Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spring Football

Default Re: 2018 Spring Football

Quote Originally Posted by wisco4 View Post
    So what is the biggest concern for the 2018 team? Middle linebacker, free safety, wide receiver, backup qb or depth?
    In my opinion it's WR. No more Legendowski. Shepherd regressed last year be it due to injury or otherwise. Cain didn't make the impact, even late in the season, that most of us hoped he would make. Both Williams and Freeman seem to be low ceiling guys. The Sean Engel situation. Christian Watson seemed to be the guy most were pegging as the one to solidify the WR corps but he's out all spring now.

The good news is this team is so good elsewhere I don't think it really matters if the WRs are just average but if they can get Shepherd to return to his 2015/2016 form and get 1 or 2 of those other guys to take a big step forward this team will be even more beastly on offense.

So what is the biggest concern for the 2018 team? Middle linebacker, free safety, wide receiver, backup qb or depth?
    Backup QB, Kicking/Punting, LB Depth.

That's my top 3.

WR/TE is probably an honorable mention but I have faith enough players step up to provide enough passing threats to fulfill the needs of the Bison offensive strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by cme2012 View Post
    I believe there are 10 available for the spring game. That's the way I understand it anyway.
    True, but I just screwed up... I wasn't counting centers. I'd say "D'oh" except that I'm glad to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Yeah, keep them healthy and that'll be a tough group to beat.

Only worrying this is that there are only 10 OL on the roster. JMU, for instance, has 18 OL on their roster.
    JMU needs more lineman for when they get booted from the game for going MMA ground and pound style.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    In my opinion it's WR. No more Legendowski. Shepherd regressed last year be it due to injury or otherwise. Cain didn't make the impact, even late in the season, that most of us hoped he would make. Both Williams and Freeman seem to be low ceiling guys. The Sean Engel situation. Christian Watson seemed to be the guy most were pegging as the one to solidify the WR corps but he's out all spring now.

The good news is this team is so good elsewhere I don't think it really matters if the WRs are just average but if they can get Shepherd to return to his 2015/2016 form and get 1 or 2 of those other guys to take a big step forward this team will be even more beastly on offense.
    I agree. Not sure what his lack of impact could be attributed to but the few times he did get the ball you could see how his athleticism made him an FBS player. Hopefully he can make some strides his senior season.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post

I agree. Not sure what his lack of impact could be attributed to but the few times he did get the ball you could see how his athleticism made him an FBS player. Hopefully he can make some strides his senior season.
    Cain just wasn't targeted that often and when he was there were so many uncalled defensive holds and pass interference calls. I was frustrated for him. I think there is plenty of untapped production to gain from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post

Cain just wasn't targeted that often and when he was there were so many uncalled defensive holds and pass interference calls. I was frustrated for him. I think there is plenty of untapped production to gain from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    True, but I just screwed up... I wasn't counting centers. I'd say "D'oh" except that I'm glad to be wrong.
    Center, schmenter.....

I feel confident in the lb group especially if marlette is back like he was playing last year. I think special teams is the biggest question mark. That was by far our biggest weakness last year. Hopefully the wrs will step up but I think they don't seem to have good years based on the offense we run and limited number of opportunities that they get. Both lines should be really good and the secondary could be great.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Always look forward every year to see how our WR's will look and how effective they can be within our offense. For a group that just doesn't get targeted as often as some of the other high flying offenses we see within college football, and that have the expectation to be better blockers sometimes than receivers, how great is it when they are called upon during a big moment that they almost always execute. I think of the USD game and the big catches Dimitri had. A big game from Freeman at ISU-blue(?). And how can we forget about probably the biggest play of the championship game, the deep pass to Shep. Not only was it a clutch catch in a big time opportunity, it was his first TD of the entire season. He just quietly did his job, whether hurt or not, and put the team first all year. Was rewarded with an absolute dime piece from Easton!! Excited to see the young guys step in and push the older guys.
    Go Bison!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1