Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Brackets

Default Re: NCAA Brackets

SDSU up to 3 All Americans after Kocer wins in OT...

Watching the semis on ESPN, wish the Bison were as aggressive as these top guys.

157 is on now....Ream, our best wrestler, isn't even close to these guys. NC State guy is a freshman and he's going to the finals.

Freshmen keep getting better and better. It is unreal how much better high school kids are now compared to 5 years ago. That isn't a knock on the kids from 5 years ago, as they are better than kids were 10 years ago.

There are 2 true freshman in the finals already, in Yanni Diakomihalis and Spencer Lee. Lee destroyed one of the best 125 pounders of the past decade, in 4 x AA and former national champ Nathan Tomasello.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Freshmen keep getting better and better. It is unreal how much better high school kids are now compared to 5 years ago. That isn't a knock on the kids from 5 years ago, as they are better than kids were 10 years ago.

There are 2 true freshman in the finals already, in Yanni Diakomihalis and Spencer Lee. Lee destroyed one of the best 125 pounders of the past decade, in 4 x AA and former national champ Nathan Tomasello.
    The skill level is showing up tremendously at the World Level. Last year, we won the Senior and Junior Freestyle World Championships and placed second at the Cadet level. The influence of wrestlers like Cael Sanderson and the emergence of Regional Training Centers have been a big difference in helping us become a more skilled country instead of the physically style we had with the Brands/Iowa-style of wrestling.

Not to be degrading to the Iowa-style, but after the Brands brothers in the early 90s, the Russians and former Soviet Republics got tired of being tired and having their heads beat-in from wrestling us Americans. This caused them to be more dedicated to being in shape (no smoking or drinking between matches) and being more physical themselves.

With an inferior skill set due to too many coaches in this country being stuck on teaching the Iowa-style, we were set back for the better part of the past twenty years. Thankfully, over the past decade, the younger coaches and wrestlers realized the importance of wrestling, especially at the World-level, being more than just beating the heck out of your opponent.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I'm really disappointed with the results from NCAAs and the season as a whole. The guys went 3-8 at the NCAA tournament, and that is poor by any stretch/objective measurement. We also won only 1 Big12 dual all year, while offering up far too many flat/inconsistent performances.

It is even more frustrating seeing SDSU have Gross in the semifinals, plus Kocer, Zilverberg, and Rotert all one win away from becoming All Americans. Our rivals to the south are better than us in every facet on the mat. They're more aggressive, more talented, and better coached than NDSU.

I'm not sure what needs to change or what to expect next year. We lose our best wrestler in Ream and one of our best/most consistent starters in Gliva. I have high hopes for Van Maanen, Shearer, Metz, and Franek, but they will be freshman and will struggle at times.
    Here's what I wrote after the SDSU dual:

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I don't know what the culture on the team is but most of the Bison struggle to finish any of their shots (usually get nothing or give up a TD on counter attack) and are giving up to easily to their opponents shots and attacks on top.

From a fan perspective, I hate to say I see a major lack of intensity, physicality and hunger. That needs to return.
    From a former NDSU, it's mind-boggling to see how much the program has changed in regards to culture. Outside a few weight classes, SDSU wrestlers looked a lot more physically fit and brought a sense of hunger, intensity and confidence. Some of our guys started strong, but once they got down, the desire to fight wasn't there.

Again, this needs to change. It's not something that comes just from the coaches, but also the athletes. They need to push each other harder and not just during the season, but the whole year. Hopefully, ever wrestler in the program plans to compete at the Senior, UWW Junior and UWW U23 events this Springs, Summer and early Fall.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Clay Ream wins his 3rd Elite 90 award. Congrats!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Well the Jack's got a division one national champion.

Lardsin must go!

Wyoming has a great chance to get a national champion here now too.

I think Yianni is the better wrestler, but it seems this is Meredith's year

Man, these true freshmen are special

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Man, these true freshmen are special
    Was just going to comment on the true freshman.

Can Penn State win em all like last year?

Lardsin must go!