Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spring Football

Default Re: 2018 Spring Football

The special teams could certainly improve but the seriousness of the problem is being way overstated - probably because they were so terrible in the JMU game.

Example: Punt return defense is 114th? So what? It's a meaningless stat. Net punting is the one that matters. According to the Sam Houston State game notes, NDSU was 38th in Net Punting going into the semifinal game but finished 80th largely because our punter got hurt in the championship game.

Heck, opponents returned punts for a total of 195 yards or 13 yards per game.

Punt Returns By Game
    4-87 <- JMU
    0-0 SHSU
    1-6 Wofford
    0-0 San Diego
    3-16 Illinois Stae
    0-0 USD
    1-(-1) SDSU
    0-0 UNI
    1-0 WIU
    3-17 YSU
    1-54 <- Indiana State
    1-14 Missouri State
    0-0 Robert Morris
    1-2 EWU
    0-0 MVSU

I'd be OK (but not ecstatic) with finishing 38th in net punting... 80th is bad, but if you take away the JMU game where are punter was hurt and the one botched punt coverage against ISU-Blue, there were only around 50 yards of punt returns all year.

Another meaningless stat is "KO Return Defense." What we really care about it the opponents starting position at the beginning of a drive and apparently there isn't a stat for that. Towson was #1 in KO Return Defense but their average kickoff only went to the 13 yard line whereas NDSU's went inside the 5. Towson's opponents' average starting position after a KO was the 28 while NDS put them at the 24. Anything inside the 25 is a win, as far as I'm concerned.

I really think the coaches will learn from the special team mistakes and take huge leaps to correct them. Remember, 10 years ago we totally sucked at quarterback and that mistake was never repeated. Even though everyone is gone from the QB fiasco I'm sure it's lingering in the back of everyone's mind. I've got faith that the coaches correct, improve, and move on. It's not something I'm even worried about.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

With half the players either out hurt or graduated must make it difficult to get quality practices in.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The special teams could certainly improve but the seriousness of the problem is being way overstated - probably because they were so terrible in the JMU game.

Example: Punt return defense is 114th? So what? It's a meaningless stat. Net punting is the one that matters. According to the Sam Houston State game notes, NDSU was 38th in Net Punting going into the semifinal game but finished 80th largely because our punter got hurt in the championship game.

Punt Returns By Game
    4-87 <- JMU
    0-0 SHSU
    1-6 Wofford
    0-0 San Diego
    3-16 Illinois Stae
    0-0 USD
    1-(-1) SDSU
    0-0 UNI
    1-0 WIU
    3-17 YSU
    1-54 <- Indiana State
    1-14 Missouri State
    0-0 Robert Morris
    1-2 EWU
    0-0 MVSU

I'd be OK (but not ecstatic) with finishing 38th in net punting... 80th is bad, but if you take away the JMU game where are punter was hurt and the one botched punt coverage against ISU-Blue, there were only around 50 yards of punt returns all year.

Another meaningless stat is "KO Return Defense." What we really care about it the opponents starting position at the beginning of a drive and apparently there isn't a stat for that. Towson was #1 in KO Return Defense but their average kickoff only went to the 13 yard line whereas NDSU's went inside the 5. Towson's opponents' average starting position after a KO was the 28 while NDS put them at the 24. Anything inside the 25 is a win, as far as I'm concerned.
    Yea we didn't give up many punt return yards because our punter could only kick it 35 yards. I think we took it for granted the last few years and didn't focus on recruiting a punter so we had to settle for someone that couldn't cut it at another program. I hope the coaches realize how important it is to have good kickers, they can change a game too. Hopefully we can find some returners that can also give us big plays and not just fair catch the punts. Can't always rely on offense and defense and settle for below average st.

Not saying we can't imptove or should have been better in the NC game but JMU was pretty salty all around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    When you review the stats posted above in this thread it truly speaks volumes for just how great that defense was last year. Homer or no Homer, with the FCS talent NDSU has on that roster there is NO EXCUSE for the terrible special teams stats. I felt special teams were putrid all year but I never would have guessed actual statistics that ridiculously poor. Coaches think nothing of benching players for shitty reviews, why should they be treated any different? Klieman should sit his coach down and simply state "You have 3 minutes to explain to me WHY you should have a job moving forward?" Or, he could give him a big hug and say "don't worry, things will get better if we just ride it out"!!!! LOL.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

Punt Returns By Game
    4-87 <- JMU
    0-0 SHSU
    1-6 Wofford
    0-0 San Diego
    3-16 Illinois Stae
    0-0 USD
    1-(-1) SDSU
    0-0 UNI
    1-0 WIU
    3-17 YSU
    1-54 <- Indiana State
    1-14 Missouri State
    0-0 Robert Morris
    1-2 EWU
    0-0 MVSU

Yep. It was just average all year and shitty in the last game. Certainly we need to improve though.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 03-24-2018 at 05:12 AM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Any announcement yet about fan tailgating prior to the spring game? When do lots open? What is the problem with announcing this at the same time as all the other activities were annonuced? I am coming from out of town and need to make plans.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Any announcement yet about fan tailgating prior to the spring game? When do lots open? What is the problem with announcing this at the same time as all the other activities were annonuced? I am coming from out of town and need to make plans.
    I think the fact that it is on Friday night will mean no tailgating.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I think the fact that it is on Friday night will mean no tailgating.
    If that is true no tailgating, what a pile of Bullshit