Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just an offseason stat

Default Re: Just an offseason stat

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    Dont be stupid---quit that talk---competition wise we could compete from 40-100 ranked teams I think---but need about estimate $100 million more
    in athletic budget for all programs to move up.......
    I think NDSU could hold its own against teams from 30-100 but that is kind of quibbling. I think they could occasionally pull off an upset against a higher rated team similar to what happened against Iowa. The reason I am opposed to moving to the FBS is that NDSU would be shuttled to some conference where we would aspire to play in the "Verizon presents the Doritos don't double-dip bowl brought to you by Honda." By which I mean one of the proliferating "bowl" games that no one outside of the participants really cares about. Why spend a lot more money just to be irrelevant. While I suppose some would argue "no one but the participants really cares about the FCS" it is nice to say that the Bison are Division 1 football national champions.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    While I suppose some would argue "no one but the participants really cares about the FCS" it is nice to say that the Bison are Division 1 football national champions.
    I think even more important than "it is nice to say that..." is whether the players we recruit would rather play for a national championship in FCS or in the "Verizon presents the Doritos... Bowl." I may be wrong, but I believe that we are able to recruit high caliber players partly because they have a legitimate shot each year of being a national champion. Doesn't matter if it is FCS -- especially when they see that FCS players can be successful in the NFL if they are good enough.

Recruiting would definitely change a bit if we ever moved to FBS. Would it be "better"? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    I think even more important than "it is nice to say that..." is whether the players we recruit would rather play for a national championship in FCS or in the "Verizon presents the Doritos... Bowl." I may be wrong, but I believe that we are able to recruit high caliber players partly because they have a legitimate shot each year of being a national champion. Doesn't matter if it is FCS -- especially when they see that FCS players can be successful in the NFL if they are good enough.

Recruiting would definitely change a bit if we ever moved to FBS. Would it be "better"? I'm not sure.
    Which G5 programs are legit better than NDSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

Meh. Every year there's a couple that are probably on par or a little better than NDSU. Boise State a couple years ago. USF and UCF last year. Western Michigan the year before. Navy once in a while.

Other than that, the G5 is pretty much a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I'm not following you, CAS. In response to your question, WeAreThePride sums it up pretty well from a quality of play perspective.

My point is simply that our recruiting would change if we were to go FBS. I haven't ever recruited or been recruited, so I may be off base here, but my understanding is that a big part of recruiting is finding players whose motivation matches the needs of the program. I'm sure there is an element of "I want to be a national champion" that enters the equation for some student athletes. That kind of drive to succeed and win is (I think) a piece of the puzzle that has contributed to NDSU's success. If we were to jump to the FBS, it is very unlikely that we'd have the resources to compete for a national title each year like we do in FCS. I believe that some of the high caliber players that we recruit now wouldn't have the same motivation to come to NDSU. Sure, we still have a storied program and could continue to compete at a high level for a G5 school, and we would still want to attract the kind of players that give it their all for the success of the team. But I believe it would change in some intangible ways if we weren't competing for a title. We still might have an edge over other G5 teams because of our tradition of excellence, but in a young student athlete's mind, I just think it would change the equation to some degree.

Any thoughts/perspective from your personal experience?

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    I'm not following you, CAS. In response to your question, WeAreThePride sums it up pretty well from a quality of play perspective.

My point is simply that our recruiting would change if we were to go FBS. I haven't ever recruited or been recruited, so I may be off base here, but my understanding is that a big part of recruiting is finding players whose motivation matches the needs of the program. I'm sure there is an element of "I want to be a national champion" that enters the equation for some student athletes. That kind of drive to succeed and win is (I think) a piece of the puzzle that has contributed to NDSU's success. If we were to jump to the FBS, it is very unlikely that we'd have the resources to compete for a national title each year like we do in FCS. I believe that some of the high caliber players that we recruit now wouldn't have the same motivation to come to NDSU. Sure, we still have a storied program and could continue to compete at a high level for a G5 school, and we would still want to attract the kind of players that give it their all for the success of the team. But I believe it would change in some intangible ways if we weren't competing for a title. We still might have an edge over other G5 teams because of our tradition of excellence, but in a young student athlete's mind, I just think it would change the equation to some degree.

Any thoughts/perspective from your personal experience?
    You followed my point just fine it appears.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.