Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: SDSU Dual, 16 Feb

Default Re: SDSU Dual, 16 Feb

7-2 Gliva after 2 and he has RT.

Gliva gives up a late TD but still wins 7-4.

SDSU wins 22-12

We are not a very good team and we have too many soft spots in our lineup. We are not very aggressive. It seemed like for a couple of decades we owned SDSU but Bono has changed things. I have to admit I am not impressed with Kish's coaching and building a lineup. Kish has not recruited an all American as our head coach. Maybe Ream will make it this year. Fogerty has the talent but his toughness and possibly desire seems to have limited him some. I am hoping that Metz, Schearer and maybe Van mannen improve the team. We do need improvement at 41 a 133 true freshman shouldn't be our answer.

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    We are not a very good team and we have too many soft spots in our lineup. We are not very aggressive. It seemed like for a couple of decades we owned SDSU but Bono has changed things. I have to admit I am not impressed with Kish's coaching and building a lineup. Kish has not recruited an all American as our head coach. Maybe Ream will make it this year. Fogerty has the talent but his toughness and possibly desire seems to have limited him some. I am hoping that Metz, Schearer and maybe Van mannen improve the team. We do need improvement at 41 a 133 true freshman shouldn't be our answer.

This here.

Kish does not seem like a coach that can recruit.

As a team, you're right, this team is bad. A few decent individuals but way too many soft spots for sure. There isn't one AA in this lineup this year.

SDSU passing the Bison is a travesty and it is all because of Bono and his dynamic personality/coaching style.

IMO, Kish is not the answer, but I'm just one fan with an outside opinion.

Will anything change?

Some young guys coming in might help. Hopefully they can get the Burwick kid from Hettinger to come. There are a lot of very good HS wrestlers from this region and Kish needs to get some of them. 200-300 at home duals is a joke. Bono brings in over 2K down there.

I thought wrestling would be the sport that would produce the most success moving up but has the biggest disappointment IMO.

Overall thoughts:
    125- Bianchi wrestled poorly. He still struggles on the bottom, usually doesn't do well in scramble situations, and looks smaller than most 125 pounders. He's serviceable and may well make it to the NCAA tournament this year, but his ceiling is limited until he cleans some things up.
    133- Cam wrestled really well for the first two minutes. Gross is great and will win an NCAA title in a month. I still expect Cam to make it to NCAAs, and really want ot see him get another crack at Bridges
    141- Midkiff is just too small at 141. He battles, but when he makes freshman mistakes, he doesn't have the size and strength to overcome them. A redshirt will do him well next year.
    149- Gliva looked great until the third period. Dual was over and he was going to win, but I'd rather see him bury the kid. Now Carlson has some momentum and confidence should they meet at B12s
    157- I didn't think Clay was all that sharp and he still found a way to beat a top 10-12 guy. Z had a great game plan, but when he started to bite on Clay's shot fakes, that's when Clay started having success.
    165- I thought Fogarty wrestled very poorly. He won, but had no urgency, was sloppy, and had really bad shot defense. He has been really up and down this year.
    174- Urbach was just over-matched. Kocer has come a long way from the true freshman who was overmatched rountinely by Kurtis Julson. Like Julson, I think he goes out as an AA. He's really solid, hard working, and fun to watch.
    184- Popp wrestled well. He had the better gas tank and had some really nice attacks. I don't see why he can't beat Mueller if they meet at B12s. Despite being really undersized at 184, I love his fight.
    197- Eaton wrestled really conservatively and it work. He had a great chance to take the lead with thirty seconds left and essentially seal the match. Instead, he almost looked surprised that he got in so deep and just froze, and Rotert got the stalemate and ultimately the win.
    HWT- Dan dominated Macki. I was wrong about this one going in, but Dan had a great game plan, executed it flawlessly, and left no doubt. Good match.

Coaching: Hated the choice to put Clay neutral in the third. Yeah, he looked much better on his feet than Z in the 2nd, but I'd always take the escape. Z would've likely wound up not being able to ride Clay or cutting him. Good learning spot at 133 too. Have to expect Cam does better than he did in the 2nd period, but maybe next time don't defer and ensure he gets a chance on top. That's a minor quibble too. Great challenge during Fogarty's match. Might have made the difference in him winning or losing and the camera angle was good to see the whizzer.

Team: Decent performance. This is the best SDSU will look for a while and we were competitive. They lose Macki, Rotert, Kocer, Zilverberg, and key depth in Andrade and Ayers. They essentially have nobody to replace either Rotert or Macki either and the guys at 157 and 174 might be solid, but they'll be nowhere near what they had.

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post

There isn't one AA in this lineup this year.
    It could play out this way, but I'm still giving Clay a 50/50 chance. I think he's been very solid this season, and he's been pulling out close wins over good guys. I'm sure he will have extra motivation after his disappointing finish last year.

I wish I could disagree about the recruiting, but based on the rankings of our commits, we aren't keeping up with the other teams in the conference. It looks like Iowa State is just about even with Oklahoma State in that battle, and SDSU isn't far behind them.

Utah Valley and Northern Colorado have been pulling in some real blue chippers too.

As far as Clay AAing: He will be the #1 seed in the B12 tournament. If he wins that, he'll be the #8 seed at NCAAs at worst, maybe even as high as 6th. The only guys I really don't like his odds against are Nolf, Kemerer, and Pantaleo. I'd favor Jordan, Hidlay, and Lavallee over Clay, but those guys aren't unbeatable. He's beaten Shields before, Berger hasn't looked the same this year, and Clay has pretty much beat everyone else. The seeds will be important, but if Clay wrestles to his full capability, he AAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Utah Valley and Northern Colorado have been pulling in some real blue chippers too.
    For Utah Valley, are you referring to guys like Taylor LaMont that are already there? They were the only Big XII team that I couldn't find anywhere in the latest Intermat high school rankings?

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    For Utah Valley, are you referring to guys like Taylor LaMont that are already there? They were the only Big XII team that I couldn't find anywhere in the latest Intermat high school rankings?
    Yes. The last couple years they brought Romero in from Boise State and he'll be a qualifier for 3 years. Lamont is a likely AA and could wind up high on the podium and a legitimate blue chip recruit. They're the two big ones, but Springsteen might turn into a pretty dangerous guy. His brother is wrestling great for former NDSU wrestler Adam Aho at U Mary. They get a lot of athletic guys from the West that get overlooked because they don't compete in the big tourneys out East.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Yes. The last couple years they brought Romero in from Boise State and he'll be a qualifier for 3 years. Lamont is a likely AA and could wind up high on the podium and a legitimate blue chip recruit. They're the two big ones, but Springsteen might turn into a pretty dangerous guy. His brother is wrestling great for former NDSU wrestler Adam Aho at U Mary. They get a lot of athletic guys from the West that get overlooked because they don't compete in the big tourneys out East.
    Don’t be shocker if Taylor makes the Senior Greco-Roman World Team this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!