Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big XII Tournament

Default Big XII Tournament

Action gets underway at 11am and it is live on FloWrestling. I'll be flipping between B1Gs and the NDSU guys at BXIIs, but I'll provide updates when available.

Quick preview:
    125- 7 AQ spots up for grabs and Binachi sits as the 7 seed. He has a round 1 match vs Fresno State where he will dominate. He then runs into future US Olympian (IMO at least) Taylor Lamont of UVU. Lamont hasn't been healthy lately so there is always a chance Paul gets a medical FF. Big picture today: get 7th place. To do that, he'll have to fend off a challenge Wyoming's Drake Foster. I think Foster is the most likely guy to poach an AQ spot.
    133- 5 AQ spots and Sykora sits as the 6 seed. Cam starts with Iowa State's Markus Simmons, who is actuallly pretty tough. Cam teched him in the dual, but I don't think that represents how tough this one will be. After that, he has Oklahoma State AA Kaid Brock. If he can slow it down on his feet and is prepared for Kaid's slide by's he can compete. Big picture: I think 4th is most realistic for Cam. He can beat both Schmidtt and Montoya (he has crushed Montoya every time they wrestled last year). If seeds hold, he'll have a huge match in the consolation semis.
    141- Midkiff has Monserrat off the bat and while that is winnable, I don't think Midkiff comes out on top. There are maybe 1 or 2 guys that Midkiff might be favored over.
    149- 5 AQ Spot and Gliva sits at 7. This weight is going to be a battle. Having Jeffries not earn a spot hurts this weight a ton. Gliva should cruise in round 1 and then has a huge match vs Lewallen. Lewallen is heavily favored, but I have a suspicion that Gliva wrestles well and gets the defining win of his career. Big picture: Find a way into top 5. I think Turner from Wyoming is likely to drop from the top 5 and Jeffries is 2nd most likely.
    157- Win the tournament and become NDSUs first BXII champ. It will actually be a tough road to do it. Moore from WVU is very tough and when on, is dangerous on his feet. Blaylock in the semis like to keep matches close and low scoring. Key will be to get the first td and wrestle smart. Force Blaylock to get aggressive and score, because that isn't his game. In the finals, whether it is Colgan or Zilverberg, I favor Clay. One to watch is 7 seed Justin Thomas of Oklahoma. I think he's the 4th best guy at the weight and wouldn't be surprised to see him beat Colgan.
    165- 6 AQ Spots and Fogarty sits as the 4 seed. If he wins his quarterfinal, things should be golden. I'll actually be very suprised if anyone breaks into the top 6 from a lower seed.
    174- Hopefully he wins his first match for some team points.
    184- Pestano and Mueller are both favored over Popp, but they're both beatable. Popp could create some noise if he is on.
    197- I hate Cordell's spot IF Seeley is healthy. Should Cordell win round 1, he'd have a rematch with Rotert, who he could have beaten recently.
    HWT- Hopefully big Dan can find his way to the semis. Only problem is that Derek White waits in the semis and he very well may bonus his way through this weight. Only 3 AQ spots available and I give big Dan about a 10% chance to claim one.

B1Gs start now, so I'm out for a bit. Looking forward to a great two days of wrestling and to the Bison hopefully sending 5 guys to NCAAs

Default Re: Big XII Tournament

Bianchi down 4-1 and looking terrible early

Down 6-2 plus RT after 1 to a 7-16 wrestler who hasn't had a winning record in any of his 5 years in college...

Bianchi looks awful on his feet today and that is supposed to be his best position

Paul erased RT and got a TD. Trails 7-5 going to the third (gave up an escape in last 5 secs)

Cam wrestling too

Binachi with an absolutely inexcusable loss 10-6 to start it off

Cam up 3-2 after 1.

No excuse for Bianchi to wrestle that poorly. Terrible execution and apparently terrible job getting him ready to wrestle. That is a terrible loss and pretty much knocks him out of the NCAA tournament

Cam tied 3-3 going to the third. Cam chooses bottom. Gotta move

Cam out and up 4-3 with 90 seconds to go

Simmons with a TD to take the lead 5-4. Minute to go

Cam great finish to win 7-5