Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Outdoor Season

Default Re: 2018 Outdoor Season

Summit League with a national champion -
    Congrats to Chris Nilsen of South Dakota!
    The sophomore won the pole vault - NCAA record 19’ 1 1/2”

https://mobile.twitter.com/SDCoyotes...929344/video/1

Maddy Nilles - 1st Team All-American 2018 in the Hammer Throw. Congratulations Maddy !

She threw 218-1, a Personal Best, and almost two feet further than her school record toss of 216-4.
    She was surrounded by people who threw 219 and 217. Winning toss was 239-3. Maggie Ewen, the favorite, last years Hammer Champ at the NCAAs, and the holder of the collegiate record in the Hammer at 245' did not compete. She Fouled out at the regional so did not advance to Eugene.

Six of the 1st Team All-Americans (that is, 6 of the top 8) had Personal Bests, including the winner who beat the 2nd place thrower by a mere 2 inches.

Alyssa Olin - listed as 5th in the NCAA results, but has the same distance 4th, so I think she tied for 4th in the Javelin.
    Regardless, she is the second Bison to make 1st Team All-American today.
    Winner tossed 198. Second place tossed 187. Both 1 & 2 were from Stanford. Olin threw 180.
    Top 4 throwers threw Personal Bests.

I was disappointed more women did not advance from the regionals into the finals, but two 1st team AAs - one has to smile about that. Great job Alyssa and Maddy.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Alyssa Olin - listed as 5th in the NCAA results, but has the same distance 4th, so I think she tied for 4th in the Javelin.
    Regardless, she is the second Bison to make 1st Team All-American today.
    Winner tossed 198. Second place tossed 187. Both 1 & 2 were from Stanford. Olin threw 180.
    Top 4 throwers threw Personal Bests.

I was disappointed more women did not advance from the regionals into the finals, but two 1st team AAs - one has to smile about that. Great job Alyssa and Maddy.
    Alyssa placed 5th. They take your next best throw as a tie breaker. I watched the competition live on ESPN 3. I was impressed with Alyssa's quickness and explosiveness. Proof that you don't need to be big to throw the Jav.

Payton Otterdahl - got 10th in the discus. So a two-time (2nd team) All-American. A heck of an honor.
    You'll all read about it on gobison.com, but he threw 182-0. Winning toss was 198-2, second place was 193-5.
    There were 8 (if I counted right) throwers who has Personal Bests of over 200 feet during the season.
    No discus thrower today had a Personal Best, which is interesting and unusual - perhaps the wind was affecting throws (saw videos - rain, wet conditions).
    Otter's best throw during the season was 195-0 - the 13th best of everyone competing today. He earned 10th.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-09-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Alyssa placed 5th. They take your next best throw as a tie breaker. I watched the competition live on ESPN 3. I was impressed with Alyssa's quickness and explosiveness. Proof that you don't need to be big to throw the Jav.
    Didn't know it was on ESPN3 ... I could have watched on Internet TV. That would have been fun.
    Thanks for the clarification on why Alyssa was 5th.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Other interesting or surprising outcomes (to me anyway)

1. A University of MN athlete won the 3000m Men's Steeple (the only points U of MN got on the men's side).
    2. Men's 400m. All sophomores and juniors in the final and the three sophomores took 1, 2, and 3. Winner set a new all-time college mark, 43.61
    3. USC runners set new college all-time records in three events: 400m, 400m hurdles, and 4x400m. Impressive.
    4. Josh Kerr did not win the 1500m. He was last years champion, the indoor mile champion, and set an all-time college mark earlier this track season. He finished 3rd in a relatively slow race for the NCAAs.
    5. Michael Saruni did not win the 800m. He set an all-time college best in this event about a month ago. He also finished 3rd.

And on the women's side of things ...
    1. A freshman won the 400m (from Georgia), setting a NCAA meet record in the process, and nearly getting the all-time best mark for colleges.
    2. A freshman won the 400m Hurdles (Kentucky).
    3. Maggie Ewen, from St. Francis MN but competing for Arizona State won two throwing events - discus and shotput. If she did not foul in the hammer (in the regionals), she had a shot at being the first ever three time throwing winner.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-10-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Maybe this is as good a place to put U.S. Championships comments as anyplace.

Th, 6/21. Alyssia Olin gets 5th in the Javelin. Nice job. Below her best throw, however I think this dynamo will be back next year.
    Fr, 6/22 Steffan Stroh gets 17th in Hammer. Tough event this year. Stroh was off his season best, but even if he equaled his PB, he would have moved up only about 4 spots.
    Fr, 6/22 Laura Roesler (South High School, then Oregon), takes 5th in her semi-final heat with a good time - under 2:01 - but does not make final. Top 4 in the two heats advanced. Her time was better than two of the women who advanced in the other semi. Tough one for LR.

The Otter is in the same heat as Ryan Crouser tomorrow in the shot. Should be good.
    Riley Dolezal, defending champion, throws in Javelin tomorrow.
    Chris Nilson, a sophomore at U.South Dakota, won the NCAA in the pole vault is listed as unattached. Hmm...
    Mollii Detloff (UND) and Maddy Nilles (NDSU) go at it in the hammer tomorrow.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-23-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Maybe this is as good a place to put U.S. Championships comments as anyplace.

Th, 6/21. Alyssia Olin gets 5th in the Javelin. Nice job. Below her best throw, however I think this dynamo will be back next year.
    Fr, 6/22 Steffan Stroh gets 17th in Hammer. Tough event this year. Stroh was off his season best, but even if he equaled his PB, he would have moved up only about 4 spots.
    Fr, 6/22 Laura Roesler (South High School, then Oregon), takes 5th in her semi-final heat with a good time - under 2:01 - but does not make final. Top 4 in the two heats advanced. Her time was better than two of the women who advanced in the other semi. Tough one for LR.

The Otter is in the same heat as Ryan Crouser tomorrow in the shot. Should be good.
    Riley Dolezal, defending champion, throws in Javelin tomorrow.
    Chris Nilson, a sophomore at U.South Dakota, won the NCAA in the pole vault is listed as unattached. Hmm...
    Mollii Detloff (UND) and Maddy Nilles (NDSU) go at it in the hammer tomorrow.
    Rose Jackson takes 13th place in the multi, scoring 5429. She won the 800 in 2:12 and took 2nd in the 200 in 24.11, but all her other events were right around 13th to 16th place. This was about 300 points off her PR.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Other interesting or surprising outcomes (to me anyway)

1. A University of MN athlete won the 3000m Men's Steeple (the only points U of MN got on the men's side).
    2. Men's 400m. All sophomores and juniors in the final and the three sophomores took 1, 2, and 3. Winner set a new all-time college mark, 43.61
    3. USC runners set new college all-time records in three events: 400m, 400m hurdles, and 4x400m. Impressive.
    4. Josh Kerr did not win the 1500m. He was last years champion, the indoor mile champion, and set an all-time college mark earlier this track season. He finished 3rd in a relatively slow race for the NCAAs.
    5. Michael Saruni did not win the 800m. He set an all-time college best in this event about a month ago. He also finished 3rd.

And on the women's side of things ...
    1. A freshman won the 400m (from Georgia), setting a NCAA meet record in the process, and nearly getting the all-time best mark for colleges.
    2. A freshman won the 400m Hurdles (Kentucky).
    3. Maggie Ewen, from St. Francis MN but competing for Arizona State won two throwing events - discus and shotput. If she did not foul in the hammer (in the regionals), she had a shot at being the first ever three time throwing winner.
    #2 on the woman's side is not just a freshman from Kentucky. She is Sidney McLaughlin, high school Olympian in Rio, already the best 400 meter hurdler on the planet and maybe the sports next big star!