Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Brent Vigen, QB whisperer

Default Re: Brent Vigen, QB whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Someone said it earlier, but Vigen’s best work? The forged steel of Brock Jensen. That’s a pretty good legacy. The story should have included Jensen.
    Yeah, that would make much more senses since Brock actually played under Bohl's watch (unlike Carson). And Brock was pretty rough his freshman year and improved a ton.

As an OC, Vigen put together some beauties in the playoffs.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's a story about a ND guy and his connection to two highly drafted or soon to be drafted QB's. Vigen isn't making the claim he's the "QB Whisperer". He has something to do with their success. More than likely they'd have the same success with any other coach.

Don Morton and Jim Wacker literally wrote the book on the veer offense titled The Explosive Veer Offense for Winning Football.

https://www.amazon.com/Explosive-Vee.../dp/0132980185

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    I think he would be a great candidate, however, we have built our dynasties on defense, therefore, I would like to see a defense guy take the helm. Not to say Brent wouldn't be a welcomed addition. We have really lost our offensive identity since he left, would be nice to see it restored.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Please tell me this is a joke or that you may have some form of facts to back this up. Our offense was is and has been amazing. As much as our defense is basically the best ever, our offense has been terrific. Yards per play, points per game, controlling time of possession, etc. I couldn't be much happier. Mess has been awesome. We are LOADED on offense.

Never said Mess was bad, nor did I say our offense was bad. I was referring to what seems to be more zone read option vs. power football. It seems we run much more read/option than ever before and, to me, it seems like it leads to quite a few 3rd and long situations. In the 1st half of the championship game we hardly ran any power, it was all read/option. The second half we come out and ran more power and we started to gain huge chunks of yardage, but then would go back to read/option and the drives would stall out. It seemed to me that we could have broke the game loose if we would have consistently stayed with power football. In the second half, we had the boot on their throat and then would continue to let up, however, it could just be my perception as I have never actually broke down the game film and compared power run plays vs. read/option.

Like I said, I wasn't complaining about Mess, just pointing out a difference between Vigen and himself. Again, this could all just be my perception, when in reality, not much at all has changed. In the end, it really doesn't matter as the end result has still been the same and I am not complaining about domination the MVFC and continually winning national championships. As the old saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Just something to discuss in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Don Morton and Jim Wacker literally wrote the book on the veer offense titled The Explosive Veer Offense for Winning Football.

https://www.amazon.com/Explosive-Vee.../dp/0132980185
    Ha Ha, yeah I was in the stands as a student during those years and we did indeed have great offenses, however, I don't remember any track meets at dacotah field. I guess what I really remember is some nasty, kick ass defenses that just swarmed over the opposition. They were relentless, and the great defense is what I really remember as a student back in the eighty's.

Those were truly some all around great teams we had back then. Just like what we have going on right now.

Never said Mess was bad, nor did I say our offense was bad. I was referring to what seems to be more zone read option vs. power football. It seems we run much more read/option than ever before and, to me, it seems like it leads to quite a few 3rd and long situations. In the 1st half of the championship game we hardly ran any power, it was all read/option. The second half we come out and ran more power and we started to gain huge chunks of yardage, but then would go back to read/option and the drives would stall out. It seemed to me that we could have broke the game loose if we would have consistently stayed with power football. In the second half, we had the boot on their throat and then would continue to let up, however, it could just be my perception as I have never actually broke down the game film and compared power run plays vs. read/option.

Like I said, I wasn't complaining about Mess, just pointing out a difference between Vigen and himself. Again, this could all just be my perception, when in reality, not much at all has changed. In the end, it really doesn't matter as the end result has still been the same and I am not complaining about domination the MVFC and continually winning national championships. As the old saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Just something to discuss in the off season.
    If you go back to the SF lost to JMU, their defense was designed to stop NDSU’s power-run. They were so overly committed to it that they gave up big plays pretty much every time the Bison threw in a change of direction play. Why NDSU didn’t continue to exploit this during that game is a big mystery to me. Especially after Grimsley’s interception.

As far as the rematch in the Championship Game, keep in mind that the Bison scored all of their points in the first half. So the scheme change can’t be considered less successful than the shift back to their power-run scheme in the second half.

As successful as the Bison have been with the power-run game, it cannot be the only scheme they play. Otherwise, other teams will figure out how to beat you. The SF lost was proof of that and signs of the difficulty could be detected as early as the opening game that season versus Charleston Southern - maybe even earlier.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ha Ha, yeah I was in the stands as a student during those years and we did indeed have great offenses, however, I don't remember any track meets at dacotah field. I guess what I really remember is some nasty, kick ass defenses that just swarmed over the opposition. They were relentless, and the great defense is what I really remember as a student back in the eighty's.

Those were truly some all around great teams we had back then. Just like what we have going on right now.
    LGIG I am with you. The veer was the way to control the clock and let those nasty defenses do what they do.

When I posted this, I didn't expect this much Vigen support. I have viewed Bville for many years b4 joining. I remember lots of bitching about him. A LOT.

I don't get it either.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    It's a story about a ND guy and his connection to two highly drafted or soon to be drafted QB's. Vigen isn't making the claim he's the "QB Whisperer". He has something to do with their success. More than likely they'd have the same success with any other coach.
    good to point out that Vigen didn’t write this piece or make this claim. It is a fact that he coached both of them. Dom got what he wanted from this article though
    Last edited by perthbison; 04-24-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Addition