Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

Default Re: Redshirt Seth Wilson?

If Purifoy and/or Cofield get beat out I would be surprised if they decided to hang around.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    If Purifoy and/or Cofield get beat out I would be surprised if they decided to hang around.
    It would surprise me if they dont. Bruce and Lance are both seniors so its wide open next year. Purifoy , you have to wonder about the knee.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    So I'll play devil's advocate here.

I agree that the best thing for the team is to approach fall camp like all 6 RBs (Dunn, Anderson, Brooks, Wilson, Cofield, and Purifoy) will play this year just so you get a good evaulation of them over that month. However, say by the end of fall camp Wilson shows he's slightly better than Cofield and Purifoy and would be #4 on the depth chart. Are you willing to trade the ~80 touches he'd get as RB4 in 2018 (he got 80 touches last year and Brooks got 79 so I think that's a fairly good estimate) for the ~200 tpuches he'd get as RB1 or RB2 as a 5th year senior in 2021? The running narrative in this thread is he'd want to redshirt only to improve his personal position to go pro but I'd argue that redshirting him helps the team as well in that it gives them an experienced RB to utilize in 3 years for presumably his best year of football sacrificing a year that he wouldn't be a major contributor.

This all depends on how the camp battle plays out but if it plays out like I mentioned above is it really worth it to not redshirt a guy for a slight bump of an ancillary RB4 role in 2018 at the expense the year he would presumably be a primary contributor in 2021? It's a tough question that requires a lot of guesswork but my point is there's more to it than just him looking out for his own draft stock. Keep in mind that unless Saybein Clark or DJ Stewart don't redshirt (which seems unlikely given the depth at the position) there will be no freshman RB playing this year so if Wilson does redshirt he would be the only RB on track to be a senior in 2021.
    I think you put the team on the field that has the best chance of winning. We will always have good running backs. Seth is more than just a running back too. The dude is the best receiver out of the group. I have a gut feeling Purifoy is going to take a while to get back to 100%. Were talking a running back here and not everyone heals like Adrian Peterson. As far as long term goes, were in great shape. We got Bruce and Dunn graduating. Then 2019 we got Brooks (sr) Purifoy (sr) Wilson (jr) and Cofield (jr) plus Clark who will be a redshirt freshman. With our super long seasons, you need fresh bodies. And I think DJ Stewart is playing defense

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think you put the team on the field that has the best chance of winning. We will always have good running backs. Seth is more than just a running back too. The dude is the best receiver out of the group. I have a gut feeling Purifoy is going to take a while to get back to 100%. Were talking a running back here and not everyone heals like Adrian Peterson. As far as long term goes, were in great shape. We got Bruce and Dunn graduating. Then 2019 we got Brooks (sr) Purifoy (sr) Wilson (jr) and Cofield (jr) plus Clark who will be a redshirt freshman. With our super long seasons, you need fresh bodies. And I think DJ Stewart is playing defense
    I agree and think this is one of the biggest reasons they would want him on the field. All these backs have different skill sets. Seth is a great receiver. Brooks and Purifoy look breakable. Real long frames for a RB in the Valley. I, personally would never have either of them a true rb1. They are change of pace guys with wilson and cofield every down guys for the future. just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It would surprise me if they dont. Bruce and Lance are both seniors so its wide open next year. Purifoy , you have to wonder about the knee.
    Maybe they would hang around but if they can play and don't it would require them to have enough patience to wait.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    Maybe they would hang around but if they can play and don't it would require them to have enough patience to wait.
    We have guys every year at every position that are being patient and waiting for their chance. Often guys that could start at other programs. I wouldn’t expect anyone to leave. The default expectation is to stay and compete. If anyone leaves for more playing time elsewhere, best of luck to them. But we’ve always had more guys that will grind it out then will transfer out.

Give him a chance to compete! Don't care if he beats out a upperclass man, so be it! Best person on the field! Should make special teams that much better

Quote Originally Posted by bison_by_blood View Post
    We have guys every year at every position that are being patient and waiting for their chance. Often guys that could start at other programs. I wouldn’t expect anyone to leave. The default expectation is to stay and compete. If anyone leaves for more playing time elsewhere, best of luck to them. But we’ve always had more guys that will grind it out then will transfer out.
    I am well aware of what the pattern for a lot of players has been. I could very well be wrong and it is just a feeling that something has to give.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Bison53 View Post
    Give him a chance to compete! Don't care if he beats out a upperclass man, so be it! Best person on the field! Should make special teams that much better
    Bruce, Dunn and Ty have been proven to be more than capable of winning a championship.

I would say barring any major injury, Seth won’t provide an extra edge this year, but he might be that guy we need 3 years from now.

It'll be interesting to see if the new redshirt rule passes in June and what that does to everyone's opinion...
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)