Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Payton Otterdahl

Default Re: Payton Otterdahl

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Despite finishing 2nd to Crouser, it has to have been a great experience for Payton to be in the final flight with him.

Gives him a taste of the real elite athletes that he will be rubbing shoulders with after his college career.
    Izzy, did you see this?

https://www.inforum.com/sports/track...nd-field-world

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Crouser wins the shot put with a ridiculous throw of 74' 7 1/4".

Payton finished 2nd with his first ever 70'+ outdoor throw. (70' 1 /2").

This, of course, is a new NDSU Outdoor record as well.

Alex Talley was 10th: 62' 2 1/2".

Kristofer Thomsen finished 13th: 61' 9 3/4".

Michael Keogan 16th: 60' 4".

I'd be willing to bet that no other school has ever had 4 athletes throw the shot over 60 feet in a single event.
    Holy Crouser is insane. Good enough for the 6th best throw ever, missing 5th by a quarter inch.

Payton's throw would have won the NCAA Championship:
    2018 - 67 7.5
    2017 - 69 10.75
    2016 - 67 11.5
    2015 - 68 2
    2014 - 69 3.5 (Crouser)
    2013 - 66 7.5 (Crouser)
    2012 - 66 11.5
    And so on...

Even cooler he would have been 4th at the Rio Olympics, bronze in the London games, and silver at the Beijing games. Pretty awesome to see that kind of talent for us.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Yeah.....I was surprised to see that.

Would have been a better promo for Payton and the program if they had included that this weekend's meet would be a head-to-head battle with the reigning Olympic champion (Crouser).

Payton was the 85rd thrower and Crouser the 86th (7th and final flight) out of the 86 competitors. So, the organizers of the meet knew their shit in terms of seeding the favorites.

Payton took 3rd overall and was the top collegian in the DISCUS. 2 guys from the Chula Vista Elite Training Center threw over 215'
    Otterdahl threw 205' 6" which is only a foot under his PR and school record.

Probably a pretty short list of NCAA athletes that have thrown 70' + in the SHOT PUT and 200' + in the DISCUS in the same meet.

Don’t know if this has been posted already, but a 3rd Otterdahl is on the way

http://m.startribune.com/prep-athlet...rds/509241542/

If he wanted to follow in the footsteps of older brothers Payton and Trevor, both throwers for the North Dakota State track and field team, the 6-7, 270-pound Otterdahl knew he had to commit himself fully to the art of throwing a shot put and a discus.
    So last fall, he decided to forgo football to lift weights and work on his throwing technique. He did find time to wrestle at the heavyweight level for the Irish, but his eyes and his heart were always set on his track and field accomplishments.
    That dedication paid of Friday at the Hamline Elite Meet. He won the shot put with a personal best throw of 61 feet, 4¾ inches. He set a meet record in the discus, taking top honors with a throw of 181 feet, 2 inches.

After leaning on his brothers for advice and guidance throughout his high school throwing career, Otterdahl will join them at North Dakota State next year. Before he does, however, he has some goals yet to reach.
    “The goals I have for myself this year are not only breaking my brothers’ records, but the state records, too,” he said.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Don’t know if this has been posted already, but a 3rd Otterdahl is on the way

http://m.startribune.com/prep-athlet...rds/509241542/
    Oh wow he's huge and putting up crazy numbers...good to hear. I also hope coach Mueller and coach Tod Brown are paying attention to the kids listed underneath Otterdahl as well.

4th place for Payton in the NCAA Outdoor Championships (SHOT PUT)
    Highest Division 1 finish for a Bison Men's Track & Field athlete in an outdoor season.
    Gives him first team All-American status.

So what’s the word on Payton? Is he taking the rest of the year off for recovery or does he have any international competition planned?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJump View Post
    So what’s the word on Payton? Is he taking the rest of the year off for recovery or does he have any international competition planned?
    Can't answer your question, but congratulations to Payton for making the Bowerman candidate list. Only 10 men (and 10 women) make the candidate list.

Payton had a terrific year. I assume he had injuries the outdoor season - not bad enough to sideline him, but bad enough to keep him from throwing at his ability - and I assume this limited him to some extent at the nationals, where a lot of folks were hoping for another championship. I don't know this as a fact; I am speculating; no one posted any injury news on these pages. (I may be wrong, he might have been healthy as a horse.) All that said, a 2nd place and a 4th place finish - so a two-time Division I All-American, first team, is something a lot of people would kill for. Along with his indoor all-time shot put record and his two national championships indoors, the season was a smashing success.

Will he win the Bowerman? Probably not, not without at least one championship outdoors. Why? Because Grant Holloway had such a great year too. He ended his collegiate career with a 110m hurdles NCAA championship, and a new all-time record (breaking Nehamiah's 40 year old record). Add to that his two NCAA championships indoors in 2019 (60m, and 60m Hurdles), his all-time college best in 60m Hurdles (from 2018), and helping Florida win the 4 x 100m relay at the NCAAs outdoors - he will be tough to beat for the Bowerman.

I suppose it is possible someone other than Holloway will win the 2019 Bowerman (for men), but I can't imagine who it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Can't answer your question, but congratulations to Payton for making the Bowerman candidate list. Only 10 men (and 10 women) make the candidate list.

Payton had a terrific year. I assume he had injuries the outdoor season - not bad enough to sideline him, but bad enough to keep him from throwing at his ability - and I assume this limited him to some extent at the nationals, where a lot of folks were hoping for another championship. I don't know this as a fact; I am speculating; no one posted any injury news on these pages. (I may be wrong, he might have been healthy as a horse.) All that said, a 2nd place and a 4th place finish - so a two-time Division I All-American, first team, is something a lot of people would kill for. Along with his indoor all-time shot put record and his two national championships indoors, the season was a smashing success.

Will he win the Bowerman? Probably not, not without at least one championship outdoors. Why? Because Grant Holloway had such a great year too. He ended his collegiate career with a 110m hurdles NCAA championship, and a new all-time record (breaking Nehamiah's 40 year old record). Add to that his two NCAA championships indoors in 2019 (60m, and 60m Hurdles), his all-time college best in 60m Hurdles (from 2018), and helping Florida win the 4 x 100m relay at the NCAAs outdoors - he will be tough to beat for the Bowerman.

I suppose it is possible someone other than Holloway will win the 2019 Bowerman (for men), but I can't imagine who it would be.
    They announced the Bowerman finalists. Payton didn't make it but Holloway did. Regardless, great year for Payton.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thebowerm...38648595378176