Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Outdoor Season

Default Re: 2018 Outdoor Season

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    Here are some screenshots from the race.
    Nice to see her running at or near the front for the whole race in the screen shots. In Rabat, and in most big races I've seen Laura in, she runs at the back of the pack. In Rabat she was in last place at the start of the bell lap. In my opinion she needs to be more aggressive in the meets with the good competition and try to stay in the top 4-5 so she in position for the final 200-250m. Maybe she'll find she doesn't have legs for going out that fast, but on the other hand maybe she will and by seeing she has a chance with 200-250 to go, some killer instinct will turn on and power her through the final stage and give her a run better than she was expecting. I wonder ... if she doesn't go out and run with the best (take a risk) for the first 500-600m, will she ever find out what her potential is?
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 07-18-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    The London Meet that Castor Troy mentioned

Here is the link:
    https://london.diamondleague.com/home/
    Here is the field for the London race for Sunday, July 22.

Name Season Best Time Personal Best Time
    Bell, Alexandra (Gr.Br.) 1:59.93 1:59.93
    Brown, Ce'Aira (USA) 1:58.65 1:58.65
    Goule, Natoya (Jamaica) 1:57.69 1:57.69
    Hynne, Hedda (Norway) 2:01.46 1:59.87
    Maclean, Heather (USA) 2:03.61 2:03.61
    McGowen, Brittany (Australia) 2:00.24 2:00.24
    Roesler, Laura (USA) 2:00.56 1:59.04
    Santiusti, Yuneysi (Italy) 2:01.80 1:58.53
    Sharp, Lynsey (Gr.Br.) 1:59.86 1:57.69
    Verstegen-Wolters, Sanne (Holland) 1:59.85 1:59.55
    Walcott-Nolan, Revee (Gr.Br.) 2:02.46 2:02.32
    Very good field.
    I suspect that Maclean will be the rabbit.

Here is the field for the London race for Sunday, July 22.

Name Season Best Time Personal Best Time
    Bell, Alexandra (Gr.Br.) 1:59.93 1:59.93
    Brown, Ce'Aira (USA) 1:58.65 1:58.65
    Goule, Natoya (Jamaica) 1:57.69 1:57.69
    Hynne, Hedda (Norway) 2:01.46 1:59.87
    Maclean, Heather (USA) 2:03.61 2:03.61
    McGowen, Brittany (Australia) 2:00.24 2:00.24
    Roesler, Laura (USA) 2:00.56 1:59.04
    Santiusti, Yuneysi (Italy) 2:01.80 1:58.53
    Sharp, Lynsey (Gr.Br.) 1:59.86 1:57.69
    Verstegen-Wolters, Sanne (Holland) 1:59.85 1:59.55
    Walcott-Nolan, Revee (Gr.Br.) 2:02.46 2:02.32
    Very good field.
    I suspect that Maclean will be the rabbit.
    Based on this field, I hope Roesler positions herself to be in the Top 4 as they enter the final 200m. Only 4 have run faster than her and only Goule and Sharp by more than a second so she should be able to run with them and be competing for a top finish.

In my (limited) opinion, I think she needs to take a risk, and run near the front in this race (or another race fairly soon) ... then bring out the Roesler kick with about 225m to go and see where she ends up. If she keeps running at the back-of-the-pack in these big races (meaning, with world class competition), I have to wonder (a) what her coach is telling her, and (b) if there isn't some kind of a mental block. To get over (b), she may need to do a race where she throws caution to the wind.

Based on this field, I hope Roesler positions herself to be in the Top 4 as they enter the final 200m. Only 4 have run faster than her and only Goule and Sharp by more than a second so she should be able to run with them and be competing for a top finish.

In my (limited) opinion, I think she needs to take a risk, and run near the front in this race (or another race fairly soon) ... then bring out the Roesler kick with about 225m to go and see where she ends up. If she keeps running at the back-of-the-pack in these big races (meaning, with world class competition), I have to wonder (a) what her coach is telling her, and (b) if there isn't some kind of a mental block. To get over (b), she may need to do a race where she throws caution to the wind.
    She did a great job of positioning herself in the top 4 but when it came time to kick, she would only hold onto 4th, which is good. She ran 2:00.45 and the winner was low 1:58. I am really not sure why she cannot close in these races.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    She did a great job of positioning herself in the top 4 but when it came time to kick, she would only hold onto 4th, which is good. She ran 2:00.45 and the winner was low 1:58. I am really not sure why she cannot close in these races.
    Thanks for updating us.

I am glad to hear that she got herself into a position to win, even if the kick wasn't there coming down the stretch - that is a tactical improvement that was good. In additoin, her time is a season's best (SB), so from that standpoint, it is good. Sounds like we are thinking alike - where is the breakthrough. Laura is getting better every week, so this is a plus. And maybe her training is designed for her to peak in August - so we might see that 'surprise' good time yet. We will see.

That said, the improvements have been modest and she is still is more than a second from her personal best of 1:59.04. She had some injury issues a couple years ago, so this might be a factor. A couple years ago Laura and Ajee Wilson were pretty close in what they could do. Ajee tended to win their head-to-heads, but they were close. Then Wilson ran her 1:55 last summer (in a race where Laura was the designated rabbit). Today there is a pretty big gap - nearly 4 seconds. Makes me wonder.

I tend to think that most of Laura's situation is mental - some confidence issues, or 'tired of running' or 'tired of being in the limelight', or insufficient support network, so the hunger isn't there. I have been convinced the talent and ability is there to go significantly under 2:00 (ever since she ran a 2:03 as a sophomore in high school). But the mental might not be the all-in-all. It could be training too (or entirely the training, I suppose) - not an optimal set of workouts, or maybe not people of high enough caliber to train with, nutrition isn't optimal, etc. It could be a lot of things.

Several years ago, Jeremy Wariner got upset with his coach over, I think, how much the coach cost versus what Jeremy wanted to pay. He was the reigning Olympic champion at the time and had run something like 43.45 - no one in the world was running that fast at the time. The dispute happened several months before the next Olympics. One of Wariner's strengths under that coach was his closing speed. Wariner almost always had the better legs for the last 100m, was nearly unbeatable if he was near the front coming into the home stretch. He was the favorite to repeat in the 400m at the Olympics. He could not resolve things with the coach that got him his Olympic gold, so he got another (very good) coach, went to the Olympics, but could not close down the stretch. He won the silver. (He also ran, by some accounts, a 42.93 split in the 4x400m in the same Olympics - a fantastic time - which was great, but where was that for the open 400m? He ran angry, I suspect, pushed the mind games aside). These things (to me) suggest that both his training and his mental preparation (mental coaching) with the new coach was not as good as what he had. These great T & F athletes are fine-tuned machines and being off a little on training or the mental approach, can make a big difference (in my opinion).

My apologies for the long post.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 07-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.

From July 25 ...

the Karlstad GP (held in Sweden).
    Laura Roesler takes second place behind Ce'Aira Brown. Brown ran 1:58.01, Roesler ran a 2:00.63.

Here is the link:
    http://212.247.216.72/friidrott/karlstad18/resultat.php

Anyone have any info on what Riley Dolezal (javelin) and Erin Teschuk (distance) have been doing. Riley was in the U.S Championships in June. Erin ran the 2-mile at the Drake Relays. I have not heard or seen anything beyond these.

Any other Bison (former or present) competing this summer?

Former Bison - Maddie Van Beek.
    She is still competing, running.

her website:
    https://maddiefromfargo.com

An excerpt from Shelby Houlihan on the mental aspect of competing in track and field ...

"“I am very lucky in that I have my mom in my corner. As a former athlete, she is the first person I call after ever race and she is the main person I look to for advice. In the past I’ve raced with a lack of confidence and hanged back in races, yet mom has definitely called me out on that a few times and she said sometimes you just have to ‘put yourself in the mix’. It is something I’ve worked hard on and it has finally started to click." (from www.iaaf.org. article titled "Shelby Houlihan: I Love Running Because ..." posted August 2, 2018.

Houlihan recently set an American Record in the women's 5000 meters, and is presently #3 all-time in the 1500m in the U.S.A.

This is outside the purview of bisonville.com, but I was impressed enough that I felt it was worth sharing.
    European Champsionship. Two athletes that are young ...

Armand Duplantis (from Sweden) wins the pole vault with a leap of 6.05 meters (slightly better than 19' 3/4"). He is 18 years old.
    Jakob Ingegrigtsen (from Norway) wins both the 5000m and 1500m. The only person to have ever won this double. He is 17 years old.
    . He ran a 13:17.06 5000m with a 54 second last lap (Prefontaine's best time, by comparison, was 13:22), and he ran a 3:38.10 in the 1500m (about a 3:55 mile).
    . His best 1500m time is 3:31 (about a 3:48 mile).
    I think these are the only under 20 athletes to win events or have extraordinary performances for their age in the European Championships.
    Like some of the NCAA performances this year by young athletes (eg. 400m men, 400m IH men and women), these performances boggle my mind.

The entire Ingebrigtsen brothers (three of them) have been running impressive times, all have run 3:38 or better.
    Jakob's brother Filip has the best 1500m time, for example, having run 3:30.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 08-13-2018 at 05:32 PM.