Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    What’s happening is the muscles are being strained and strengthened, but ligaments aren’t getting the same “load”. Basic lifting won’t put under stress ligaments and resultantly blood supply. That’s what needs to change a bit in IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think it's something we can change, just anatomy

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    The massive increase in ACL tears in all sports compared to the 80's and 90's is quite unbelievable. Back in the 80's it was called a trick knee and you were almost basically done. Glenn Mason discussed this on KFAN a while back and how few ACL tears he saw as a coach and now it is happening so frequently. Everybody thought if we got rid of the original astroturf these would decrease, but the trend is the complete opposite. This increase is coinciding with baseball's Tommy John, so obviously it has to do with the joints cannot sustain the current workouts.
    IMO it’s a mix of too much specialization, lack of lengthy off season recovery time, and general increase in weight and speed but not ligament strength. The off season used to really be an off season, now it’s dedicated to training harder and harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    They’re starting to use cadaver Achilles to replace torn ACLs. Pretty interesting since the Achilles is obviously way thicker and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Its just like putting 5k pounds on a 2500 pound rated axle. Somethings going to give.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    They’re starting to use cadaver Achilles to replace torn ACLs. Pretty interesting since the Achilles is obviously way thicker and stronger.
    They definitely are not doing this in athletes but okay

Quote Originally Posted by 130Bison View Post
    Look it up hot shot.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Doesn't matter if they use rhino tendon. It stretches well slowly, not quickly when tons of force is applied. Bigger faster people apply more force with dynamic movements ie cuts. I know if no way and no research that shows changing this. Connective tissue is what it is.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The patient is usually given the choice between an autograft using their own parts (patellar tendon or hamstring tendon) or using a cadaver graft. At least that was the option I was given when I had my ACL repaired. I elected to use my own parts.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Default Redshirt Seth Wilson?

Look it up hot shot.
    Maybe on non-athletes this is what they are using. Allografts (tissue from a cadaver) have way higher re-tear rates no matter what tendon it came from. Because of this, a high percentage of athletes and their surgeons choose to use an autograft (tissue from the athlete). Most choose a BPTB (bone-patellar tendon-bone) graft. They choose this because the bone plugs on each end of the graft anchor in much more securely and heal better. A common secondary option is a hamstring graft. But what do I know, I have only studied athletic training for 4 years, hot shot.

Maybe on non-athletes this is what they are using. Allografts (tissue from a cadaver) have way higher re-tear rates no matter what tendon it came from. Because of this, a high percentage of athletes and their surgeons choose to use an autograft (tissue from the athlete). Most choose a BPTB (bone-patellar tendon-bone) graft. They choose this because the bone plugs on each end of the graft anchor in much more securely and heal better. A common secondary option is a hamstring graft. But what do I know, I have only studied athletic training for 4 years, hot shot.
    What's your feeling on exercises like yoga in regards to helping prevent ligament injuries like an ACL tear?
    Hail the BISON!!!