Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Dual, 16 Feb

Default SDSU Dual, 16 Feb

NDSU travels to SDSU to take on the heavily favored Jackrabbits on Friday. SDSU has been substantially better than NDSU again this year, but NDSU doesn't match up poorly with the Bunnies. NDSU realistic could notch wins at any of 125, 141, 149, 157, 165, and HWT, and IF they did that, they'd win the dual. With that said, SDSU has substantially outperformed NDSU this year and have been the much more consistent team. My prediction based on what I think the matchups will be:
    125- Bianchi dec Brown, 3-0 NDSU. Brown won the first matchup between the two, but Paul has been wrestling better than he was the first month of the season. Toss up that I'm giving to Bianchi and NDSU. Key will be quick finishes on his takedowns so Brown can't get funky.
    133- Gross tech fall Midkiff, 5-3 SDSU. Could be a fall for SDSU. I'm assuming that NDSU bumps Sykora up to 141 to face Pohlmeyer, just like they did last year. If Sykora is at 133, I'd change this to a major decision. This prediction assumes that NDSU has Cam bump up and that Midkiff has been weighing in low enough lately to wrestle 133 (Which I have no clue if they have). If Midkiff isn't allowed to make the cut, could see Lara or Cam here.
    141- Sykora dec Pohlmeyer, 6-5 NDSU. Again, I'm assuming they bump Sykora up. Early in the year Sam Hampton dominated Pohlmeyer and won by 14. Maybe we see him back in the lineup, but I doubt it. Pohlmeyer has been wrestling pretty well of late and I would not be the least bit surprised to see Pohlmeyer win, or major, Nico or Midkiff.
    149- Gliva maj Carlson, 10-5 NDSU. Not sure whether Carlson or Andrade will be in the lineup, but Carlson did catch Gliva and pin him earlier this year. That being said, Carlson has had a poor year and Gliva should pick him apart. One turn and he should get a major.
    157- Ream dec Zilverberg, 13-5 NDSU. Matchup of the night here. Clay already beat Z earlier this year, but Z is tough. The thing that worries me in this one is Z has a propensity to take very quick shots right after the whistle, and Clay can be flat footed in these scenarios at times. Whoever wins the matchup on the feet wins this match.
    165- Fogarty dec Peterson, 16-5 NDSU. Fogarty could win by more than a regular decision here, but I think Peterson will simply be trying to limit the damage.
    174- Kocer maj Urbach, 16-9 NDSU. Kocer is just so much better than anyone we have here. A win for us would be keeping this to a decision.
    184- Mueller dec Popp, 16-12 NDSU. Mueller is probably favored by major, but I'm hoping Popp can keep this one closer. Popp will have to be careful with his ties and upper body stuff, as Mueller is comfortable there.
    197- Rotert dec Eaton, 16-15 NDSU. Another match where SDSU is a strong favorite and could definitely win by major or more. A healthy Rotert is really tough.
    HWT- Macki dec Stibral, 18-16 SDSU. 1st time I've EVER expected Macki to win. While he still isn't good, he has been really clutch for SDSU at home this year. Big Dan can definitely win this match, but I'm giving it to Macki because of two things. 1. The home crowd of idiots is really loud and get a few calls every dual that they don't deserve. 2. Macki is a little smarter/more efficient at when he attacks. If Dan takes a bad shot (which happens fairly often), Macki is quick enough to get a go behind. If the dual is on the line and he gets a lead, the crowd will be reallllly loud and yelling for stalling no matter what is actually happening. Sad thing is a lot of refs knuckle under and give the call.

I don't think 18-16 is all that outrageous, but the way these two teams have performed this year suggests that SDSU will win a blowout. NDSU matches up well, but they've been losing a lot of matches and duals in disappointing fashion since early January. Odds are the final score is closer to 25-10 for SDSU.

WrestleStat has it 26-7 for SDSU. https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/...h-dakota-state

Default Re: SDSU Dual, 16 Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    NDSU travels to SDSU to take on the heavily favored Jackrabbits on Friday. SDSU has been substantially better than NDSU again this year, but NDSU doesn't match up poorly with the Bunnies. NDSU realistic could notch wins at any of 125, 141, 149, 157, 165, and HWT, and IF they did that, they'd win the dual. With that said, SDSU has substantially outperformed NDSU this year and have been the much more consistent team. My prediction based on what I think the matchups will be:
    125- Bianchi dec Brown, 3-0 NDSU. Brown won the first matchup between the two, but Paul has been wrestling better than he was the first month of the season. Toss up that I'm giving to Bianchi and NDSU. Key will be quick finishes on his takedowns so Brown can't get funky.
    133- Gross tech fall Midkiff, 5-3 SDSU. Could be a fall for SDSU. I'm assuming that NDSU bumps Sykora up to 141 to face Pohlmeyer, just like they did last year. If Sykora is at 133, I'd change this to a major decision. This prediction assumes that NDSU has Cam bump up and that Midkiff has been weighing in low enough lately to wrestle 133 (Which I have no clue if they have). If Midkiff isn't allowed to make the cut, could see Lara or Cam here.
    141- Sykora dec Pohlmeyer, 6-5 NDSU. Again, I'm assuming they bump Sykora up. Early in the year Sam Hampton dominated Pohlmeyer and won by 14. Maybe we see him back in the lineup, but I doubt it. Pohlmeyer has been wrestling pretty well of late and I would not be the least bit surprised to see Pohlmeyer win, or major, Nico or Midkiff.
    149- Gliva maj Carlson, 10-5 NDSU. Not sure whether Carlson or Andrade will be in the lineup, but Carlson did catch Gliva and pin him earlier this year. That being said, Carlson has had a poor year and Gliva should pick him apart. One turn and he should get a major.
    157- Ream dec Zilverberg, 13-5 NDSU. Matchup of the night here. Clay already beat Z earlier this year, but Z is tough. The thing that worries me in this one is Z has a propensity to take very quick shots right after the whistle, and Clay can be flat footed in these scenarios at times. Whoever wins the matchup on the feet wins this match.
    165- Fogarty dec Peterson, 16-5 NDSU. Fogarty could win by more than a regular decision here, but I think Peterson will simply be trying to limit the damage.
    174- Kocer maj Urbach, 16-9 NDSU. Kocer is just so much better than anyone we have here. A win for us would be keeping this to a decision.
    184- Mueller dec Popp, 16-12 NDSU. Mueller is probably favored by major, but I'm hoping Popp can keep this one closer. Popp will have to be careful with his ties and upper body stuff, as Mueller is comfortable there.
    197- Rotert dec Eaton, 16-15 NDSU. Another match where SDSU is a strong favorite and could definitely win by major or more. A healthy Rotert is really tough.
    HWT- Macki dec Stibral, 18-16 SDSU. 1st time I've EVER expected Macki to win. While he still isn't good, he has been really clutch for SDSU at home this year. Big Dan can definitely win this match, but I'm giving it to Macki because of two things. 1. The home crowd of idiots is really loud and get a few calls every dual that they don't deserve. 2. Macki is a little smarter/more efficient at when he attacks. If Dan takes a bad shot (which happens fairly often), Macki is quick enough to get a go behind. If the dual is on the line and he gets a lead, the crowd will be reallllly loud and yelling for stalling no matter what is actually happening. Sad thing is a lot of refs knuckle under and give the call.

I don't think 18-16 is all that outrageous, but the way these two teams have performed this year suggests that SDSU will win a blowout. NDSU matches up well, but they've been losing a lot of matches and duals in disappointing fashion since early January. Odds are the final score is closer to 25-10 for SDSU.

WrestleStat has it 26-7 for SDSU. https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/...h-dakota-state
    Great breakdown, I'll disagree to an extent on the stalling and crowd involvement...we(Jack fans) have our fair share of fans that call for it waaaaay too early this in turn gets the ref thinking the other way, almost like they wait an extra 10-15 to give the warning. We have had some great crowds this year and I encourage Bison fans to come down.

I'm hopeful Sykora and Gross are the 133 matchup, I think both would benefit greatly going in to tournament season working against each other. That said, Pohlmeyer has been tough as of late so that would be a good match as well. The marquees matchup is Ream/Zilverberg...Zilverberg and the Jacks alike are an aggressive team but if the quick shots aren't happening they get off their game a little. When that seems to happen their defense is suspect. I've seen quite a few give up their legs and easy takedowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    Great breakdown, I'll disagree to an extent on the stalling and crowd involvement...we(Jack fans) have our fair share of fans that call for it waaaaay too early this in turn gets the ref thinking the other way, almost like they wait an extra 10-15 to give the warning. We have had some great crowds this year and I encourage Bison fans to come down.

I'm hopeful Sykora and Gross are the 133 matchup, I think both would benefit greatly going in to tournament season working against each other. That said, Pohlmeyer has been tough as of late so that would be a good match as well. The marquees matchup is Ream/Zilverberg...Zilverberg and the Jacks alike are an aggressive team but if the quick shots aren't happening they get off their game a little. When that seems to happen their defense is suspect. I've seen quite a few give up their legs and easy takedowns.
    I can see that to an extent at times, but I look back to the 165 match vs UNI. Peterson got 3 or 4 stall calls despite doing nothing all match and the fans screaming all match for it. On your side though, in that same dual Kocer was awarded no stall points despite creating all the action vs Lujan. Maybe it was bad reffing or maybe you're right and the ref didn't call them because of the fans.

As far as 133, if the goal is to win the dual, I think NDSU should bump Cam up to face Pohlmeyer like they did last year. Anyone else NDSU throws out at 133 will be lucky to escape with a tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I can see that to an extent at times, but I look back to the 165 match vs UNI. Peterson got 3 or 4 stall calls despite doing nothing all match and the fans screaming all match for it. On your side though, in that same dual Kocer was awarded no stall points despite creating all the action vs Lujan. Maybe it was bad reffing or maybe you're right and the ref didn't call them because of the fans.

As far as 133, if the goal is to win the dual, I think NDSU should bump Cam up to face Pohlmeyer like they did last year. Anyone else NDSU throws out at 133 will be lucky to escape with a tech.
    It'll be interesting to see which weight class starts it out. I'm hoping for 165, I'd love to see Ream/Zilverberg end the match.

UNI was one dual I couldn't make so I can't speak to it but I know we, as a fanbase in general are quick to call for stalling. Personally I'd prefer to let the ref give the warning first and then if nothing is happening after that then maybe the fans can pipe up but you cannot control that.

I'm also looking forward to 125...Brown didn't have a good road trip last week, I'd say that could be an active match with Bianchi. Worth noting as well that these two could be building up a decent rivalry and will more than likely be battling each other the next 3 years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    It'll be interesting to see which weight class starts it out. I'm hoping for 165, I'd love to see Ream/Zilverberg end the match.

UNI was one dual I couldn't make so I can't speak to it but I know we, as a fanbase in general are quick to call for stalling. Personally I'd prefer to let the ref give the warning first and then if nothing is happening after that then maybe the fans can pipe up but you cannot control that.

I'm also looking forward to 125...Brown didn't have a good road trip last week, I'd say that could be an active match with Bianchi. Worth noting as well that these two could be building up a decent rivalry and will more than likely be battling each other the next 3 years as well.
    Yep, those are the two matches I'm most looking forward to. Brown has shown much better scrambling ability than Bianchi, but Paul's attacks have looked better. I'd be on board with starting at 165 too! Have the premier match go last and it could help SDSU get Gross a better match. I feel like NDSU would be more likely to put Sykora out at 133 if the dual were already out of hand, but that won't happen if they start at 125.

Well folks the 157 lb matchup will start tonight’s dual. Let the fun begin.

Looks like Lara weighed in at 125 too, so he could be in at 133.

Clay and Z trade trade TDs but Z with a late reversal to lead 4-3 after 1

Z was doing a great job of downblocking and keeop clay from creating space for his shot.

Clay late TD to tie it up 5-5 and clay will start neutral in the third. Clay has 54 sec of RT and has looked better than Z on the feet