Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 New Rules

Default 2018 New Rules

At least one of these was alluded to in the Seth Wilson thread.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...all/698734002/

Transfers:

Transfers may now leave without asking their current school for permission. Under this new “notification-of-transfer” model, student-athletes will have their names entered into a national database, and coaches from other programs can then reach out to gauge interest.
    Redshirting:

[quote Previously, players were given five years to complete four seasons of eligibility – meaning one of those seasons had to be spent without participating in any games, often during a student-athlete’s first year on campus. The same four-in-five timeline exists, only with a catch: Players can now participate in up to four games in a season and still retain that year of eligibility, ...[/quote]

Pretty exciting news for incoming freshmen, I'd think.

Default Re: 2018 New Rules

Hail the BISON!!!

Transfers still must sit out a year unless dropping down a level though correct?

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Transfers still must sit out a year unless dropping down a level though correct?
    Correctamundo.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

The article seems to be saying that the rule still applies.

The transfer rule also doesn’t go far enough: The council should next create a rule allowing qualified student-athletes – those who reach a certain GPA or a more standardized academic benchmark – to transfer without a one-year penalty, as in the case with the existing rule regarding graduate transfers.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

So can colleges openly recruit players from other colleges? For instance, can Alabama tell player x from team y they're interested and would offer a scholly if they transfer? This rule just seems like an easy way for colleges to steal talent from lower teams.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

No surprise, NDSU coaches like the new redshirt rule.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/footba...-freshmen-play

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    So can colleges openly recruit players from other colleges? For instance, can Alabama tell player x from team y they're interested and would offer a scholly if they transfer? This rule just seems like an easy way for colleges to steal talent from lower teams.
    If the player puts themselves in the data base and conferences can create their own rules from what I understand. I know that a player that puts their name on a a list is probably going to be phased out.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Correctamundo.
    I believe there's still a proposal on the table to allow for players to transfer without having to sit out a year if their head coach leaves (unless it's to that outgoing coach's new school) or if their school is placed under NCAA sanctions. I may be wrong that it's still in play for this year but, if I recall correctly, it had picked up a lot of steam this spring.

I think that allowing kids to play up to 4 games during their red shirt year is big. It gives young kids great experience, while allowing upperclassmen to not have to play with some nagging injuries. No longer will a red shirt know that he isn't ever going to play. They could be called upon at any time to step in for someone. It will elevate their motivation to train and be ready. Great rule in my mind.