Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
Second best throw, per tfrrs.org, is almost two feet less than the Otter's 68-7 (20.9 meters). Second best is 66'-11.5" (20.41 meters). That is a huge difference.

Does he have a legit shot? Absolutely. I don't think three is any question on talent, ability to throw. There is a mental component once one gets into the National Meet, people can be intimidated and therefore underperform, get nervous, etc. And there is the issue of whether someone is on that day, people have off days. If Payton get the mental part down - goes to the NCAAs knowing he can win, then he likely will.
Freshman Kari Wolfe (Javelin) - threw 170' during the season. Threw 138' at NCAA west regional yesterday. Everyone was off their personal bests yesterday to some degree, but this was more than the usual. It could be that Kari got sick, got food poisoning, and so on. But if not those things, then I would guess she just had an off day or the mental pressure (wanting to do well, but not having the confidence yet, not really believing she could do it) weighed on her. She is young, she'll be back and get mentally tougher. I think people tend to underestimate how much the mental has to do with performing well in these bigger meets. Let's see how Payton does. He is a senior and he was there last year, and had Renner as a teammate, so likely learned from him.