Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spring Football

Default Re: 2018 Spring Football

I think it has to do with all our injuries last year. Hard to crush some teams when your 2's and 3's are starting. I'm proud of them as they grew up and did a damn good job to get us another NC.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Summer strength and conditions is more important for Bison football for all players IMO. We have lost out majorly on winter workouts the last many years and it has showed with NDSU not dominating the 4th qtr over the last several year imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think the fellas on the team would say the have missed many winter workouts, I wouldn't ask them right now anyways. Kramer still getting after it.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    Is it that winter workouts are affected or the fact that other teams are catching up? I guess I don't know the answer. But I do agree we don't have that 4th quarter edge that we use to have.

Maybe it's more perception than actual reality since all things aren't equal. For example, in 13' it seemed like we'd crush teams in the 4th but that team was so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    I think it has to do with all our injuries last year. Hard to crush some teams when your 2's and 3's are starting. I'm proud of them as they grew up and did a damn good job to get us another NC.
    Despite the injuries last year's team stacked up very well by the numbers with 2013.

Category 2013 2017
    Average points 38.7 38.7
    Average points allowed 11.3 11.6
    Total yards per game 457.7 450.3
    Total yards allowed per game 262.6 237.4
    Yards per pass 8.3 9.0
    Yards per pass allowed 5.6 5.4
    Pass efficiency 165.2 163.2
    Defensive pass efficiency 97.6 91.7
    Rush yards per game 257.7 273.7
    Rush yards allowed per game 91.3 89.5
    Yards per carry 5.96 5.96
    Opponents yards per carry 2.91 2.88
    Average TOP 33:53 33:43
    3rd down conversions 55.7% 48.7%
    3rd down conversion defense 26.3% 26.7%
    Turnover margin +5 +19

The 2013 team, to my recollection, only had one significant injury and that was Grant Olson's ACL (which didn't happen until game 9). Imagine what last year's team could've done if you could've put back in all but 1 of these guys for the whole year: Greg Menard, Dillon Radunz, Dan Marlette, Lance Dunn, Ty Brooks

Of course 2013 will always have the edge when comparing these two teams due to the goose egg in the "L" column and the FBS win but the 2017 team was one of the best Bison teams of all time by any measure.

Summer strength and conditions is more important for Bison football for all players IMO. We have lost out majorly on winter workouts the last many years and it has showed with NDSU not dominating the 4th qtr over the last several year imo.
    I think I'd put it more on other teams catching up to us athletically. If we're getting better players than we've ever had before, it'd be hard not to think other teams are as well. A rising tide raises all ships.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I think I'd put it more on other teams catching up to us athletically. If we're getting better players than we've ever had before, it'd be hard not to think other teams are as well. A rising tide raises all ships.
    I agree with this assessment. I know it is fun to compare years but you really can't due to teams talent changing from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the lack of domination has more to do with the other teams recruiting to beat us like we did with uni. Plus most teams now have strength and conditioning coaches. They saw what it did for us and the followed suit. No huffy puffy in the 4th.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Despite the injuries last year's team stacked up very well by the numbers with 2013.

Category 2013 2017
    Average points 38.7 38.7
    Average points allowed 11.3 11.6
    Total yards per game 457.7 450.3
    Total yards allowed per game 262.6 237.4
    Yards per pass 8.3 9.0
    Yards per pass allowed 5.6 5.4
    Pass efficiency 165.2 163.2
    Defensive pass efficiency 97.6 91.7
    Rush yards per game 257.7 273.7
    Rush yards allowed per game 91.3 89.5
    Yards per carry 5.96 5.96
    Opponents yards per carry 2.91 2.88
    Average TOP 33:53 33:43
    3rd down conversions 55.7% 48.7%
    3rd down conversion defense 26.3% 26.7%
    Turnover margin +5 +19

The 2013 team, to my recollection, only had one significant injury and that was Grant Olson's ACL (which didn't happen until game 9). Imagine what last year's team could've done if you could've put back in all but 1 of these guys for the whole year: Greg Menard, Dillon Radunz, Dan Marlette, Lance Dunn, Ty Brooks

Of course 2013 will always have the edge when comparing these two teams due to the goose egg in the "L" column and the FBS win but the 2017 team was one of the best Bison teams of all time by any measure.
    The +19 compared to +5 is an impressive stat.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    The +19 compared to +5 is an impressive stat.
    Yes but remember the TWO cupcakes in non conference schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    2013 had two OOC cupcakes as well... in fact one was a D2 team.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    3 actually... EWU.

We had two in 13' as well, Delaware State and Ferris State. I was thinking in my mind Ferris State was closer than it was (56-10 final score).