Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Rules Survey

Default Re: NCAA Rules Survey

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I remember we have done it on some punts where the ball has bounced first. Don't recall on kickoffs though.
    You can’t fair catch a punt that has bounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

Maybe we dropped to a knee or something. I was thinking we've done it before.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wasn't there a Ryan Smith return that was called back because he had originally called for a fair catch, the ball then bounced and he tried to return it??

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Wasn't there a Ryan Smith return that was called back because he had originally called for a fair catch, the ball then bounced and he tried to return it??
    Maybe, but that’s not a “fair catch” of a punt that bounced. What it is is a delay of game penalty I believe.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Maybe, but that’s not a “fair catch” of a punt that bounced. What it is is a delay of game penalty I believe.

Correct. I wanna say Dudzik did this more than once.

I believe you might be referring to a play where he "motioned" and yelled at his teammates to get out to the way as the punt was kicked short and he ran up and caught and took off. The officials took his arm motion as a fair catch signal even though I don't remember his arms going above his head.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Invalid Fair Catch Signal, I remember that one!

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe you might be referring to a play where he "motioned" and yelled at his teammates to get out to the way as the punt was kicked short and he ran up and caught and took off. The officials took his arm motion as a fair catch signal even though I don't remember his arms going above his head.
    I remember that one clearly. I thought Phil Hansen was going to explode on the radio over that call. He kept saying it's common to wave off your teammate and he never had his arm up all the way.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    That was the first year of any hand signal was going to be a fair catch signal.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Invalid Fair Catch Signal, I remember that one!
    Correct. A fair catch can only happen if the ball is "caught." By definition, a catch is gaining possession of a ball in flight. A recovery is gaining possession of a ball that has been grounded.

If you give any signal as a member of the return team, the ball will become dead immediately when possessed. If the signal is a valid fair catch signal and the ball is caught, you have a fair catch. If the ball is caught, only the player who signaled is protected, but you also can't tee off on a player who caught it when someone else gives the signal.

If the return player gives the get away signal, it's an invalid signal. There is no penalty other than the return team can't advance it once possessed. You could get a delay of game penalty if you do continue to advance it, but that is rarely called.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk