Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Rules Survey

Default Re: NCAA Rules Survey

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Leave the fricken game alone. Looks like a bunch of lawyers writing all that crap.
    Make football great again!
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Every sport at every level has tweaked their rules every year since the sport was invented. Forward passes used to be illegal. Sports evolve. They aren't changing rules just to change them.

As for hurdling vs. diving, hurdling is a foul at every level except NCAA and even then only the runner is allowed to do it. An offensive player diving over an opponent is legal at every level. I thinks that's a clear distinction of the safety of one act over the other. Just because there are examples of players being able to do it without contacting an opponent, it is extremely dangerous. I have no idea if there is support for passing this change but it is clearly a safety issue and very different from diving.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I doubt there is any data to support the change. It's a solution looking for a problem. How many hurdles did we see this year in 15 games? Zero. I can't even remember the last time i saw one post Andrew Bonnet and he never hurt himself or someone while doing it. It's no more dangerous than a receiver going up for a jump ball with 2 dbacks and landing on the ground. It's no more dangerous than a QB getting blindsided and crushed in the back. I agree it's viewed as a safety issue but there is zero evidence it's dangerous or a problem.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

A hurdle is defined as jumping over an opponent with your foot or knee first and the opponent is not touching the ground with anything other than their feet. So if the opponent is on the ground or has his hand on the ground it's not a hurdle. If you dive over a pile head first it's not a hurdle.

So you think diving head first is safer then hurdling?

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Not that you are saying he is but I don’t think he is saying that. He is just listing rules and defining terms

Every sport at every level has tweaked their rules every year since the sport was invented. Forward passes used to be illegal. Sports evolve. They aren't changing rules just to change them.

As for hurdling vs. diving, hurdling is a foul at every level except NCAA and even then only the runner is allowed to do it. An offensive player diving over an opponent is legal at every level. I thinks that's a clear distinction of the safety of one act over the other. Just because there are examples of players being able to do it without contacting an opponent, it is extremely dangerous. I have no idea if there is support for passing this change but it is clearly a safety issue and very different from diving.

Guess I should have quoted this post instead.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I would say generally yes. The head first is usually a dive on to a pile so it's much lower while a hurdle could result in either kicking an opponent or getting flipped head over heels. The latter is much less likely on a head first dive.

I would say generally yes. The head first is usually a dive on to a pile so it's much lower while a hurdle could result in either kicking an opponent or getting flipped head over heels. The latter is much less likely on a head first dive.

Why do the stripes continually want to screw with the game of football? There were plenty of rules 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Just call the game. Is it about the players or justifying more time for the refs to stand around delaying play? Do fans want the refs to decide the outcome or the players? As for rules shortening the game, maybe the greedy sponsors need to give up their choke hold on extending and changing the flow of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Why do the stripes continually want to screw with the game of football? There were plenty of rules 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Just call the game. Is it about the players or justifying more time for the refs to stand around delaying play? Do fans want the refs to decide the outcome or the players? As for rules shortening the game, maybe the greedy sponsors need to give up their choke hold on extending and changing the flow of the game?
    I dont think the stripes are the driving force on rule changes. I think The NCAA rules committee could be the culprit. But I also think they field suggestions from schools , coaches ADs or even players and fans.The committee looks for valid concerns and puts them forward like they are doing now looking for input.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I dont think the stripes are the driving force on rule changes. I think The NCAA rules committee could be the culprit. But I also think they field suggestions from schools , coaches ADs or even players and fans.The committee looks for valid concerns and puts them forward like they are doing now looking for input.
    Correct. The rules committee is all coaches. The rules editor is a former official who participates in the conversation but it's ultimately the coaches that propose and pass the rule changes. There is an oversight committee that ultimately approves those changes, but I'm not sure who is on that committee. I know it's not officials. Officials are invited to participate in the survey above, but they don't submit changes or vote on them.

Correct. The rules committee is all coaches. The rules editor is a former official who participates in the conversation but it's ultimately the coaches that propose and pass the rule changes. There is an oversight committee that ultimately approves those changes, but I'm not sure who is on that committee. I know it's not officials. Officials are invited to participate in the survey above, but they don't submit changes or vote on them.

Yeah its not like you guys need or want to learn more rules.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."