Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Brent Vigen, QB whisperer

Default Re: Brent Vigen, QB whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    His name hasn’t ever been even mentioned in passing for an FBS position—gotta be a reason for that.
    You'd know much better than I would. Not being snarky. I don't know enough about how things work in that world. I do know that Brent is a genuinely nice guy and has a decent pedigree of coaching. But all the nuances of whether his success can be more attributed to "luck" or genius or something in between... I'm not qualified to answer.

My guess is that as long as Wyoming continues to be relatively successful with Bohl at the helm and Vigen as OC, then he'll have a future opportunity to advance his career. Whether that is as Wyoming HC after Bohl, or he gets a better FBS offer somewhere or he vies for HC of the Bison after Klieman, I couldn't say. But I'd be more surprised if he doesn't advance his career than if he does.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post
    When I posted this, I didn't expect this much Vigen support. I have viewed Bville for many years b4 joining. I remember lots of bitching about him. A LOT.
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder...
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    You'd know much better than I would. Not being snarky. I don't know enough about how things work in that world. I do know that Brent is a genuinely nice guy and has a decent pedigree of coaching. But all the nuances of whether his success can be more attributed to "luck" or genius or something in between... I'm not qualified to answer.

My guess is that as long as Wyoming continues to be relatively successful with Bohl at the helm and Vigen as OC, then he'll have a future opportunity to advance his career. Whether that is as Wyoming HC after Bohl, or he gets a better FBS offer somewhere or he vies for HC of the Bison after Klieman, I couldn't say. But I'd be more surprised if he doesn't advance his career than if he does.
    Less qualified guys have made it much further... Brewster

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    As much as I appreciate what Brent did for NDSU, Randy Hedberg FTW.
    This

Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post

My feeling is, like any human, different OC's have different strengths. Example, Brent certainly didn't seem to throw out nearly as many innovations with formations, motions, etc as what we see now (and in his defense some of this is the evolution of the game). On the other hand, what do you think Brent would have done when we were gashing JMU with power in the second half? Stall the drive by getting cute with read option? No, he would have kept running power, and if he got a second and short, he would have of unleashed play action as they were realing (which is what we should have done).

I just think the hyper critical ripping of OC's goes WAY over the top here. Brent did a good job and improved as an OC over time. My still favorite story is when Tim P started trying to get him not to run QB power in the Georgia Southern semi final, Brent lost his temper and still ran it. And the legend of Brock Jensen began......
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 04-25-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I feeling is, like any human, different OC's have different strengths. Example, Brent certainly didn't seem to throw out nearly as many innovations with formations, motions, etc as what we see now (and in his defense some of this is the evolution of the game). On the other hand, what do you think Brent would have done when we were gashing JMU with power in the second half? Stall the drive by getting cute with read option? No, he would have kept running power, and if he got a second and short, he would have of unleashed play action as they were realing (which is what we should have done).

I just think the hyper critical ripping of OC's goes WAY over the top here. Brent did a good job and improved as an OC over time. My still favorite story is when Tim P started trying to get him not to run QB power in the Georgia Southern semi final, Brent lost his temper and still ran it. And the legend of Brock Jensen began......

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Isn't Brent the one that got our defense whispering about how good of a scout team QB we had?

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    Pretty much what I was thinking.
    Again, one of Brent's finest moments as an OC, was when facing a similar situation with time running down and the game on the line against K St., he runs a different variant of QB power again likely knowing everyone on the K St defense had to be playing for exactly that.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Brent did a good job of switching things up the years he played SDSU twice and won both games.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Please tell me this is a joke or that you may have some form of facts to back this up. Our offense was is and has been amazing. As much as our defense is basically the best ever, our offense has been terrific. Yards per play, points per game, controlling time of possession, etc. I couldn't be much happier. Mess has been awesome. We are LOADED on offense.
    I agree for the most part, HOWEVER... the 2nd half against JMU in the Natty game is a strong counterpoint when the Bison scored NO points.
    The Bison defense won that game. The offense did just enough to win, aided by a TD when a JMU defensive player missed his assignment which was the difference in the game. When the Bison needed to grind out or get creative and move the ball and score some points, they couldn't get it done. Give some credit to JMU's defense.