Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Outdoor Season

Default Re: 2018 Outdoor Season

Jumpers: Lexi Wittmeyer.
    Anyone know if she is red-shirting this year. She jumped 5' 10" in high school. Haven't seen her in any results this year.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Where is Alysa Olin? No results for her from Drake either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Jumpers: Lexi Wittmeyer.
    Anyone know if she is red-shirting this year. She jumped 5' 10" in high school. Haven't seen her in any results this year.
    She red-shirted a season last year. You’d still expect to see her competing unattached in some of the local meets. I’ve been wondering what her story was as well.

Mental aspect of competing in track and field ...

Maggie Ewen - from St. Francis, MN - now an Arizona State Sun-Devil (redshirt senior), who holds the NCAA lead for Hammer, Shot Put, and Discus, and NCAA records for two of them. No other athlete has ever held the collegiate record in two of these (per this article).
    http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...hot-put-discus

Quote from the article: "Ewen said her coach has been the 'main factor' in helping her notch record after record. She added that, beyond technical and timing changes, he has sharpened her mental approach -- a mindset for each of her three events."

The mental aspect of competing, very important, something I have mentioned many times in posts over the years. Nice to see it here coming from a coach. I found it interesting. I don't know all that Justin is doing with the NDSU throwers, but it is working. I suspect the mental approach is part of what he and the athletes talk about. We are very fortunate to have him at NDSU on many levels.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 05-11-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Mental aspect of competing in track and field ...

Maggie Ewen - from St. Francis, MN - now an Arizona State Sun-Devil (redshirt senior), who holds the NCAA lead for Hammer, Shot Put, and Discus, and NCAA records for two of them. No other athlete has ever held the collegiate record in two of these (per this article).
    http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...hot-put-discus

Quote from the article: "Ewen said her coach has been the 'main factor' in helping her notch record after record. She added that, beyond technical and timing changes, he has sharpened her mental approach -- a mindset for each of her three events."

The mental aspect of competing, very important, something I have mentioned many times in posts over the years. Nice to see it here coming from a coach. I found it interesting. I don't know all that Justin is doing with the NDSU throwers, but it is working. I suspect the mental approach is part of what he and the athletes talk about. We are very fortunate to have him at NDSU on many levels.
    Justin is the total package. Mental toughness, conditioning and just pure nastiness. Love it!
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Saw that Laura Roesler competed this past weekend ... at the USATF Distance Classic at Occidental College in the San Fernando Valley (just north of LA). She ran a 2:03.46, taking fourth place. Winner ran 2:00.38. This is essentially an early meet for the professional T&F athletes - times should get better as we get into the summer. The two best women's 800m runners in the US were not in this - they have both run under 2 this year. The 800m fields - both men and women - are as good or better than they ever have been in the US. New US record in the W-800m set last year (in a race where Roesler was the rabbit). I hope she does well. She has done exceptionally well over her career, but it also seems to me that she hasn't had a breakout year unless one counts the year she went under 2:00. With her natural speed and endurance, I still think she has a 1:57 or 1:56 in her, if she can have a season with no injuries, no headgames, etc.

West Regional - NCAAs - women on Friday.
    Tough day for the women today, everyone significantly off their personal bests. In the discuss, the 12th best throw was 53.18 meters (174' 6"). By contrast, the top personal best of all the Bison competing today was Maddie Nilles 52.97, so for any of the Bison women to have advanced, they would have had to throw a personal best today. It would have been tough to advance, but I would guess they all wish they had a better day. I feel for them. Regardless, congrats to these Bison - overall they had a great season, and the throwing overall keeps getting stronger.

Some of them have the hammer tomorrow. Good luck

Last event of Friday with a Bison - men's steeplechase.

Pretty amazing event - 19 runners in the three heats had personal bests and 2 had season bests.
    (In the East Regional, 12 personal bests and 2 season bests)
    Brant Gilbertson (running for the Bison) had an off day. 9:18 yesterday. He ran 8:56 earlier this year.
    To make it to the finals in Eugene June 6-9, steeplechasers in the West Regional had to run about 8:45 or better - a fast year.
    (In the East, had to run about 8:48, also quite fast).

NCAAs in Eugene - the Championship rounds - begin today, Wednesday. 6 June 2018

Good luck to McBride and Otterdahl - they throw in the hammer (McB) and the shot (Ott) today. Of 24 competing, Top 9 advance to the final round where they will get an additional three throws. Both the preliminary and the final rounds are today. So we will know by end of day how they did.

For tomorrow, good luck to the women. Olin (Javelin) and Nilles (Hammer) compete. Once again, both a preliminary and final on the same day. We will know by end of day tomorrow how they will do.

Otterdahl has the discus on Friday.

Top 8 make 1st Team All-American. Places 8-16 make 2nd team AA. Places 16-24 make Honorable Mention.
    All are a terrific honor.

Once again, good luck to all the Bison throwers. Exciting.

McBride threw 199' in the Hammer, about 10 feet below his best. He finished 24th out of 24, but not far from the thrower in front of him.

Otterdahl in the shot put will finish in 10th place, a 2nd team All-American. By being 10th after the first three throws, he was out of the running for getting into the final round where he would get another three. The top 9 'advanced' to the final round of three more throws. So Otter will finish 10th. The top 9 may move in place amongst each other, but it won't affect Otter's standing. He threw 64' and change. His NCAA leading throw was 68' 9-1/4". The top 9 have all done 4 throws now, each has 2 more remaining. The best throw so far is 67' 3/4", more than a foot and half less than Otter's best. They have two rounds to go, however, so we'll see how it all plays out.

Nice to have another a couple new Bison All-Amercans.

(Added after the competition was done): the winner in the shot put threw 67feet 7-1/2 inches. He also won the hammer throw. He is a junior.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-07-2018 at 05:12 AM.