Page 125 of 455 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 4542

Thread: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Easton Stick

Stick is a better all around athlete than either Wentz or Jensen were, at least at the college level. Honestly in that regard, I don't even think it is close. He is also a student of the game. He puts in the study time and physical prep before games and in the offseason. While not at CW's level for this trait (who is???), he is WAY more committed to this than most kids. He will also have the most (or close to it) QB gameday snaps taken of any QB in college history by the time he's done so strong experience is on his side. Remember CW basically only started for a year and a half prior to being drafted. ES will have much more film to get coaches comfortable with him. If ES had the exact same skillset and experience but was also 2 or 3 inches taller, we'd probably be having a different conversation.

While I agree with many that there are limits to the connections between Carson and Easton, scouts won't have to vacillate much anymore on the level of competition in the FCS and the style of offense played at NDSU. Essentially, those major hurdles that CW had to overcome will be (somewhat) non-issues for ES.

Assuming that he has a stellar year this year, I think its fair to say that he has a better than decent chance at landing on a team in the NFL, potentially as an eventual starter on a team that can put the time in to develop him a bit more. If he shits the bed this season, which would really surprise me, all bets are off.

Hell, right now (before his senior season) I can think of around 4 or 5 starting QB's and most of the backups with which he could compete strongly. Here's some names that I can list just off the top of my head:
    Tyrod Taylor
    Drew Stanton
    The Kizer kid from Cleveland
    Brett Hundley
    Jacoby Brissett
    Blake Bortles
    Pat Mahomes
    Shawn Mannion
    Jay Cutler (of 2017, not 2008)
    Bryce Petty
    Landry Jones
    A whole host of other guys that are good athletes but not really good QB's.

On a side note, I personally think he's a good enough athlete and a smart enough kid to potentially make a team even if not at QB.

What's really crazy is that this discussion started in last year's offseason, BEFORE his junior season. After his worst 2 years, some folks were starting to see it, even if it was with their green and gold glasses on. The cool thing is that he likely has his best year ahead of him!! Focus on that!!
    Insert something clever here...

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I'd place his chances at the next level between that of Wetnz and Jensen. That means between a first year starter, second year league MVP candidate and a UDFA who made preseason training camp but missed final roster cuts.

I expect him to be closer to Jensen than Wentz, but it doesn't take much to do a little better than Jensen and make it past the final roster cut.

I hope to see him on an NFL sideline in a couple of years and I don't think that is too wide eyed a proposition considering the comparisons mentioned above. He has the physical tools which I think is an absolute must to make it to the NFL, and I think that's where Jensen fell short. Stick can make the throws and that's what opens that first door.
    I agree with this. Brock was with the Dolphins and their pass-happy offense was just looking for "the arm." Brock wasn't that guy, despite the improvements he made post-NDSU. If Easton gets into the right setting, he could make it. It's a matter of talent AND luck, as anyone who has landed in Cleveland would attest.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Stick is a better all around athlete than either Wentz or Jensen were, at least at the college level. Honestly in that regard, I don't even think it is close. He is also a student of the game. He puts in the study time and physical prep before games and in the offseason. While not at CW's level for this trait (who is???), he is WAY more committed to this than most kids. He will also have the most (or close to it) QB gameday snaps taken of any QB in college history by the time he's done so strong experience is on his side. Remember CW basically only started for a year and a half prior to being drafted. ES will have much more film to get coaches comfortable with him. If ES had the exact same skillset and experience but was also 2 or 3 inches taller, we'd probably be having a different conversation.

While I agree with many that there are limits to the connections between Carson and Easton, scouts won't have to vacillate much anymore on the level of competition in the FCS and the style of offense played at NDSU. Essentially, those major hurdles that CW had to overcome will be (somewhat) non-issues for ES.

Assuming that he has a stellar year this year, I think its fair to say that he has a better than decent chance at landing on a team in the NFL, potentially as an eventual starter on a team that can put the time in to develop him a bit more. If he shits the bed this season, which would really surprise me, all bets are off.

Hell, right now (before his senior season) I can think of around 4 or 5 starting QB's and most of the backups with which he could compete strongly. Here's some names that I can list just off the top of my head:
    Tyrod Taylor
    Drew Stanton
    The Kizer kid from Cleveland
    Brett Hundley
    Jacoby Brissett
    Blake Bortles
    Pat Mahomes
    Shawn Mannion
    Jay Cutler (of 2017, not 2008)
    Bryce Petty
    Landry Jones
    A whole host of other guys that are good athletes but not really good QB's.

On a side note, I personally think he's a good enough athlete and a smart enough kid to potentially make a team even if not at QB.

What's really crazy is that this discussion started in last year's offseason, BEFORE his junior season. After his worst 2 years, some folks were starting to see it, even if it was with their green and gold glasses on. The cool thing is that he likely has his best year ahead of him!! Focus on that!!
    That statement is highly debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    I like Stick, but he is not going to make a NFL team.
    I'm not generally a betting man, but that is something I'd be willing to bet against. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that. I think the same hurdles will be brought up. They'll just say that CW was an exception to the rule.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    I'm not generally a betting man, but that is something I'd be willing to bet against. Are you?
    I suppose. I hate to bet against the guy but:

1. Must be on a NFL team for 1 contract year.
    2. Case of domestic beer up for grabs.

I suppose. I hate to bet against the guy but:

1. Must be on a NFL team for 1 contract year.
    2. Case of domestic beer up for grabs.
    Game on! I'll even waive the concession for injuries or anything. I am confident enough that he'll end up staying healthy AND end up on a 53-man roster by the start of the 2019 season. You might need to remind me of this, but I won't welch if I lose.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Game on! I'll even waive the concession for injuries or anything. I am confident enough that he'll end up staying healthy AND end up on a 53-man roster by the start of the 2019 season. You might need to remind me of this, but I won't welch if I lose.
    I think you made a very safe bet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think you made a very safe bet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    How can I lose? Stick is either in the NFL or I get a case of beer. Win Win.

How can I lose?
    The Browns could draft him.