Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/1 sdsu bunnies

Default Re: 2/1 sdsu bunnies

Happy to see Deng get aggressive last night. Lazy passed lead to turnovers and points last night. We have a lot of lazy passes during a game. Paul had an off night for him, but defense on him probably had a lot to do with that. AJ 1-7 from the field, come one man. We got called for 8 more fouls which lead to 16 more free throw attempts. Do we always foul jump shooters? Deng and Tyson need to continue to drive to the basket.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Things I liked last night:

Deng Geu - Finally got almost as many minutes as AJ and played well, was aggressive going to the basket and hustled after rebounds, made 2 mistakes in a row with about 4 minutes left and got pulled, I think those are things we just need to live with. Take him out, coach him up quick and get him right back in, he was our best offensive weapon last night he shoulda played 25-30 minutes, especially with AJ playing like complete shit again. I take back what I said last week about him starting to play better, apparently those 2 games were a fluke.

That I didn't see Dylan Miller touch the floor - some bs touch fouls on Spencer again hurt us but outside of a stretch where Rocky kept leaving Daum open to help on the ball screen I thought he played very well. Rocky is our best option to defend Daum and if we happen to meet them again in the Summit League I'm hopeful he'll understand better how to play those ball screens and not give up 4 open 3's in a span of about 5 minutes and we'll be much better off

Things I didn't like:
    Tyson Ward shooting 3's early in the shot clock - he needs to understand he's not our best option to take that shot and he needs to drive, he's very good going to the rim and dishing if he gets doubled, that needs to be his play, if he's open with less than 10 on the shot clock go ahead and take the shot but with 15-20 seconds left we need to work to get a better shot than that

AJ - 1-7 speaks for itself, when they are doubling Paul Miller and leaving you open you are the other senior you need to step up and make them pay, 1-7 with 2 turnovers and 3 fouls is not what a senior in this programs stat line should look like, need to be better

All in all it came down to 3 stats last night, us shooting 25% from 3, 13 turnovers (9 of them being steals) and 24 fouls leading to 25 points at the line for them. We just need to play a cleaner game and I do believe we have the talent to beat that team. Paul is gonna have to carry us though and he just didn't have it last night, credit their D for making it tough on him but he still got his shots and they just weren't falling. Right now we aren't good enough to beat good teams without Paul leading the way.

It was striking to me last night that physically we look like a team of high school kids playing against college men. And unfortunately that isn't' going to change any time soon. It also doesn't look like something that will be solved by adding weight/muscle. They are just smaller bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by BISONFAN4LIFE View Post
    This team has been on a downhill trend since the middle of last year and what has he done to attempt to correct. NOTHING! Same old weave, same old rotation, and sub par recruitment. Why do people keep giving him a free pass? He won with majority of Saul's guys. He is staring at sub 500 record for the last couple of years with 5 crappy non conference games per year. Maybe the seat should get hot. I don't think our AD will do it. Sorry to offend some diehard Richman guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Same old rotation???? Have you even been watching the last three games. Starting line up has changed. Subbing minutes have changed. Deng getting more minutes. If you watch we have had next year's team out there for the first time for extended stretches the last few games. If you can not see the changes both lineup and coaching you are not paying attention or don't understand the intricacies of basketball.
    On top of that I don't think they've ran the weave all year... and not sure how he's staring at a sub .500 record the last couple of years when 19-11 last year was his worst winning percentage so far in his tenure at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    On top of that I don't think they've ran the weave all year...
    So true, last year people were screaming that we needed more pick and roll and we are seeing a bunch of that this year. Now, the execution on it well that could definitely improve.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Haha yeah I wasn't gonna say anything about the weave but it's definitely a thing of the past, our offensive scheme is much better but yes, still lacks execution at times and we need to be a little smarter passing in certain situations but the weave has been basically nonexistent this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Haha yeah I wasn't gonna say anything about the weave but it's definitely a thing of the past, our offensive scheme is much better but yes, still lacks execution at times and we need to be a little smarter passing in certain situations but the weave has been basically nonexistent this year.
    The passing needs to be crisper and with purpose, watch when they are looking to pass you can see the hesitation as the gears are turning they are thinking and reacting instead of playing. Watch how many times our guys start a pass and pull it back, it is what makes Paul look so smooth. He is 2 steps ahead in his brain, he sets people up and executes be it either a step back 3 or a head fake and a drive or a stop and pop jumper.

We are very very long but don't take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    So true, last year people were screaming that we needed more pick and roll and we are seeing a bunch of that this year. Now, the execution on it well that could definitely improve.
    I don't know if this is just an NDSU issue. Maybe I am out of touch with how the pick & roll game is instructed, but I rarely see a proper roll at the HS and college level anymore. I want to see the screener (especially if a big guy) roll open to the ball, make themselves big and move towards the rim/lane. All too often you see the screener spin the wrong way and set up behind the 3 point line, even if they are not a 3 point shooter.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    As crappy as the execution has been at times, the weave looks to be a good option at this point. I can't believe I just said that.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    On top of that I don't think they've ran the weave all year... and not sure how he's staring at a sub .500 record the last couple of years when 19-11 last year was his worst winning percentage so far in his tenure at NDSU.
    We haven't run the weave all year? I know I haven't watched every game but....
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club