Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 US Open

Default Re: 2018 US Open

Brandon Metz wins a convincing 8-1 match, and NDSU/Bison Wrestling Club advances 3 to the Junior Freestyle Semi Finals (Bianchi, Van Maanen, & Metz)

Otomo, Midkiff, Degen, Sutton, Knutson, and Franek all still alive too.

Shearer was just eliminated by an Oklahoma State redshirt.

Gavin Sutton just knocked off NCAA qualifier Grant Willits of Oregon State.

I didn't think he had would be a factor at 149 next year, but he's performing really well out in Vegas.

This group of redshirts are putting on a show and getting some realllllllllllly impressive wins.

Zillmer houses Francois to reach the finals!

Will face World and Olympic Bronze Medalist, J’den Cox, for the title.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I am impressed with the young bison wrestlers during this tournament and hopefully this transforms to folkstyle for them. Franek and others have wrestled a lot of matches today in consolations. Bianchi, Van Mannen and Metz making the semi's is very big.

Big story for me after day 1 is the 3 semi finalists. I don't think anyone realistically expected that to happen.

Biggest surprises for me: Brent Fleetwood and Gavin Sutton's performances. Sutton in particular is surprising. He had an ok redshirt year and lost to some non-D1 types, but has had a great run in Vegas. That win over Willits is really impressive. Willitts was an NCAA qualifier at 157. Fleetwood, I didn't think he'd place, and now he has a legit path to top 6. He will have Skyler Petry, who has also looked really good and will be Minnesota's starting 125 next year.

Metz can win the whole thing, although I would say he is at least a slight underdog in each match.

Bianchi will have Heinselman, who is likely to be a multi time AA for Ohio State and has made multiple age level world teams. Kid is great at freestyle, but Paul will have a size advantage.

Van Maanen beating Verkleeren might be the most shocking result of the day. Verkleeren is a freaking World Champion. Next he'll have Verkleeren's Penn State teammate, Brady Berge who is one of the best high school wrestlers in the history of Minnesota. Jaden will be a huge underdog, but who knows.

HUGE win for Metz!!!

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Boy did Metz fold in the finals. Let himself get put in position to be pushed out and then kept trying his throw at the edge of the mat and got smoked. Very poor decisions, stumbling around and tired. He seems to lose in weird ways in finals a lot. Still second is very good but.

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    Boy did Metz fold in the finals. Let himself get put in position to be pushed out and then kept trying his throw at the edge of the mat and got smoked. Very poor decisions, stumbling around and tired. He seems to lose in weird ways in finals a lot. Still second is very good but.
    I think having the match won by technical superiority and then reversed after the challenge took him emotionally out of the match.

Did not like that his failed throws gave Gremmel four points three times. At least of those two should have been only two points since Gremmel scores them defensively.

Hail the BISON!!!

Harley cowboy you don’t know shit about wrestling, losing in the finals in weird ways Brandon has more talent in his finger nail clipping than anyone you fuckin know he’s been in Vegas since wed busting his ass. both styles you clown ass.You attack my son on here with your cartoon nickname come to 21 9th street east. West fargo and see if you want a pc.of me maybe I will lose in a weird way all the other keyboard commandos That want to be brave try me.

The youngsters acquitted themselves quite well.

Bianchi had some really impressive wins. Beating Gavin Teasdale is probably the most notable among them (#20 overall recruit in 2018). Also beat NCAA qualifier Gage Curry handily.

Degen beating Rylee Molitor is a good sign of growth. Hopefully he can put on some weight and challenge for 141.

Midkiff looked really solid, going 6-2. He too beat Molitor, who may start for SDSU this next year. Mejia was another blue chipper that he knocked off.

Sutton went 4-2 and knocked off NCAA qualifier Grant Willitts. 65 kilos is just over 143 pounds, so maybe Sutton can factor into the 141 mix. If not, 149 is pretty wide open too.

Van Maanen had a really impressive showing, taking 6th. He beat both Mason Phillips and Jared Verkleeren. All his losses were to legitimate studs. Phillips is Intermat's #52 recruit in the the 2018 class. Best thing was he lit up the scoreboard all tournament long regardless of his opponent. Van Maanen was at 70 kilos, which is just over 154 pounds. A lot of the guys he faced are 149 pound guys in the college season, and my hope is that is where Van Maanen stays long term too. If he can, then Franek can be the guy at 157.

Franek didn't have a bad performance by any means, and went 5-2. He lost to the champ and to AJ Jaffe who has been right on the bubble for qualifying for the NCAA tournament the last two years.

Knutson went 4-2 and nearly placed as well. He doesn't look like he has a path to the starting lineup, unless he can cut down to 157 or bulk up and compete for 174. He wrestled 74 kilos, which is just over 163 lbs, so perhaps he could make 157 and challenge Mergen next year.

Shearer didn't have a great day, but one of his losses was to the champ (who is also a cadet World Champ). He went 2-2 and still holds plenty of promise.

Otomo went 2-2, scored a bunch of points, and had some impressive results. Beating Florell was nice and he also fell to Hoffman by 1. Hoffman is the #11 recruit in the country according to Intermat. He may factor into the 184 mix.

Metz taking 2nd was impressive. I thought Nevills was a slight favorite over him and Metz was able to get the win. Although he didn't get the win in the championship, he'll be able to make some noise and push for the world team spot.

Fleetwood taking 6th in seniors was impressive. He picked up 5 wins, including one over solid veteran Daniel Deshazier and probable Minnesota starter Skyler Petry. His losses were to 4x AA Zach Sanders, NCAA Champ Darian Cruz, and AA David Terao.

Zillmer lost to world and Olympic Bronze medalist J'Den Cox by 2. With Nick Heflin injured, I think they meet again in the bets of 3 finals to qualify for the world championships. I'm curious to see what happens with his Greco pursuits.

Rodriguez was clearly one of the top 8 at 57, but ran into a bad draw. He beat AA Richards and lost a 2-1 match to the champ. Then in wrestlebacks, lost to Perrelli who is an international veteran and took 4th.