Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just an offseason stat

Default Re: Just an offseason stat

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Why is it always assumed you have to spends huge amounts of money to be successful? Do conferences have a minimum?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I don’t think they have minimums. But why would a conference accept someone who doesn’t spend on their programs like the other schools in the conference? It’s about maintaining appearances for a conference. And it is not like they would just plop down money on extra “stuff” the costs of things like staff go up which raises your expenditures on athletics.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by noryan34 View Post
    For some interesting information check out the Knight commision

Couple pulled tidbits in 2015 NDSU spent ~$53,000 per student athlete.
    by comparison MAC conference on average spent ~$63,000 and MWC spent ~$90,000
    FWIW the U of Texas spent $307,000 per athlete

NDSU would need to increase spending $10,000-30,000 to be average in terms of $$ if moving up. Considering that the bottom half of FCS schools allocate more money to football %-wise than the top half and FCS, they cut other athletics programs and wind up around 500 student athletes. So spending on athletics would need to increase $5m-15m per year. But that does not include any upgrades or new facilities that would be needed before moving (indoor practice facility comes to mind).
    A major driver of the cost issue is tuition. Ours is cheaper than the MAC or MWC, although the MWC almost certainly does spend more per athlete adjusting for the difference. MAC is probably pretty close

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    A major driver of the cost issue is tuition. Ours is cheaper than the MAC or MWC, although the MWC almost certainly does spend more per athlete adjusting for the difference. MAC is probably pretty close
    I am sure tuition plays a part in it, but I think the major driver is what they pay coaches, not just football coaches but also basketball coaches, etc.

The metric from the Knight Foundation is a weird one, I am assuming they take the Athletic Budget and divide it by the number of varsity athletes they have. The NCAA Finances on the USAToday website gives better fidelity on revenue and expenses. If you look at NDSU it appears the fanbase is doing a fantastic job of supporting the athletic program, significantly better than most G5 schools, and virtually all the FCS schools with the exception of the University of Montana. An FBS move will take more money, the question is where is the money going to come from -- fans, the state, or the students. As for right now, NDSU's finances look pretty good for the FCS... if you want to see some screwed up finances, look at JMU -- $36M from student fees to fund athletics vs $1.4M at NDSU for the 2016 academic year.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Out of state tuition for NDSU is ~$20,500, Out of state averages for MAC $22,800 and MWC $21,300.

A lot closer than I would have thought.

The website <equity in athletics> (can someone post a link) tells you what every school in the country spends on athletics. Very interesting to find out Gonzaga spends more on mens BB than ndsu spends on womens, mens bb and football combined. We spend 1 to 1.5 million more on football than all but a few fcs teams. CAA has some teams that spend as much and some high tuition private schools spend more.

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Saw a stat that said NDSU currently has the most players in the NFL from the FCS
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    Saw a stat that said NDSU currently has the most players in the NFL from the FCS
    Funny because I saw today that they have the second most.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well I had seen stat today that this years pro day had the highest number of NFL scouts ever with 21 teams represented.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Well I had seen stat today that this years pro day had the highest number of NFL scouts ever with 21 teams represented.
    Just another weapon in the recruiting arsenal.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Funny because I saw today that they have the second most.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    As of last fall, this site had NDSU tied with Delaware and App State with 6 each. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...17-nfl-rosters
    It's OK to not be OK.