Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Dave!

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fire Dave!

Those of you defending Richman, here's his track record as head coach:

Season..........Overall Record.........Conference..........Conference Finish.........Post Season (my apologies, don't know how to make a table look good)
    2014–15........23–10.....................12–4..... ..............T–1st...........................NCAA Second Round
    2015–16........20–13.....................8–8...... ...............5th
    2016–17........19–11.....................11–5..... ..............2nd
    2017–18........14–16.....................5–9...... ...............T–5th

In year 4, where we have his recruits taking over the program we see a pretty significant drop off and overall, just a downward trend for the program IMO. Is this what we want? Does this program look like its headed in the right direction? What do we predict next year to look like with the current roster and coaching staff? Better, same, or worse than this year? I don't see anything in the cupboard that gives me optimism that next year we be better or even the same as this year. Where do we make up for the loss of Miller's production on the offensive side of the ball? Where do we get any offense at all? What about attendance numbers? Those are tanking as well. I have very little optimism for improvement on any front next year or beyond under Richman. We are NDS fucking U and we piss excellence, or better be striving to on every level. We shouldn't accept shitting mediocracy in any athletic or academic program, period!
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Again, one down year and you think the world has fallen apart. Thank God we didn't get rid of Saul after those down years. Richman has every right to continue as coach for another year. Projecting where we are going to be next year? Come on, how ridiculous is that? You and others have no idea if there will be any other recruits or transfer signed or what impact those recruits that are already signed will have. We all know basketball is the sport where 1 or 2 players can make a championship run. It was a disappointing year for Coach Richman and the team and I hope that it is not repeated again next year and if it is then further evaluation of the program is then warranted. But not after one sub .500 year.

Everybody is a coaching expert. What coach would want the job if after a couple of poor years you know you'll get canned.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Everybody is a coaching expert. What coach would want the job if after a couple of poor years you know you'll get canned.
    Unfortunately that's how it works in today's college basketball and there is still a lot of people involved and looking to get into the profession.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    Again, one down year and you think the world has fallen apart. Thank God we didn't get rid of Saul after those down years. Richman has every right to continue as coach for another year. Projecting where we are going to be next year? Come on, how ridiculous is that? You and others have no idea if there will be any other recruits or transfer signed or what impact those recruits that are already signed will have. We all know basketball is the sport where 1 or 2 players can make a championship run. It was a disappointing year for Coach Richman and the team and I hope that it is not repeated again next year and if it is then further evaluation of the program is then warranted. But not after one sub .500 year.
    Yeah, I hate to say it but he looks lost. I think he is loosing control of the program and his players. He picked up a program that was at a tipping point to go to great places but instead has let it spiral down and we are back to mediocrity or a little below that. We have been heading down hill for over a year and a half. Saul's down years were expected. We were all in for the tournament. It took a couple years to get that recruiting class that allowed us to get to the top but we all saw what was building.

I don't see anything building here. We have some players I like (I won't name names) but I'm not seeing the horizon of a team coming together. We have also lost some players that we needed too. I think that is on Dave. Clements, Kabellis, Dupree (came back), Ishola, Eliason, etc. We really could have used some of these guys. A lot recruited by Dave that left after a taste of NDSU basketball. These guys didn't leave because of injury either and they were all getting playing time. That is concerning. If a guy leaves that never saw the floor, that's one thing. This is another.

Now, honest truth. I was a critic of Saul because I thought Marshal, Wright, LA, and Braun (Aagberg and Brown) should have gone to the dance more than once. I still believe that. We got there and made a little noise but I think there could have been more.

But you are probably right, no smoke here, just a down year. We will be OK. (sarcasm)

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Those of you defending Richman, here's his track record as head coach:

Season..........Overall Record.........Conference..........Conference Finish.........Post Season (my apologies, don't know how to make a table look good)
    2014–15........23–10.....................12–4..... ..............T–1st...........................NCAA Second Round
    2015–16........20–13.....................8–8...... ...............5th
    2016–17........19–11.....................11–5..... ..............2nd
    2017–18........14–16.....................5–9...... ...............T–5th
    Just for comparison purposes... Craig Smith's same tenure at USD

Season..........Overall Record.........Conference..........Conference Finish.........Post Season
    2014–15........17-16.....................9-7.....................T–4th....................... ....
    2015–16........14-18.....................5-11...................8th.......................... .
    2016–17........22-12.....................12-4...................1st ........................... NIT First Round
    2017–18........24-7.......................11-3...................2nd...........................

Not advocating for anything... but USD is very much on an upward trend... where I think the same can't be said for NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    Look, don't worry. He'll get another year. And you may be correct that on the number of career wins alone, he deserves more time. But you're not watching the games over the past couple years if you haven't seen red flags. And you're summary of Richman's record as being only one down year is insufficient. NDSU generally doesn't beat anybody worth beating. Among our 14 regular season wins this year are 3 NAIA teams. In the end, I suspect your way of looking at it--which is simply to count wins and losses and calling it good until there are more losses than wins overall--is exactly what the NDSU admin will do.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Speaking of low post players...
    Bjorkland had incredible footwork which apparently rubbed off on Dex. Dex had incredible footwork and an edge.

Our current player development in the post is HORRIBLE. Check our Bjorklands footwork. Apparently none of our currently players even attempt to do what he did. Are these guys not spending their offseason developing moves?

Man, just look at that team. They looked like they belonged out there, because they did. This year's team resembled the DII days athletically.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Man, just look at that team. They looked like they belonged out there, because they did. This year's team resembled the DII days athletically.
    10 seconds into that video I said out loud(to my computer) I really miss watching that team.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Look, don't worry. He'll get another year. And you may be correct that on the number of career wins alone, he deserves more time. But you're not watching the games over the past couple years if you haven't seen red flags. And you're summary of Richman's record as being only one down year is insufficient. NDSU generally doesn't beat anybody worth beating. Among our 14 regular season wins this year are 3 NAIA teams. In the end, I suspect your way of looking at it--which is simply to count wins and losses and calling it good until there are more losses than wins overall--is exactly what the NDSU admin will do.
    Again, you are only using one year as the trend, that being this year. If this continues for more than a year then yes the coach has to be looked at. I do have concerns about the quality of recruits the past few years, however with basketball you can turn that around with one class. I don't know who they all are yet or how this year's recruits will perform next fall. If we hit a home run the program will be trending up again.