Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching moves 2018

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Coaching moves 2018

At what point do we exhale with respect to our coaches and assistants moving on? It's getting late in the coaching carousel season for them to be announcing moves, is it not?

Default Re: Coaching moves 2018

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    At what point do we exhale with respect to our coaches and assistants moving on? It's getting late in the coaching carousel season for them to be announcing moves, is it not?
    Yes, i think so. Most new head coaches are in place and have had plenty of time to round out staffs. Looks like another phenomenal year of lack of turnover. I hope folks realize how remarkable that is in FCS football. Credit clearly goes to Coach K, being a coach they must love to work with, and Matt L. for paying them enough not to have a reason to leave. My only concern I have is do we have the next head coach on staff?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Yes, i think so. Most new head coaches are in place and have had plenty of time to round out staffs. Looks like another phenomenal year of lack of turnover. I hope folks realize how remarkable that is in FCS football. Credit clearly goes to Coach K, being a coach they must love to work with, and Matt L. for paying them enough not to have a reason to leave. My only concern I have is do we have the next head coach on staff?

I absolutely do not understand why we would need our next coach to be on staff...or why that is a "concern." I personally think we have some awesome coaches...clearly they are. Why do we always need a coach in waiting? We are NDSU. We have become a national brand during this run. You don't think the list would be impressive based on Fargo, location, what we pay, cost of attendance, facilities, history, tradition? I bet you the list of people wanting their first head coaching job would be impressive. Least of my concerns anyway. Currently thrilled we have not lost a coach, but if we do, we are ready to reload just like last time or the time before.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    tradition
    Keeping it that is why!

Looking at it from the AD perspective, when you have broken the code you don't try to mess with it to much. Hopefully whoever is the next head coach down the road keeps a previous NDSU flavor to help with how things are done. Many ways that can happen. It is just reality that you have to look to the what ifs and what could happen. All businesses have a bit of a pucker factor with wholesale managment changes.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I absolutely do not understand why we would need our next coach to be on staff...or why that is a "concern." I personally think we have some awesome coaches...clearly they are. Why do we always need a coach in waiting? We are NDSU. We have become a national brand during this run. You don't think the list would be impressive based on Fargo, location, what we pay, cost of attendance, facilities, history, tradition? I bet you the list of people wanting their first head coaching job would be impressive. Least of my concerns anyway. Currently thrilled we have not lost a coach, but if we do, we are ready to reload just like last time or the time before.
    I do agree, the next coach doesn't necessarily have to be on staff. Depending on when that occurs it definitely makes the process a little more smooth. Bohl to Klieman, for example. Any coaching change will more than likely take place during December and the whole recruiting aspect has changed with the early signing period.

I don't disagree, but there was no guarantee that CK was going to be this good. He has been amazing. But there were no promises. To me the key would be to keep a couple coaches. If Tyler is on staff, we are Bison. He gives the WHY BISON speech. We won't lose our identity.

Things evolve. We used to run the option. We survived. I say this while absolutely loving our current staff. Thankful we are all here so far. I think there are a couple guys on staff that will be ready if/when the time comes. I also do not worry about this.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

I don't disagree, but there was no guarantee that CK was going to be this good. He has been amazing. But there were no promises. To me the key would be to keep a couple coaches. If Tyler is on staff, we are Bison. He gives the WHY BISON speech. We won't lose our identity.

Things evolve. We used to run the option. We survived. I say this while absolutely loving our current staff. Thankful we are all here so far. I think there are a couple guys on staff that will be ready if/when the time comes. I also do not worry about this.
    Babich is what concerns me. Guy could recruit good players, but didn't do much with them.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

I agree with you, and shows just how good the situation is if that is my biggest "worry." But, when you have culture and tradition like NDSU, it is optimal if we can keep continuity in coaching/culture long term which is more likely with an internal candidate. I suggest folks take a read of "Good to Great" if you have not.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Babich is what concerns me. Guy could recruit good players, but didn't do much with them.
    Mike Shula was terrible at Alabama too.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just as long as we don't go to a Bob Stitt type guy where the identity completely changes. Messingham threw in some of his own things into the offense but I don't think we went too far away from our identity.