Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Preview

Default 2018-2019 Preview

With the 2017-2018 in the books, might as well look ahead to next year.

125-133 will be the most interesting part of the roster, with 3 NCAA qualifiers fighting for two, maybe three spots. Brent Fleetwood, Paul Bianchi, and Cam Sykora are 3 above average options competing for seemingly 2 spots. I don't think Cam has the size/strength to be as effective at 141, but having him bump up would keep all three guys in the lineup while solving the 141 problem. If they don't bump up, I expect Binachi to be the odd man out next year, although he would put up similar results to Fleetwood. Midkiff should redshirt next year, and I think he is the heir apparent at 133 once Sykora graduates.

141 was our biggest struggle all year, and I'm not sure it gets better next year. Hampton started off very well, but they went away from him after some struggles. Colunga has the speed, agility, and length, but needs more strength. Taylor Nein had a rough year redshirting after being the starter the previous year. Sawyer Degen is really long and tough on top, and he is my early pick for the spot if Cam doesn't bump up. With a full year to add bulk and strength, I think he could be average at 141 thanks to his length and his mat wrestling.

149 Van Maanen has to be the favorite hear, but he didn't have a great redshirt campaign. Maybe Nico can add some more bulk and compete for the spot here.

157 I think it comes down to two guys, Franek and Mergen. Mergen was actually ok this year and is probably the favorite for the spot next year. IMO, Franek is ready and is probably the higher upside option. Based on past results, Mergen is an average starting option at very best, but Franek offers more potential.

165 Fogarty will be looked to as the anchor of the lineup.

174 will come down to Urbach and Shearer. We know what Urbach is but the jury is still out on Shearer. I hope Shearer takes a step and locks this spot down.

184 Belongs to McNutt and I think he's capable of being an NCAA qualifier if he's healthy and going well. Popp is another option here, and I love his motor. He could be an option at 174 too.

197 is Eaton and I hope he gets some offseason mat time and improves into an NCAA qualifier.

HWT will be fascinating to see how it shakes out between Big Dan and Metz. I didn't think Big Dan would be as solid as he was this year, but he was solid. I still think Metz offers far more upside and wins the spot. Metz needs to add strength, get his body better, and keep working on his offense. Even a decent snatch single would be hugely beneficial. I expect Metz to be an NCAA qualifier.

This has the potential to be a very young team with Shearer, Van Maanen, Metz, Franek, and Degen with legitimate chances at the lineup as freshmen.

Default Re: 2018-2019 Preview

I would red shirt Franek unless he beats Mergen bad. Those redshirt freshmen you mentioned need to be strong if we are to have much of a future. We have been weak at 41 and 84 you would think that Coach Kish would recruit better to address this. Our recruiting this year besides Franek is questionable. I thought the Illinois might be a good recruit but he lost in his state finals after winning twice before. He is tall and could be a 41 in the future but more likely a 33. Before the season I was excited about the freshmen but you are right their results were not impressive. I would suspect that Fleetwood will take 125 as you indicate.

I hope the whole team does something different this off season. I am struggling to come up with examples where we made any real improvements over last season.

Rumors are swirling that Chris Bono has been offered and accepted the Wisconsin job.

That doesn't surprise me, but some are saying head assistant Jon Reader is following him. I don't know of a single person who doesn't/didn't expect Reader to take over SDSU when Bono actually left.

We'll have to wait and see if this is indeed the case. If it is, it likely helps NDSU by having Bono out at SDSU.

I think Roger Kish would be a great replacement at SDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Rumors are swirling that Chris Bono has been offered and accepted the Wisconsin job.

That doesn't surprise me, but some are saying head assistant Jon Reader is following him. I don't know of a single person who doesn't/didn't expect Reader to take over SDSU when Bono actually left.

We'll have to wait and see if this is indeed the case. If it is, it likely helps NDSU by having Bono out at SDSU.
    https://www.flowrestling.org/article...h-at-wisconsin

http://news.theopenmat.com/blog/2018...ity-wisconsin/

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/3/23/...challenge.aspx
    Last edited by Gladiator Dad; 03-24-2018 at 03:38 PM.

I still haven't seen anything definitive that Reader is following him to Wisconsin. To me, it makes more sense for Reader and SDSU to just elevate him to the head coach.

I'm a little torn on this one. I think having a very strong program at SDSU is the best thing to keep upward pressure on our own program.

I still haven't seen anything definitive that Reader is following him to Wisconsin. To me, it makes more sense for Reader and SDSU to just elevate him to the head coach.
    If they're smart they will make Reader an offer, I think it will keep some stability in their program. The other Big Question is how many recruits will de-commit from SDSU with Bono's departure?

The only bad I see with this is it furthers the Big 10 and shrinks our conference ( Little 12). Five years ago we looked like we are developing into a stronger program ( it hasn't happened).