Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the potential weaknesses of the 2018 team?

Default Re: What are the potential weaknesses of the 2018 team?

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    So. you think RJ puts up Wieneke numbers at SDSU?
    My last reply on this as the thread has really drifted.

I was only responding to your direct quote that RJ had a roller coaster career - which is factually incorrect. Most would say he was a model of consistency, and in years they threw more, he caught more balls.

In response to your question whether he puts up Wieneke's numbers at SDSU? No I personally don't think he would have matched Jake's numbers.

Jake and Dallas both proved to be excellent FCS receivers, and would have been welcome NDSU additions in hindsight. Both end their careers at SDSU with ZERO national championships.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    Are you serious? You’re making an argument about if a guy was 4 inches taller? If RJ was better at football he would have found his way into the league. I’m sure if Tre Dempsey was 7’1” tall he would have had a whole different future on the hardwood. GTFOH.
    Why don't you start this same thread over at SS? Probably too many to post about.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    My last reply on this as the thread has really drifted.

I was only responding to your direct quote that RJ had a roller coaster career - which is factually incorrect. Most would say he was a model of consistency, and in years they threw more, he caught more balls.

In response to your question whether he puts up Wieneke's numbers at SDSU? No I personally don't think he would have matched Jake's numbers.

Jake and Dallas both proved to be excellent FCS receivers, and would have been welcome NDSU additions in hindsight. Both end their careers at SDSU with ZERO national championships.
    What I mean by roller coaster is that his freshman yr was better than sophomore yr(yea wentz got hurt) and jr yr was better than senior yr with his hs qb throwing to him.

Hes good. No doubt. But to say he can walk on at any p5 program is when I tap the brakes and play "contrarian" role.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    What I mean by roller coaster is that his freshman yr was better than sophomore yr(yea wentz got hurt) and jr yr was better than senior yr with his hs qb throwing to him.

Hes good. No doubt. But to say he can walk on at any p5 program is when I tap the brakes and play "contrarian" role.
    Statistically, the numbers simply do not back up your statement above (again). Check his career stats on the NDSU football site (I just did). Best year by far statistically was his Sophomore year (and most of his production was with Carson that year) next was his Senior year. Doesn't matter who is throwing the ball, if you aren't throwing it much.

Now, from an impact perspective, agree his playoff performance freshman year is what we will all remember him for, we can all agree on that.

Anyway, re: weaknesses fo the 2018 team? I am with most on this thread that biggest weakness is Special Teams - but doubt it will matter anyway. This team is loaded in 2018.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    Statistically, the numbers simply do not back up your statement above (again). Check his career stats on the NDSU football site (I just did). Best year by far statistically was his Sophomore year (and most of his production was with Carson that year) next was his Senior year. Doesn't matter who is throwing the ball, if you aren't throwing it much.

Now, from an impact perspective, agree his playoff performance freshman year is what we will all remember him for, we can all agree on that.

Anyway, re: weaknesses fo the 2018 team? I am with most on this thread that biggest weakness is Special Teams - but doubt it will matter anyway. This team is loaded in 2018.
    Can you elaborate on what it is specifically that you think is weak about our special teams? Just asking for the sake of conversation.

I know when Jackson first started punting for the Bison, he didn't average a very long punt. But I'm pretty sure that year we had something like zero punt return yards against us. The "offsides" by our D end against JMU '16 cost us 5 yards and allowed them to try a FG instead of punting. I remember Ben LeCompte flipping the field often, which is something I rarely see now. He could also pin teams deep by some very well placed punts. I try to avoid comparing any current Bison against former ones, especially the really good ones, but it's hard to avoid some times when we get such high expectations.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what it is specifically that you think is weak about our special teams? Just asking for the sake of conversation.

I know when Jackson first started punting for the Bison, he didn't average a very long punt. But I'm pretty sure that year we had something like zero punt return yards against us. The "offsides" by our D end against JMU '16 cost us 5 yards and allowed them to try a FG instead of punting. I remember Ben LeCompte flipping the field often, which is something I rarely see now. He could also pin teams deep by some very well placed punts. I try to avoid comparing any current Bison against former ones, especially the really good ones, but it's hard to avoid some times when we get such high expectations.
    I guess I should have said if there is a weakness on this team, it could be special teams. Last 2 games against JMU, we were completely outplayed in special teams. Punt return yards, fake punt, missed FG, etc.. We are so good everywhere else, this is the one area we could improve, especially when it comes to playing someone close to our caliber. Which won't be often in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post

There were zero yards in 2016 and 195 last season including one return that went for 54 yards. One thing that surprised me was that Koonce averaged 38.6 yards per punt, and our opponents averaged 38.8. Regardless, we need to do better. One thing that bothered the hell out of me was that Cam was 10 for 16 in field goals last season and four of the six misses were blocked (only one in 2016). I know at least a couple were not his fault, but that has to be unacceptable.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I think this is the difference between our respective programs. That kid is a fucking winner. He wins games.

This isn't the Big Sky, you don't need more than a complimentary WR to win.
    Yep, the guy was clutch and a winner and when the shit hits the fan, winners win. With all that said he was probably an average D1 receiver but willed himself to the status of an all time Bison.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't know if this has been brought up but QB depth. We have Easton but after that the experience is none. Until we see how the #2 QB does I have to think that worries the coaching staff to some extent.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I don't know if this has been brought up but QB depth. We have Easton but after that the experience is none. Until we see how the #2 QB does I have to think that worries the coaching staff to some extent.
    Don't forget about Jimmy football, Mr. Hendricks.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1