Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    I think we saw last year that Bruce became a better runner when given more snaps. Very well could be headed to the NFL.

Lance Dunn was on pace to be an all-American.

Ty Brooks might be the most dangerous RB in the FCS.

That is a gigantic three headed monster and no point in taking snaps away from those guys just because Seth also is good. We don’t want to go back to TP days when not a single running back could get into a rhythm. You use Cofield/Purifoy in spells. If one of those guys goes down, all is not lost as we seen before.

Just no point in playing Seth...period.
    Seth proved he can play. Whether he finishes his career 2 or 3 years from now doesn’t affect his being ready for the nfl. If he’s good enough he’ll continue on. If I’m Seth and after being apart of the action last year I wouldn’t want to red shirt again. Practicing for a year with no chance of playing can’t be enjoyable especially when he already went through that for 7-8 games last year.

Don't redshirt Wilson this year, that's stupid. Didn't we have the same group of running backs start the season last year, and Seth still contributed in a major way? Don't we still play in the very physical Missouri Valley Football Conference, where injuries to star players seem to happen annually? This is the same Bison football program that is focused solely on team goals not individual goals, am I correct? Don't we all believe that competition makes you better, so put all of the best guys out there to compete for the starting positions? He's earned the right to be in the mix for a lot of playing time, don't take that away from him by redshirting him this year, let him save that redshirt if he needs it down the road. More importantly, no one on this forum has enough coaching experience to voice a compelling reason for redshirting him this year. Go Bison!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Do we realize that during the SDSU game, we were down to two running backs? Brooks and Seth Wilson. It's not IF injuries will happen, it's when injuries will happen.

Brooks isn't an every down back due to his size so were really just Brooks and Dunn. And Dunn is all about speed so if hes slow in down
    Isn't this a country band?

Maybe this is important- but how good are Cofield and Purifoy? Just by seeing Anderson, dunn, brooks and Seth- I just assume they are waaaay worse, just based on a law of averages. Those four guys are damn talented- how do cofield and purifoy stand up?

I'm not ripping on them- I'm just asking what do we KNOW about them, we've seen so few snaps
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Maybe this is important- but how good are Cofield and Purifoy? Just by seeing Anderson, dunn, brooks and Seth- I just assume they are waaaay worse, just based on a law of averages. Those four guys are damn talented- how do cofield and purifoy stand up?

I'm not ripping on them- I'm just asking what do we KNOW about them, we've seen so few snaps
    We fail to remember Purifoy was highly touted coming in and was the #3 back last year. He had 85 yards on 18 carries and a TD before he tore his knee. He looked good to me.

So if the coaches thought he was way worse than Brooks and Wilson last year, he wouldn’t have started #3 on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    We fail to remember Purifoy was highly touted coming in and was the #3 back last year. He had 85 yards on 18 carries and a TD before he tore his knee. He looked good to me.

So if the coaches thought he was way worse than Brooks and Wilson last year, he wouldn’t have started #3 on the depth chart.
    The depth/talent at running back going into the season is just crazy. Combine them with Easton and what looks to be a pretty stout oline, my o my, the possibilities

It is going to be very interesting how things play out. We legitimately go 6 deep at RB. Not enough touches to go around unless we are decimated by injuries like last year. Hopefully everyone is on the roster come September.

Don't redshirt anyone. Play it out and see who wants to play for the Bison bad enough. It's a great situation to have.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Puetz View Post
    Don't redshirt Wilson this year, that's stupid. Didn't we have the same group of running backs start the season last year, and Seth still contributed in a major way? Don't we still play in the very physical Missouri Valley Football Conference, where injuries to star players seem to happen annually? This is the same Bison football program that is focused solely on team goals not individual goals, am I correct? Don't we all believe that competition makes you better, so put all of the best guys out there to compete for the starting positions? He's earned the right to be in the mix for a lot of playing time, don't take that away from him by redshirting him this year, let him save that redshirt if he needs it down the road. More importantly, no one on this forum has enough coaching experience to voice a compelling reason for redshirting him this year. Go Bison!
    So I'll play devil's advocate here.

I agree that the best thing for the team is to approach fall camp like all 6 RBs (Dunn, Anderson, Brooks, Wilson, Cofield, and Purifoy) will play this year just so you get a good evaulation of them over that month. However, say by the end of fall camp Wilson shows he's slightly better than Cofield and Purifoy and would be #4 on the depth chart. Are you willing to trade the ~80 touches he'd get as RB4 in 2018 (he got 80 touches last year and Brooks got 79 so I think that's a fairly good estimate) for the ~200 tpuches he'd get as RB1 or RB2 as a 5th year senior in 2021? The running narrative in this thread is he'd want to redshirt only to improve his personal position to go pro but I'd argue that redshirting him helps the team as well in that it gives them an experienced RB to utilize in 3 years for presumably his best year of football sacrificing a year that he wouldn't be a major contributor.

This all depends on how the camp battle plays out but if it plays out like I mentioned above is it really worth it to not redshirt a guy for a slight bump of an ancillary RB4 role in 2018 at the expense the year he would presumably be a primary contributor in 2021? It's a tough question that requires a lot of guesswork but my point is there's more to it than just him looking out for his own draft stock. Keep in mind that unless Saybein Clark or DJ Stewart don't redshirt (which seems unlikely given the depth at the position) there will be no freshman RB playing this year so if Wilson does redshirt he would be the only RB on track to be a senior in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Don't redshirt anyone. Play it out and see who wants to play for the Bison bad enough. It's a great situation to have.
    Its not a case of who wants to play bad enough as opposed to whose the best ready to play.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."