Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the potential weaknesses of the 2018 team?

Default Re: What are the potential weaknesses of the 2018 team?

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Just out of curiosity since I have a good idea what youll say...Do you think NDSU beats SDSU the last 2 times if RJ is subbed for Weineke?
    Just to be clear: SDSU's "winning streak" against NDSU is one game.

In the 2016 playoff game, Goedert and Weineke accounted for 132 of SDSU's 192 yards. RJ and Shepherd had 152 yards receiving in that game.

In the 2014 playoff game, RJ had 109 yards receiving. Weineke had 29. Goedert had 0 yards.

RJ showed up big in the playoffs.

Im the one that started this whole debate about the scheme not being WR friendly to begin with. Its still weird to me that RJ had a roller coaster of a career at NDSU, stats wise, as conventional wisdom shows that if college stats should get better the older you get. I dont feel like going back and looking at every pass play from to see if RJ separates from his defender or not because I dont care that much.

Just out of curiosity since I have a good idea what youll say...Do you think NDSU beats SDSU the last 2 times if RJ is subbed for Weineke?

Roller coaster career for RJ at NDSU? Wow. Love how everyone goes to the extreme and nonsensical to try and prove their point. RJ and Vraa were both on track to catch over 60 passes in Carson's senior year (RJ's sophomore year / Vraa's senior year) before Carson's injury. Last 2 seasons, NDSU offensive scheme changed considerably from the Carson era. I believe that Carson averaged close to 30 pass attempts in his junior and shortened sr season and I don't believe Easton has exceeded an average of 20 pass attempts in either of his 2 seasons of starting. Less pass attempts, less pass completions, less receptions. Was RJ a very good FCS receiver - Yes. Were Weineke and Goedert great FCS receivers playing in a great system for receivers - Yes. Let's not eat our own to make a point when the facts don't even bear it out.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    RJ had just as much talent as those 2 from SDSU. What most are foolishly leaving out is the height difference. 5'11' is worlds apart from 6'4" and 6'5"...If RJ is even 6'3", we're talking a whole different future for RJ, then add the SDSU offense to boot...
    Are you serious? You’re making an argument about if a guy was 4 inches taller? If RJ was better at football he would have found his way into the league. I’m sure if Tre Dempsey was 7’1” tall he would have had a whole different future on the hardwood. GTFOH.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Just to be clear: SDSU's "winning streak" against NDSU is one game.

In the 2016 playoff game, Goedert and Weineke accounted for 132 of SDSU's 192 yards. RJ and Shepherd had 152 yards receiving in that game.

In the 2014 playoff game, RJ had 109 yards receiving. Weineke had 29. Goedert had 0 yards.

RJ showed up big in the playoffs.
    yea I forget when/where the playoff games took place. In those 2 losses, RJ was nearly non existent.

2016 marker game, the 2 destroyed NDSU(and the score wasnt a real indicator on how outplayed NDSU was after some red zone stalls by SDSU).

2017 marker game got destroyed by Goedert who we knew who to game plan for and still got rocked.

RJ showed up BIG in 2014...

2017: 3/21/0 vs JMU, 2/28/0 vs SHSU, 1/44/0 vs Wofford, 5/55/1 vs San Diego

2016: 2/12/0 vs JMU, 3/47/0 vs SDSU, 4/60/1 vs San Diego

2015: 5/56/0 vs JSU, 1/6/0 vs Richmond, 1/8/0 vs UNI, 1/13/0 vs Montana

2014: 5/100/0 vs Ill St, 2/21/1 vs SHSU, 1/41/0 vs CCU, 4/109/2 vs SDSU

RJ's career playoff averages for 15 games.. 2.6 catches, 41.4 yards, .33 Td's

I mean that screams he can walk on at any P5 program in the country like Christopher Moen said. Those numbers are actually worse than I originally thought...

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    Roller coaster career for RJ at NDSU? Wow. Love how everyone goes to the extreme and nonsensical to try and prove their point. RJ and Vraa were both on track to catch over 60 passes in Carson's senior year (RJ's sophomore year / Vraa's senior year) before Carson's injury. Last 2 seasons, NDSU offensive scheme changed considerably from the Carson era. I believe that Carson averaged close to 30 pass attempts in his junior and shortened sr season and I don't believe Easton has exceeded an average of 20 pass attempts in either of his 2 seasons of starting. Less pass attempts, less pass completions, less receptions. Was RJ a very good FCS receiver - Yes. Were Weineke and Goedert great FCS receivers playing in a great system for receivers - Yes. Let's not eat our own to make a point when the facts don't even bear it out.
    I believe I said that once already, and Im not eating RJ. Im just saying...the 2 at SDSU were true #1 targets. RJ was a nice receiver for this team but his numbers definitely didnt indicate he'd do the same at SDSU in a pass happy offense than what Jake or Dallas did. you can throw all of the excuses at me, but Im probably not going to buy any of them....

and its no slight at RJ...he's just not the best even tho a few here think he is because hes a Bison.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I don't think many NFL caliber prospect wr are going to come block for NDSU and get maybe 6 passes a game.

Just have to sit back and watch NFL caliber talent everywhere else.

Lardsin must go!

I believe I said that once already, and Im not eating RJ. Im just saying...the 2 at SDSU were true #1 targets. RJ was a nice receiver for this team but his numbers definitely didnt indicate he'd do the same at SDSU in a pass happy offense than what Jake or Dallas did. you can throw all of the excuses at me, but Im probably not going to buy any of them....

and its no slight at RJ...he's just not the best even tho a few here think he is because hes a Bison.
    It's called math, not excuses. But every message board needs the Contrarian, so have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    It's called math, not excuses. But every message board needs the Contrarian, so have at it.
    So. you think RJ puts up Wieneke numbers at SDSU?

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Going to try and steer this one back to the 2018 team. As several Bisonviller's have pointed out, areas of concern with the 2017 team are carrying over for them into this season as well. Special Teams and Wide Receivers. Does anyone think with the addition of some new players, that maybe either of those units could become a strength....or at least not stand out as a glaring weakness for the '18 Bison? What are the things specifically that stood out to you that you want to see us get better at.....distance of punts, missed/made FG's, tackling on punt/kick coverage, dropped passes, depth?
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

I believe I said that once already, and Im not eating RJ. Im just saying...the 2 at SDSU were true #1 targets. RJ was a nice receiver for this team but his numbers definitely didnt indicate he'd do the same at SDSU in a pass happy offense than what Jake or Dallas did. you can throw all of the excuses at me, but Im probably not going to buy any of them...

True in the last two years when Christion took charge. Wieneke was always a #1. In his first two years, Goedert totaled 34 catches, 584 yards and 3 touchdowns.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix