rings to account for. The only reason you discount guys like Urzendowski and Vraa as elite WRs is because of their stats. That's flawed when not considering the system they play in.
    RJ wouldn't have got the ball at SDSU. They had two bona fide star pass catchers. Nothing wrong with admitting another team has guys better at something. NDSU has had consistently very good defense since 2011. Very good offensive line play since 2010, good to great QB play, talented RB's, etc. NDSU has not had a receiver who is stupid good as long as I've been watching. Some great pass catchers no doubt like Vraa and RJ but nothing outstanding like the other position groups. I've always looked at WR's as a luxury item when you play the way NDSU does anyway.

Sometimes other teams have better players at certain positions. SDSU is a great example of that with Goedert and Weineke. NDSU(and most teams) would have been blessed to have either of those dudes on the team.
    College of Business Alumnus

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Oooh aaaaahhhh! Look at the fireworks!

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Oooh aaaaahhhh! Look at the fireworks!
    For UNd fans it is called a dumpster fire.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    RJ wouldn't have got the ball at SDSU. They had two bona fide star pass catchers. Nothing wrong with admitting another team has guys better at something. NDSU has had consistently very good defense since 2011. Very good offensive line play since 2010, good to great QB play, talented RB's, etc. NDSU has not had a receiver who is stupid good as long as I've been watching. Some great pass catchers no doubt like Vraa and RJ but nothing outstanding like the other position groups. I've always looked at WR's as a luxury item when you play the way NDSU does anyway.

Sometimes other teams have better players at certain positions. SDSU is a great example of that with Goedert and Weineke. NDSU(and most teams) would have been blessed to have either of those dudes on the team.
    Much like your opinion of Wentz being "meh," your opinion of R.J. not being good enough to play at SDSU is, well:

There's a reason why Urzendowski was recruited to play at NDSU while the Bison didn't give Goedert and Weineke much of a thought, if any. I'll reiterate myself, again, SDSU's WRs are going to have better stats than NDSU's mainly for one reason, it's an integral part of their game plan. Last year, NDSU averaged less than 20 passes per game (12 completions/game). Comparatively, SDSU averaged a little under 33 passes per game (18 completions/game).

With R.J.'s speed (his 40 is faster than Weineke's), route running and his uncanny catching ability, I feel he would have made the roster of any DI team (at least a walk-on at the top P5 teams). Dude has mad skills. They just didn't get much exposure as opposed to his downfield blocking skills (an absolute must at NDSU).
    Hail the BISON!!!

Much like your opinion of Wentz being "meh
    Reminder to self, think before you put things in print.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

There's a reason why Urzendowski was recruited to play at NDSU while the Bison didn't give Goedert and Weineke much of a thought, if any.
    Alright. You are 100% right. NDSU has the best players ever. Never missed on a recruit. Never overlooked a guy. And never, under any circumstance, is a dude from a local school better than whoever plays that same position for NDSU. Every player at NDSU, not just the starters, EVERY player...would be a unanimous All-American had they decided to go to a different school.
    College of Business Alumnus

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Did Mom take someone's sparklers away?

Maybe NDSU doesn't recruit on just talent alone.

Back on track. Special teams. I want to see some young guns making some noise on special teams.

Lardsin must go!

Much like your opinion of Wentz being "meh," your opinion of R.J. not being good enough to play at SDSU is, well:

There's a reason why Urzendowski was recruited to play at NDSU while the Bison didn't give Goedert and Weineke much of a thought, if any. I'll reiterate myself, again, SDSU's WRs are going to have better stats than NDSU's mainly for one reason, it's an integral part of their game plan. Last year, NDSU averaged less than 20 passes per game (12 completions/game). Comparatively, SDSU averaged a little under 33 passes per game (18 completions/game).

With R.J.'s speed (his 40 is faster than Weineke's), route running and his uncanny catching ability, I feel he would have made the roster of any DI team (at least a walk-on at the top P5 teams). Dude has mad skills. They just didn't get much exposure as opposed to his downfield blocking skills (an absolute must at NDSU).
    So...whats the reason? Because the 2 you mentioned that weren't give much of a thought by NDSU are now a 2nd round draft pick and a practice squad member while RJ is currently playing for....?

Saying RJ is better than either of those is insane. RJ's good. Those 2 were greats. Anytime they can take a program like SDSU and threaten/win a few games vs this NDSU in this time where NDSU steam throttles 90% of the teams they play is impressive. They had 2 freaking players NDSU had to worry about and they still are currently on a 2 game losing streak vs SDSU because of them. Meanwhile before those 2, NDSU rattled off 9 effortless wins in a row vs SDSU. Theyre difference makers whether you want to believe me or not.

NDSU doesnt lose to SDSU ever if you replace Wieneke with RJ. How do you not see that?

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As usual the truth falls somewhere in between CM and the big undie. We have o-line guys drafted or signing FA almost annually. The last WR who had any NFL interest was Heck 10 years ago or whatever. WR is not as big a recruiting priority for us and the guys that we do get know they aren't going to have great numbers and they better be able to block!
    Last edited by semobison; 07-04-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    So...whats the reason? Because the 2 you mentioned that weren't give much of a thought by NDSU are now a 2nd round draft pick and a practice squad member while RJ is currently playing for....?

Saying RJ is better than either of those is insane. RJ's good. Those 2 were greats. Anytime they can take a program like SDSU and threaten/win a few games vs this NDSU in this time where NDSU steam throttles 90% of the teams they play is impressive. They had 2 freaking players NDSU had to worry about and they still are currently on a 2 game losing streak vs SDSU because of them. Meanwhile before those 2, NDSU rattled off 9 effortless wins in a row vs SDSU. Theyre difference makers whether you want to believe me or not.

NDSU doesnt lose to SDSU ever if you replace Wieneke with RJ. How do you not see that?
    I'm not disregarding the talents Goedert and Weineke. They're extremely talented and played in a system that relied on their skills. Had either of those two played at NDSU, their numbers wouldn't be any different than numbers our WRs and TEs get. I also don't know if Goedert would have made the team if rumors about his work ethic is true.

We get extremely talented WRs and TEs, but since they don't put up crazy numbers due to our system, some here tend to disregard their actual skills.

Recognizing the difference of how player stats are determined by such variables of offensive systems and skill sets is far from insanity. I challenge those who disregard R.J.'s actual WR abilities, to go back and rewatch the games he played in. Dude made a lot of crazy grabs, fooled many DBs with his route running ability and was great at downfield blocking.
    Hail the BISON!!!