Thread: WrestleStat has transitioned to 2019

Default WrestleStat has transitioned to 2019

Hey WrestleStat fans!

The website has been transitioned to the 2019 season. Go ahead and start updating starters to who they are projected to be for the upcoming season.

Couple things to note:

PreSeason rankings are NOT just the 2018 end of season rankings, less seniors. Since the algorithm has been updated, ALL rankings for every season have been run through the new algorithm, but ONLY the 2019 preseason values were updated. The reason for that is two-fold:
    1) Since those other seasons are done, it doesn't make sense to go back and change them, and
    2) It would take upwards of almost 8 hours of processing to run through the 100 weeks (5 seasons X ~20 weeks per season) of rankings that would need to be done in the production database

There are no enhancements that come with this release. I'm working on MASSIVE changes to the website, but that code is not ready to be deployed. There are major look-and-feel/theme changes where I have to update every single page on the site, as well as architectural changes like making a schools conference season-specific since we have schools adding/dropping programs or changing conferences on a yearly basis, so it's going to take probably the entire summer.

Now's the best time to get any requests in for modifications/enhancements to the site that aren't already known. Sometime in the future I'll develop a page that will show exactly what I'm working on so it's more transparent...but in the meantime, just send me or obrats a message and will get it added if it's not already on the list. Some examples of changes: "can the site open the videos of matches directly in the site, instead of navigating over to YouTube.com", or "use a voting system for the upcoming, potential feature matches instead of just a yes/no toggle", or "add a chat feature to the dual comparison and box score pages for comments about a specific dual or tournament".

Lastly, if there are any schools that have added or dropped wrestling, or wrestlers that have transferred that aren't reflected on the site yet, please either reply, or send a message to myself or obrats and we can get those changes made.

That's all for now!

https://www.wrestlestat.com

Default Re: WrestleStat has transitioned to 2019

Thanks for all the work Andegre. Really enjoy the site.

Couple really wonky NDSU rankings stick out. Fleetwood and Bianchi both dropped 10 spots, despite both being likely top 20-30 guys next year.

August Pieplinksi at 197 is another weird one. He is #39 at 197...despite being 2-4 in 2 years. His best "win" is a DQ against Nate Rotert when Rotert punched him. Seems like he isn't alone in guys being ranked highly despite no resume for it.

One other note...Lorenzo De La Riva is listed as our starter at 165...did I miss something there? He was the CSUB starter, in and out of top 20 rankings last year, and is a former NCAA qualifier. Hadn't heard a peep about him transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Thanks for all the work Andegre. Really enjoy the site.

Couple really wonky NDSU rankings stick out. Fleetwood and Bianchi both dropped 10 spots, despite both being likely top 20-30 guys next year.

August Pieplinksi at 197 is another weird one. He is #39 at 197...despite being 2-4 in 2 years. His best "win" is a DQ against Nate Rotert when Rotert punched him. Seems like he isn't alone in guys being ranked highly despite no resume for it.

One other note...Lorenzo De La Riva is listed as our starter at 165...did I miss something there? He was the CSUB starter, in and out of top 20 rankings last year, and is a former NCAA qualifier. Hadn't heard a peep about him transferring.
    Someone on the HawkeyeReport board said DeLaRiva to NDSU....If you guys have never heard of this transfer, I'll go ahead and move him back.

Yes, there are some rankings that are not making sense, especially the one that you noted (I've been shown a couple more examples from other boards). I'll forward those to my algorithm guy to check out. Thanks for pointing them out, it DOES help.

Quote Originally Posted by andegre View Post
    Someone on the HawkeyeReport board said DeLaRiva to NDSU....If you guys have never heard of this transfer, I'll go ahead and move him back.

Yes, there are some rankings that are not making sense, especially the one that you noted (I've been shown a couple more examples from other boards). I'll forward those to my algorithm guy to check out. Thanks for pointing them out, it DOES help.
    I believe that is speculation made by someone maybe because Bakersfield's head coach, Manny Rivera (great dude), use to coach at NDSU. Looking at Lorenzo De La Riva's Twitter account https://twitter.com/lorenzodelariv1?lang=en), nothing there shows me anything that suggests he is leaving CSU-B.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe that is speculation made by someone maybe because Bakersfield's head coach, Manny Rivera (great dude), use to coach at NDSU. Looking at Lorenzo De La Riva's Twitter account https://twitter.com/lorenzodelariv1?lang=en), nothing there shows me anything that suggests he is leaving CSU-B.
    Thank you [for doing my legwork]. He's been moved back to CSU-B.

533 In a row

I actually love the fit. I think Fogarty stays at 165, even though he would do fine at 174. I just don't think Fogarty's frame has a ton of room for 10 more pounds of muscle.

De La Riva should be able to step into 174 and significantly upgrade the production we've gotten from that spot. Shearer can try to bulk and either compete for 184 or challenge De La Riva at 174.

Including no probable redshirts, and getting the 10 best guys in the lineup, could see something like:
    125- Bianchi. Borderline top 20.
    133- Fleetwood. Borderline top 20.
    141- Sykora. Borderline top 20.
    149- Van Maanen. Having a great summer of results thus far.
    157- Mergen. Probably the weakest spot, but he has battled some tough guys to close results.
    165- Fogarty. Top 10-15
    174- De La Riva. Borderline top 20.
    184- McNutt. Senior, who can win 20 matches if healthy.
    197- Eaton. Can win 20 matches
    HWT- Metz. Likely top 20 guy.

Stibral could still factor into HWT and be a possible NCAA qualifier, Shearer could factor into 174/184, could see Otomo factor into 184, could see Sutton factor into 141/149 and Van Maanen at 157. If Knutson can make 157 and keep a gas tank, I think he'd be the starter. Not sure if they'll be able to fit Bianchi, Fleetwood, and Sykora into the lineup, but having all three in the lineup gets us the best guys on the mat. If Sykora stays at 133, I see Bianchi being a backup for one year and Sutton, Nico, and Degen fighting for 141.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I actually love the fit. I think Fogarty stays at 165, even though he would do fine at 174. I just don't think Fogarty's frame has a ton of room for 10 more pounds of muscle.

De La Riva should be able to step into 174 and significantly upgrade the production we've gotten from that spot. Shearer can try to bulk and either compete for 184 or challenge De La Riva at 174.

Including no probable redshirts, and getting the 10 best guys in the lineup, could see something like:
    125- Bianchi. Borderline top 20.
    133- Fleetwood. Borderline top 20.
    141- Sykora. Borderline top 20.
    149- Van Maanen. Having a great summer of results thus far.
    157- Mergen. Probably the weakest spot, but he has battled some tough guys to close results.
    165- Fogarty. Top 10-15
    174- De La Riva. Borderline top 20.
    184- McNutt. Senior, who can win 20 matches if healthy.
    197- Eaton. Can win 20 matches
    HWT- Metz. Likely top 20 guy.

Stibral could still factor into HWT and be a possible NCAA qualifier, Shearer could factor into 174/184, could see Otomo factor into 184, could see Sutton factor into 141/149 and Van Maanen at 157. If Knutson can make 157 and keep a gas tank, I think he'd be the starter. Not sure if they'll be able to fit Bianchi, Fleetwood, and Sykora into the lineup, but having all three in the lineup gets us the best guys on the mat. If Sykora stays at 133, I see Bianchi being a backup for one year and Sutton, Nico, and Degen fighting for 141.
    I see Fleetwood and Metz as likely All-Americans next year. Both had tremendous U.S. Open results.

For Metz, I would like to see the big guy develop his legs and backside this Summer as this will help increase his power (in other words, I would like to see him built more like Dremiel Byers and less like a younger Rulon Gardner). He's fearless and aggressive and I would like to see those aspects benefit him more than it causes him harm (tossing big guys isn't easy nor safe and the main reason for my concussions).
    Hail the BISON!!!

I see wrestlestat has a few more unfamiliar names listed for NDSU, but I think they are actually from NDSCS.

Menge, Dylan
    Lee, Tracer
    Meyer, Logan