Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

Default Redshirt Seth Wilson?

It's time to ask the question, should we redshirt Seth Wilson? He's got 2 work horses in front of him, plus we can also use Brooks and Cofield. Why trade 15-16 carries/game down the road for 5-6 this season.

Default Re: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

My first inclination: Yes. If depth becomes a concern late in the year, we can always pull it. We should have Purifoy back as well, so who knows what he can contribute. I do think Wilson is going to be a star here though.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather play the kid if he's ready to contribute and save a RS for an injury. Chances are he will be needed at some point. I suppose they can play it by ear and if they don't use him early decide to RS him.

I was listening to the Insiders a few weeks back when they had Klieman on and Culhane asked him about potentially redshirting Wilson and Klieman gave no indication that they plan to do that. He mentioned how it's nice to have that redshirt year available in case of injury later in a player's career like they were able to do with Deluca and Menard (who both played as true frosh).

Of course Culhane didn't push him anymore after that but I would wonder why they try to redshirt everyone they can then. I'd assume there's more to the reason why they wouldn't redshirt Wilson than just insurance against a potential future injury. Maybe he's just better than guys like Purifoy or Cofield. Klieman did mention in that same interview that if you're in the top 5 of the RB rotation you can expect to get some carries with the offense they run.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

To some degree I'd assume it's up to the player. If I was Seth and was able to contribute the way he did I'd rather play than sit out another year to redshirt. He'll still get playing time... all the RB's will whether it's special teams or playing when games are out of hand. Plus, as others have mentioned you can't just assume that redshirt wouldn't be needed down the road.

I heard rumblings that Dmitri Williams was making the switch to rb and he has a redshirt available as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wisco4 View Post
    I heard rumblings that Dmitri Williams was making the switch to rb and he has a redshirt available as well.
    Intetesting. But that seems hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by wisco4 View Post
    What I've heard from what Coach K has said is that he's been taking a few snaps at RB to get him involved in more plays, but I don't think you're going to see him switch positions. Just another opportunity to get the ball in a playmakers hands.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    What I've heard from what Coach K has said is that he's been taking a few snaps at RB to get him involved in more plays, but I don't think you're going to see him switch positions. Just another opportunity to get the ball in a playmakers hands.
    I could see him as one of the backs in the delta formation. He's a terrific blocker for his stature so he'd be a threat to carry the ball as well as a good blocker for Dunn, Bruce, or Easton.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I guess it depends on what the definition of a position switch is.