Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Rules Survey

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default NCAA Rules Survey

The NCAA rules committee is seeking input from coaches, administrators, and officials prior to the rules committee meeting. This usually is an indication of the types of things they are going to discuss. Most of these will not pass, but they are least discussing them. Here's something good to chew on during the offseason.

What is your opinion about the previous rules changes below?
    • It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.
    • The Horse Collar tackle now includes grabbing the nameplate area.

What is your opinion about the points of emphasis below?
    • Halftime intermission is 20 minutes and is not extended beyond that time.
    • Coaches may not leave the coaching box to protest officiating decisions.

NEW RULES TOPICS/EMPHASIS
    Share your opinion on the following:
    • After an official signals a Touchdown, the 40 second play clock will start for the Try.
    • After a punt or free kick where there is no subsequent media time-out, the 40 second play clock will start for the next snap.
    • The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
    • After an incomplete pass, the clock stops. When the ball is ready for play, the clock will start on the referee’s signal, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would start on the snap. (Note: This rule would mirror the out-of-bounds rules.)
    • The committee should allow, for Conference Games only, the experimental use of technology for Coach to Player communications.
    • Under current rules, hurdling is illegal EXCEPT by the ball carrier. It should also be illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle an opponent.
    • Under current rules, blindside blocks are legal unless the action is targeting. Blindside blocks would remain legal only if forcible contact was delivered with open hands and extended arms or if the block was a screen type block without delivering forcible contact.
    • Based on AFCA feedback, blocking below the waist in the open field on scrimmage downs should be illegal, just as blocking below the waist currently is during kick downs and after a change of possession. Should the committee consider making blocking below the waist illegal when the block occurs 10 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage on scrimmage plays?
    • The committee should consider not allowing symbols, words, numbers or logos on the mouthpiece with the exception of a single school, manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal label or trademark.
    • The committee should change the Instant Replay rules to allow the IR Official to review this foul only if the call was made on the field. This would be paired with a modification to the officiating mechanics that would state that “when in question” it is a foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield.
    • The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.
    • The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Offensive Pass Interference a 10 yard penalty from the previous spot.
    • Under current rules, it is illegal for the receiving team to form a three man wedge. Should the committee consider making a two man wedge illegal?
    • Under current rules, the replay official shall review every play of the game to determine if a stop is warranted. In order to potentially reduce the number of replay stops, the committee should allow replay to review all scoring plays and plays involving a change of possession, and every play inside the last two minutes of each half and during overtime. The head coach may initiate a challenge at any time within the game by utilizing a team timeout. If the challenge is successful, the head coach retains the challenge.

Default Re: NCAA Rules Survey

OMG, I hope most of these are not changed.

My strongest opinion would be on the clock stopping after an incomplete pass and (momentarily) for a first down.
    Coach to player communications - NOOOOOOO!
    Leave blindside and below the waist blocks alone.
    No spot foul on DPI! I hate that in the NFL. 15 yards is plenty.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

How in the heck do you make a 2 man wedge and then officiate that? Well those two players ran kind of close to each other so I guess its a wedge. WTF

Ball carrier can't hurdle...... WTF. I love watching guys wiff

Start the clock after an incompletion? Isn't that an integral part of the clock management portion of the game?

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't like any of them. Perhaps I have become a cranky old man. I especially don't like the D pass interference penalty, the changes to clock stoppages, and the play clock changes.
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Same as last year. Get a group of people with power to pass rules and they'll feel obligated to do it just because they can no matter how horrible the rule is. Two worst ones imo are the hurdling and wedge rules. What's next, receivers and db's can't jump for the ball because someone might end up with owee?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    How in the heck do you make a 2 man wedge and then officiate that? Well those two players ran kind of close to each other so I guess its a wedge. WTF

Ball carrier can't hurdle...... WTF. I love watching guys wiff

Start the clock after an incompletion? Isn't that an integral part of the clock management portion of the game?
    They would still keep the clock stopped for incomplete passes in the last 2 minutes. It would be similar to the runner going out of bounds.

The reason for the clock considerations is D1 TV games are now taking 3:30+ and they want to shorten. These clock changes won't impact that much. Our D3 games have the same number of incompletions, scores, and turnovers, and our average game time is 2:40-2:45. It's rare we go over 3:00. Two primary reasons - TV time outs and replay stoppages. I'm fine with the clock rules the way they are today.

Hurdling is actually very dangerous for the guy doing the hurdle. He can get flipped and hit his head/neck on the ground. I think there is some issue with the leg/knee into the defender, but that seems like a secondary issue. The hurdle that's successful looks awesome, but the ones that aren't successful are very dangerous. I'm fine either way because you don't actually see them that often.

I don't get the 2-man wedge. They passed the 3-man wedge a few years ago, and I didn't know it was a problem. I have never seen one on the field.

Good or bad the NCAA rules committee is all coaches. There is a rules editor who is a former official so he gets input, but these all come from coaches. Don't like the rules blame them.

I understand where it could be dangerous for the hurdler but no risk no reward
    Plus how do we get sweet highlights like this if it illegal to even try.

Everyone of those changes are ridiculous except for the horse collar

Hurdling illegal? OK I guess it's better to get your knee taken out . And what's a hurdle? Do they step on a guy laying on the ground?

Start the clock after a TD immediately? Good luck with reviews

Spot foul PI calls.. Never trust a ref

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Everyone of those changes are ridiculous except for the horse collar

Hurdling illegal? OK I guess it's better to get your knee taken out . And what's a hurdle? Do they step on a guy laying on the ground?

Start the clock after a TD immediately? Good luck with reviews

Spot foul PI calls.. Never trust a ref
    A hurdle is defined as jumping over an opponent with your foot or knee first and the opponent is not touching the ground with anything other than their feet. So if the opponent is on the ground or has his hand on the ground it's not a hurdle. If you dive over a pile head first it's not a hurdle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If Bonnet wasn't allowed to hurdle there would have been at least three players who could have wound up dead. Do you want that blood on your hands committee? Do you?!